I am Tosk I am Tosk is offline

Default Building small sailboats II

In article 875e9b9e-c24e-490b-85db-213b15323ce1
@i13g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, says...

Please keep on topic.

The MiniCups were intended to be small cheap sailboats anybody could
build. However, they were too heavy due to the use of 1/4" (I used
3/16) ply and were not intended to be glassed so they did not last
long. I want a modern version using modern methods yielding a
considerably lighter boat that lasts longer. I also made major
improvements on the sail and spars so that problem is solved.
So, stitch and glue maybe with epoxy saturation of the wood and
covered with 4 oz glass? I am worried this might result in a heavier
boat because the weight of the fillets relative to the boat size may
be too much.
Is it worth trying to incorporate more high tech stuff like Corecell
or similar foam building materials?

I say no. No it's not... If you insist on using sheathing on a boat that
was not designed to be sheathed (iirc), at least go light and leave the
inside of the hull primed and painted so moisture that gets in, and it
will, can vape out. I would also use 4 oz tightweave, available from
Larry at Raka.com in Flordia. Very light. Remember, the boat is not
trying to use the glass as a structural component, if you put it on the
bottom and say 4 inches up the sides (like my Brockway), it would serve
mostly as a skuff guard. Folks try to build hull integerity with the
glass, it should be done with the angles and frame.

Oh, and I doubt the boat was too heavy as you noted, remember you added
a lot to the weight of the origional designs, and probably went real
heavy with the glass and adhesives, fasteners, scantlings, etc which is
a mistake many first time builders make.. Trust the designer, or get
another plan...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!