BoatBanter.com

-   -   Larson - Certified POS (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1176-larson-certified-pos.html)

Clams Canino September 18th 03 02:29 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Actually Jim one of the boats he's considering is Glastron. Glaspar has
been extinct since the early 70's. If you're gonna flame someone - make
sure your asbestos panties are on securely next time.

-W

"Jim Kelly" wrote in message

I notice that one of the boats you are considering, due to your

misdirected
anger with Larson, is Glaspar. You clearly do not know much about boats

or who
manufacturer them.

Harry Krause September 18th 03 02:37 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:11:12 -0500, "Dan J.S." wrote:

"Jim Kelly" wrote in message
Larson did not build the depth finder, alternator, battery, trim gage,

trailer
or hour meter. You could have received these very same parts on a boat

that
cost twice as much.

I notice that one of the boats you are considering, due to your

misdirected
anger with Larson, is Glaspar. You clearly do not know much about boats

or who
manufacturer them.

Dale Darling wrote:

I wonder if you had the same attitude if you bought a car and it fell apart
on you, and someone would blame it on the manufacturer of the spark plugs,
alternator, battery and tires.

It is incumbent on the manufacturer to assure quality control of the
various purchased parts as well as those parts manufactured on their
direct control.

A poorly layed up hull due to bad resin would be the manufacturers
fault.... just as a poorly made alternator reflects on the overall
quality of the brand of boat. The product was not purchased from the
alternator manufacturer it was purchased from the boat manufacturer.

Another minefield for boat buyers is the fact that many manufacturers
ship the boat half-finished and the dealer half-finishes the job. Can
you imagine buying a car and having the dealer wire it, install the
electronics, the engine, and rig the steering mechanism? The more
people one involves in the equation the more potential for
finger-pointing and lack of satisfactory completion.

It isn't just Larson.... it is the process.... and it is what makes
THE DEALER such an important part of the equation of buying a boat....
since the manufacturers have decided to shirk their responsibility.

Forget not that more sophisticated boat buyers tend to buy quality boats
that are not loaded up with factory-selected electronics and certain
types of accessories. In that case, you need to work with a dealer who
has first-class riggers or with an electronics specialty shop.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Clams Canino September 18th 03 02:39 AM

Larson - Certified POS

By the way....... Glaston, Larson, and Four Winns are all owned by Genmar
now. That said each company has much independant controll. Four Winns is a
name known for high quality.

-W

"Dale Darling" wrote in message
.. .
I ordered a new 2003 Larson LXi 210 w/260 hp Volvo 5.7L GL/SX in March

2003
and picked it up in May. I purchased one because a friend bought a 2001

LXi
212 and had no problems with it.

Within the first 9 weeks, my boat had spent 21 days at the dealer due to

the
following issues:
Depth Finder didn't work from day 1. Out of stock. Replaced after 5
weeks.
Alternator bad. Replaced after 4 weeks.
Battery Replaced..
Grounding problem causing blower and radio not to work. Fixed.
Trim gauge would misread. Needle would float up and down. Fixed.
Trailer surge brake (EZ Loader tandem axle) actuator locks up brakes

but
will not disengage. Replaced.
Cockpit cover arrived 2 weeks late.
Left Bimini support pole not secure and would dislodge during

trailering
or on the water.
Hour meter didn't work. Fixed.
Cheesy stick-on graphics continually fell off.

What the hell was the OK QUALITY CHECK tag doing hanging from the transom

of
this piece of crap when it was put on a trailer?

I contacted Larson 3 times but only received an apology and some clothing.
Big deal! They even admitted to me that someone screwed up and I received
the transducer for the depth finder a week late because someone documented
that it shipped but never put it on the truck. OMG!

They didn't laugh when I said I would name the boat, "Lemon Juice". I
shouldn't have to haul the boat back to the dealer to replace items on a

new
boat.

Another POS story: The dealer wanted to give me a deal on their 2004

Cabrio
220 cuddy so I took it out for a sea trial. Get this, the sounder would

only
provide a reading while at idle speed, the trim gauge was worthless (I'm
better off guessing where the trim is) and the speedometer didn't work at
all! Did they take the parts off my old boat?

I started with a used 1998 Bayliner Capri 1850 SS (4.3L 190hp Merc) and

had
no problems whatsoever. Was I just lucky? I don't feel lucky. I just

wanted
a bigger boat. At the ramp other new Larson owners would ask me how I like
my boat. I think I scared them when I recited my dissatisfaction with the
piece of crap I had.

I no longer have the 210 and plan on buying another boat from Sea Ray,

Four
Winns, or Glastron. I live in Maine and I have 8 months of winter to

decide.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Larson or another
manufacturer?

Dale

Clams Canino September 18th 03 02:46 AM

Larson - Certified POS

VERY true. I know Four Winns ships them pretty much rigged and good to go.
I trust most dealer work as far as I can throw it. I just saw a newly
dealer rigged hull tonight - with NO 3M-5200 on the bolts that go THROUGH
the transom. The lack of sealant won't show up this year or next year. But a
few years down the road, long after warrenty expires, when that transom
rots out, the owner will be phucked. If I get a chance I'm gonna try to
smuggle a note into a recess in the boat evil grin.

-W

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

It isn't just Larson.... it is the process.... and it is what makes
THE DEALER such an important part of the equation of buying a boat....
since the manufacturers have decided to shirk their responsibility.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Joe Parsons September 18th 03 02:48 AM

Larson - Certified POS

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:39:53 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

By the way....... Glaston, Larson, and Four Winns are all owned by Genmar
now. That said each company has much independant controll. Four Winns is a
name known for high quality.

I've been very happy with my Four Winns. Build quality is excellent, and the
performance exceeds my expectations.

Joe Parsons

Clams Canino September 18th 03 03:01 AM

Evil tricks 101.

My last post reminded me............

Most restaurants cook off baked potatoes by wrapping them in a tinfoil
"baker wrap" and throwing them in the oven. Then they can throw the whole
tray on top of the oven to keep it warm/hot and sell the potatoes as they
are needed. A try that comes out at 5pm will be goot till at least 7:30
this way.

Now the correct way to serve said potato is to have the line cook slice it
open (in the foil usually) just before it goes out. The customer sees a nice
steaming spud, and it's all ready to accept butter / sour cream /
horseradish or whatever the diner see's fit to deposit in the potaoe.

Simple right?

What happens when a house doesn't cut open the potato 1st? Aside from the
fact that it might be bad in the middle (seen THAT happen) - the house
advantage is that it can recycle the spud if the foil remains undisturbed.
This might not be totally legal in some states - but it happens. Most places
will cut them in half and gut them to make fried tater skins , or twice
baked potatoes. Same thing happens to the "real" leftovers at the end of the
night.

But what if it's early in the night and a spud comes back in with the
wrapping still intact? An unscrupulous kitchen will throw it right back on
top of the oven - to go back out for dinner.

Which is why.... if I leave the whole potato untouched, I carefully insert
a little note and fix the foil back up nicely:

"Congratulations!! You got a fortune potato!!! It can't predict the future,
but in a past life (about 5:30pm on xx/xx/xx this was MY potato and I was
too full to eat it. I just thought you should know that. Enjoy!! "

I know a house that started cutting them open within a week of my visit....
hmmmmm???

--W

Insomniac September 18th 03 03:48 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Both boats I have owner I purchased new. 1993 SeaRay 170 and 2001 Maxxum
2550. Both had their issues in the first 1-2 years (as many here know from
last years rants). I have joked with my wife that our next boat should be
about two years old so that all of the kinks are worked out.

But the way I look at it, be thankful if the problems all occur and are
fixed during your warranty period. Think of the poor SOB's that put 10-20
hours a year on their boat then all the problems occur after the warranty.

Clams Canino September 18th 03 04:00 AM

Evil tricks 101.

Yanno, "In theory" there is nothing wrong with sending an untouched spud
back out still hot in the wrapper. But it's just not *right*. I already
proved (albeit benignly) that it can be tampered with, that's enough to make
it uncool.

I figgered that it was up to the 2nd owner to decide what to do with it.
:)

-W

I don't really have a problem with untouched spuds turning into skins, ditto
unused and untouched rolls turning into croutons - both spend time in a 375
degree deep fryer. But to just send it back out to the next customer -
that's shaving food costs a little TOO tight.

Trainfan1 September 18th 03 04:07 AM

Larson - Certified POS

By the way....... Glaston, Larson, and Four Winns are all owned by Genmar
now. That said each company has much independant controll. Four Winns is

name known for high quality.

And the Glastron & Larson VEC hulls are awesome... are they expanding their
lines to incorporate VEC into more models?

Rob
*
*
*