BoatBanter.com

-   -   Larson - Certified POS (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1176-larson-certified-pos.html)

Dale Darling September 17th 03 08:14 PM

Larson - Certified POS

I ordered a new 2003 Larson LXi 210 w/260 hp Volvo 5.7L GL/SX in March 2003
and picked it up in May. I purchased one because a friend bought a 2001 LXi
212 and had no problems with it.

Within the first 9 weeks, my boat had spent 21 days at the dealer due to the
following issues:
Depth Finder didn't work from day 1. Out of stock. Replaced after 5
weeks.
Alternator bad. Replaced after 4 weeks.
Battery Replaced..
Grounding problem causing blower and radio not to work. Fixed.
Trim gauge would misread. Needle would float up and down. Fixed.
Trailer surge brake (EZ Loader tandem axle) actuator locks up brakes but
will not disengage. Replaced.
Cockpit cover arrived 2 weeks late.
Left Bimini support pole not secure and would dislodge during trailering
or on the water.
Hour meter didn't work. Fixed.
Cheesy stick-on graphics continually fell off.

What the hell was the OK QUALITY CHECK tag doing hanging from the transom of
this piece of crap when it was put on a trailer?

I contacted Larson 3 times but only received an apology and some clothing.
Big deal! They even admitted to me that someone screwed up and I received
the transducer for the depth finder a week late because someone documented
that it shipped but never put it on the truck. OMG!

They didn't laugh when I said I would name the boat, "Lemon Juice". I
shouldn't have to haul the boat back to the dealer to replace items on a new
boat.

Another POS story: The dealer wanted to give me a deal on their 2004 Cabrio
220 cuddy so I took it out for a sea trial. Get this, the sounder would only
provide a reading while at idle speed, the trim gauge was worthless (I'm
better off guessing where the trim is) and the speedometer didn't work at
all! Did they take the parts off my old boat?

I started with a used 1998 Bayliner Capri 1850 SS (4.3L 190hp Merc) and had
no problems whatsoever. Was I just lucky? I don't feel lucky. I just wanted
a bigger boat. At the ramp other new Larson owners would ask me how I like
my boat. I think I scared them when I recited my dissatisfaction with the
piece of crap I had.

I no longer have the 210 and plan on buying another boat from Sea Ray, Four
Winns, or Glastron. I live in Maine and I have 8 months of winter to decide.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Larson or another
manufacturer?

Dale

Dan J.S. September 17th 03 08:36 PM

Larson - Certified POS

"Dale Darling" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I had a Wellcraft with similar problems you had. This is why we need
Japanese to enter the boat market again. The quality of American boats is
similar to the quality on 80's made American cars - it sucks! Unless you
are talking 30 + foot boats, most are just built poorly.

Clams Canino September 17th 03 09:03 PM

Larson - Certified POS

I love my new Seaswirl - but I gotta say I've noticed a variety of QC issues
with it too.

Mismounted cooler / same bimini issues / funky guage / missing snaps for the
snap in carpet / cheesy rub-rail / easily chipped gel-coat / totally
mislabled fuse block etc etc.......

I have mine all straightened out now - but I *can* do that stuff - the
average user would have been quite perplexed.

The problems don't seem to be with the *design* of the boats for the most
part. It's largely with assembly and QC, with some issues in the area of
"parts selection".

I don't know WTF is happening on the assembly lines.

-W

Lloyd Sumpter September 17th 03 10:57 PM

Larson - Certified POS

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:14:45 +0000, Dale Darling wrote:

I ordered a new 2003 Larson LXi 210 w/260 hp Volvo 5.7L GL/SX in March 2003
and picked it up in May. I purchased one because a friend bought a 2001 LXi
212 and had no problems with it.

Within the first 9 weeks, my boat had spent 21 days at the dealer due to the
following issues:

There's a guy temporarily in the slip next to mine in a 2000 26-ft Cobalt.
Why? Port engine cracked a head. Boat was immaculately maintained, 3yrs
old, engine lunched. Still on "warranty", but he has to stay at the dock,
waxing the hull over and over, for almost a month now (best weather we've
had in years), while the "dealer" fixes the problem ("parts on back-order...")

Makes me like my $5K 20-yr-old boat better and better...

Lloyd Sumpter

Bill Andersen September 17th 03 11:58 PM

Larson - Certified POS

While there were QC problems, Larson did apologize, correct them, and give
you some gifts.
Makes us curious as to what you wanted them to do.
Your reaction to their admission of a shipping error makes it seem that it's
the first time you heard of such a mistake.
Sounds like you just wanted to complain.

Steve Barker September 18th 03 12:26 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Sorry to hear of your problems. Our '01 210 LXI has been literally perfect
short of a noisy fuel pump that was promptly replaced. 75 hours now without
a hiccup.

Just FYI, the four you mentioned at the bottom come from the same place the
Larsen did.

http://www.genmar.com/

--
Steve
=======================

JR North September 18th 03 12:38 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Teething problems. Most of the stuff isn't Larson, but other
manufacturers stuff. True, a quality check *should* have
found some of the problems. Others, maybe not.
My MaXum 2550 SCR, new in 1990, had it's bitch list also.
The tach didn't work. They said they had to order another
one. I looked under the dash; it was just unplugged. The
power steering actuator chattered on turns. They replaced
it, cross threaded the pipes, and I found out when I got a
couple quarts of PS fluid in the bilge my first time out
afterwards. Several other small items; I bitched their
service dept blue until they were all corrected. Under
warranty. Now, 13 years old, the boat is perfect; no other
major problems.
In accessing the boat's quality, look to the fit/finish,
construction, power package alignment, hull lay up,
controls, wiring integrity. If the deck seam, portholes,
hatches leak, if the bulkheads pull loose, or if the deck
stress cracks or pops off when you take a capped 5 footer in
the kisser, then you have a POS. Otherwise, make them fix
everything, under warranty, and enjoy the boat.
JR

Jim Kelly September 18th 03 01:15 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Larson did not build the depth finder, alternator, battery, trim gage, trailer
or hour meter. You could have received these very same parts on a boat that
cost twice as much.

I notice that one of the boats you are considering, due to your misdirected
anger with Larson, is Glaspar. You clearly do not know much about boats or who
manufacturer them.

Dan J.S. September 18th 03 02:11 AM

Larson - Certified POS

"Jim Kelly" wrote in message
Larson did not build the depth finder, alternator, battery, trim gage,

trailer
or hour meter. You could have received these very same parts on a boat

that
cost twice as much.

I notice that one of the boats you are considering, due to your

misdirected
anger with Larson, is Glaspar. You clearly do not know much about boats

or who
manufacturer them.

Dale Darling wrote:

I wonder if you had the same attitude if you bought a car and it fell apart
on you, and someone would blame it on the manufacturer of the spark plugs,
alternator, battery and tires.

Clams Canino September 18th 03 02:29 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Actually Jim one of the boats he's considering is Glastron. Glaspar has
been extinct since the early 70's. If you're gonna flame someone - make
sure your asbestos panties are on securely next time.

-W

Harry Krause September 18th 03 02:37 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Gene Kearns wrote:

Dale Darling wrote:

I wonder if you had the same attitude if you bought a car and it fell apart
on you, and someone would blame it on the manufacturer of the spark plugs,
alternator, battery and tires.

It is incumbent on the manufacturer to assure quality control of the
various purchased parts as well as those parts manufactured on their
direct control.

A poorly layed up hull due to bad resin would be the manufacturers
fault.... just as a poorly made alternator reflects on the overall
quality of the brand of boat. The product was not purchased from the
alternator manufacturer it was purchased from the boat manufacturer.

Another minefield for boat buyers is the fact that many manufacturers
ship the boat half-finished and the dealer half-finishes the job. Can
you imagine buying a car and having the dealer wire it, install the
electronics, the engine, and rig the steering mechanism? The more
people one involves in the equation the more potential for
finger-pointing and lack of satisfactory completion.

It isn't just Larson.... it is the process.... and it is what makes
THE DEALER such an important part of the equation of buying a boat....
since the manufacturers have decided to shirk their responsibility.

Forget not that more sophisticated boat buyers tend to buy quality boats
that are not loaded up with factory-selected electronics and certain
types of accessories. In that case, you need to work with a dealer who
has first-class riggers or with an electronics specialty shop.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Clams Canino September 18th 03 02:39 AM

Larson - Certified POS

By the way....... Glaston, Larson, and Four Winns are all owned by Genmar
now. That said each company has much independant controll. Four Winns is a
name known for high quality.

-W

Clams Canino September 18th 03 02:46 AM

Larson - Certified POS

VERY true. I know Four Winns ships them pretty much rigged and good to go.
I trust most dealer work as far as I can throw it. I just saw a newly
dealer rigged hull tonight - with NO 3M-5200 on the bolts that go THROUGH
the transom. The lack of sealant won't show up this year or next year. But a
few years down the road, long after warrenty expires, when that transom
rots out, the owner will be phucked. If I get a chance I'm gonna try to
smuggle a note into a recess in the boat evil grin.

-W

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

It isn't just Larson.... it is the process.... and it is what makes
THE DEALER such an important part of the equation of buying a boat....
since the manufacturers have decided to shirk their responsibility.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Joe Parsons September 18th 03 02:48 AM

Larson - Certified POS

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:39:53 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

By the way....... Glaston, Larson, and Four Winns are all owned by Genmar
now. That said each company has much independant controll. Four Winns is a
name known for high quality.

I've been very happy with my Four Winns. Build quality is excellent, and the
performance exceeds my expectations.

Joe Parsons

Clams Canino September 18th 03 03:01 AM

Evil tricks 101.

My last post reminded me............

Most restaurants cook off baked potatoes by wrapping them in a tinfoil
"baker wrap" and throwing them in the oven. Then they can throw the whole
tray on top of the oven to keep it warm/hot and sell the potatoes as they
are needed. A try that comes out at 5pm will be goot till at least 7:30
this way.

Now the correct way to serve said potato is to have the line cook slice it
open (in the foil usually) just before it goes out. The customer sees a nice
steaming spud, and it's all ready to accept butter / sour cream /
horseradish or whatever the diner see's fit to deposit in the potaoe.

Simple right?

What happens when a house doesn't cut open the potato 1st? Aside from the
fact that it might be bad in the middle (seen THAT happen) - the house
advantage is that it can recycle the spud if the foil remains undisturbed.
This might not be totally legal in some states - but it happens. Most places
will cut them in half and gut them to make fried tater skins , or twice
baked potatoes. Same thing happens to the "real" leftovers at the end of the
night.

But what if it's early in the night and a spud comes back in with the
wrapping still intact? An unscrupulous kitchen will throw it right back on
top of the oven - to go back out for dinner.

Which is why.... if I leave the whole potato untouched, I carefully insert
a little note and fix the foil back up nicely:

"Congratulations!! You got a fortune potato!!! It can't predict the future,
but in a past life (about 5:30pm on xx/xx/xx this was MY potato and I was
too full to eat it. I just thought you should know that. Enjoy!! "

I know a house that started cutting them open within a week of my visit....
hmmmmm???

--W

Insomniac September 18th 03 03:48 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Both boats I have owner I purchased new. 1993 SeaRay 170 and 2001 Maxxum
2550. Both had their issues in the first 1-2 years (as many here know from
last years rants). I have joked with my wife that our next boat should be
about two years old so that all of the kinks are worked out.

But the way I look at it, be thankful if the problems all occur and are
fixed during your warranty period. Think of the poor SOB's that put 10-20
hours a year on their boat then all the problems occur after the warranty.

Clams Canino September 18th 03 04:00 AM

Evil tricks 101.

Yanno, "In theory" there is nothing wrong with sending an untouched spud
back out still hot in the wrapper. But it's just not *right*. I already
proved (albeit benignly) that it can be tampered with, that's enough to make
it uncool.

I figgered that it was up to the 2nd owner to decide what to do with it.
:)

-W

I don't really have a problem with untouched spuds turning into skins, ditto
unused and untouched rolls turning into croutons - both spend time in a 375
degree deep fryer. But to just send it back out to the next customer -
that's shaving food costs a little TOO tight.

Trainfan1 September 18th 03 04:07 AM

Larson - Certified POS

By the way....... Glaston, Larson, and Four Winns are all owned by Genmar
now. That said each company has much independant controll. Four Winns is

name known for high quality.

And the Glastron & Larson VEC hulls are awesome... are they expanding their
lines to incorporate VEC into more models?

Rob
*
*
*

Bob La Londe September 18th 03 04:09 AM

Larson - Certified POS

"Dale Darling" wrote in message
.. .

I started with a used 1998 Bayliner Capri 1850 SS (4.3L 190hp Merc) and

had
no problems whatsoever. Was I just lucky? I don't feel lucky. I just

wanted
a bigger boat. At the ramp other new Larson owners would ask me how I like
my boat. I think I scared them when I recited my dissatisfaction with the
piece of crap I had.

My dad had the transom rot out of his 22' Bayliner Trophy after only a
couple years from brand new. MInd you he lives int he middle of the Sonoran
Desert so it got to dry completely between uses.

He had the transom rebuilt (looks very good) by a rebuilder and hung a
bracket off of it to set it up for twin 150 HP motors. He hasn't had any
other problem with it. Well, except for the stainless steel prop I chewed
up on a grocery cart in the water under London Bridge.

They 150 HP outboard it came with was a little too small for it, but with
twins on it it literally leaps out of the water to get up on step.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Jim Kelly September 18th 03 04:24 AM

Larson - Certified POS

Right you are sir. As you noted, I meant Glastron not Glaspar. There haven't
been any G3 ski boats built for some time.

Regarding my comments on the problems encountered, there are only a few
manufacturers of components such as alternators and gages and these few
manufacturers supply the entire boat building industry. It is unfortunate
that this gentleman had so many problems, but I still maintain it is
unrealistic to conclude that Larson boats are of inferior quality based on the
fact that he was unlucky in receiving an unusual number of defective vendor
supplied parts that are in common use in the industry.

Clams Canino September 18th 03 04:37 AM

Larson - Certified POS

And I maintain that (at least in his case) Larson QC sucked the big weenie,
spinning the blame (at least in part) back to Larson.

Also IMHO the salesman (who makes enough commision on a deal to spend some
time) outta go out with the customer and take at least a 1 hour shakedown
cruise. The benifits to this are overwhelming. The customer learns basic
operation and boater safety. Initial break in of the motor is supervised.
And there is a decent chance that (assuming the salesman is looking for
trouble) that a lot of the "infant mortality" issues will be found and dealt
with 1st time around.

-W

Backyard Renegade September 18th 03 01:32 PM

Evil tricks 101.

"Clams Canino" wrote in message . net...
Yanno, "In theory" there is nothing wrong with sending an untouched spud
back out still hot in the wrapper. But it's just not *right*. I already
proved (albeit benignly) that it can be tampered with, that's enough to make
it uncool.

I figgered that it was up to the 2nd owner to decide what to do with it.
:)

-W

Haveing worked in a few kitchens I could tell you some horror stories.
The best ones would be when I ran a small pub for a old fellow who
dove the dumpster every morning to see what happened in the pub the
night before. We would really have to watch him to see that he did not
bring back some green roast beef or bad tomatoes and try to stick them
back in the cooler... Don't worry, I had someone stationed on him
every morning.
Scotty

Paul September 18th 03 01:40 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Another minefield for boat buyers is the fact that many manufacturers
ship the boat half-finished and the dealer half-finishes the job. Can
you imagine buying a car and having the dealer wire it, install the
electronics, the engine, and rig the steering mechanism? The more
people one involves in the equation the more potential for
finger-pointing and lack of satisfactory completion.

I wonder why the manufacturers do this? Is it an incentive to a dealer to
carry their line? Perhaps pragmatism since the manufacturer can't know what
finishing out options you might choose?

It seems like a tremedously bad idea as far as being able to control quality
goes and since the manufacturer's name is the one that gets sullied they
must have a *really* good reason for doing it.

I would be afraid to afix my company name to something that is finished out
by someone else. It must frustrate the hell out of them.

Harlan Lachman September 18th 03 01:53 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Bill, maybe I missed his point. I thought he was less concerned with
Larson and his dealer fixing the problems as to wondering why they
existed at all, especially given the number of them in a boat that had
supposedly gone through a rigorous quality control check -- and boasted
about this QC program to the consumer with a sticker.

Harlan

Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!

Dale Darling September 18th 03 03:25 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Hi.

I'm glad to hear your boat is running perfect! This is the kind of feedback
I was hoping for. Good or bad..I simple wanted to know about other
experiences with Larson.

I don't see many Larsons in the lakes or the coastal bays around Maine
compared to the numerous other Genmar brands. I do know Genmar Holdings owns
many other brands. The other brands I mentioned sell many more boats
according to a market share chart I saw earlier this year.

So, get out of the office and go boating!

Cheers,
Dale

Dale Darling September 18th 03 03:26 PM

Larson - Certified POS

I don't like to complain. In fact, I've never posted an experience like this
before. Yes, Larson did apologize. After 3 weeks I contacted Larson about
the transducer and asked how they are building new boats without
transducers. The person I spoke to said it was a good point. He said he
would ship it that day. My reaction to the admission of the shipping error
is that the person I spoke to said he would make sure it shipped out. As far
as the gifts go, a couple shirts, a blanket and a personal cooler are not
enough to make up for a $27K purchase that was at the dealer for repairs for
21 days? Is that enough to satisfy you?

I wouldn't have contacted Larson if so many of the items on the boat package
didn't fail.

I posted my experience because I wanted to get feedback from other Larson
owners and because the second Larson I looked at had 2 similar
instrumentation problems on the sea trial. And 1 instrument didn't work at
all.

You're right, they did correct all problems after 3 months. Summers are
extremely short up here.

Dale Darling September 18th 03 03:37 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Hi. Nice, "teething problems"! I understand that the other manufactuers
stuff is the problem, I only wish that some of them were caught before I
took delivery. The boat has nice lines, handles very well and was
comfortable.

I didn't mention that while running on the lake one day I ran into some good
wind driven waves and saw the walk-through windshield, which was closed,
separate enough from the starboard windshield so that the support lip which
keeps the windshield closed didn't have anything to support it. So, it fell
below the starboard windshield. This happened twice. What a pain it was to
separate the windshields enough to swing the center windshield up.

Like anything else, I guess, this was a big learning experience for me.

Thanks for the tips!

Dale Darling September 18th 03 03:46 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Hi. Yes, I do know that Four Winns and Glastron are owned by Genmar
Holdings. I also know that they didn't build the items that I had problems
with.

My issue is: Were these items tested at Larson before the boat was shipped
to the dealer for me to pick up?

JohnH September 18th 03 03:59 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Dale Darling wrote:

[...]

You've given me enough reason to never look at a Larson!

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Dale Darling September 18th 03 04:36 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Jim,

Two of the other brands I am considering, which are also owned by Genmar,
are Four Winns and Glastron. Not Glaspar from long ago. Please make sure all
of your ducks are lined up before you flame me.

Dale

Octopussy September 18th 03 09:08 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Yes Maine summers are WAY too short...... =-/

Where do you boat?
Hope all is well with your new Larson.....

Jeff B In Maine

Bryan Greer September 19th 03 07:42 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Larson manufactures the hull. Any problems with that? Sounds like most of
your problems were with the rigging job. That was probably done at your
dealer. So, unless that hull is cracked, it seems your issues are at the
dealer or with the makers of the equipment involved.

--
Bryan D. Greer

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work
at it, it's golf."...Bob Hope

Paul Schilter September 19th 03 09:55 PM

Larson - Certified POS

Bryan,
I believe that the manufacturer would be the one that installs things
like instrumentation. Dale's problems seem to me to stem more from the
manufacturer than the dealer.
Paul