Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Building small sailboats II

Please keep on topic.

The MiniCups were intended to be small cheap sailboats anybody could
build. However, they were too heavy due to the use of 1/4" (I used
3/16) ply and were not intended to be glassed so they did not last
long. I want a modern version using modern methods yielding a
considerably lighter boat that lasts longer. I also made major
improvements on the sail and spars so that problem is solved.
So, stitch and glue maybe with epoxy saturation of the wood and
covered with 4 oz glass? I am worried this might result in a heavier
boat because the weight of the fillets relative to the boat size may
be too much.
Is it worth trying to incorporate more high tech stuff like Corecell
or similar foam building materials?