Default Trim tab adjustment

While out cruisin' around with the Yukon, I had forgotten my tiller extender
and had to sit sideways most of the time to steer.
I found a bit of resistance, that became tiring over the afternoon, when I
pulled the tiller handle back to me in order to steer to port.
This afternoon, I loosened the trim tab and centered it by eye. The forward
part of the tab was noticeably pointing to port.
I may also have to loosen the steering friction adjustment screw to make
the movement nice & smooth.
I'll see how it feels the next time out.

On 7/26/10 4:12 PM, YukonBound wrote:
While out cruisin' around with the Yukon, I had forgotten my tiller
extender and had to sit sideways most of the time to steer.
I found a bit of resistance, that became tiring over the afternoon, when
I pulled the tiller handle back to me in order to steer to port.
This afternoon, I loosened the trim tab and centered it by eye. The
forward part of the tab was noticeably pointing to port.
I may also have to loosen the steering friction adjustment screw to make
the movement nice & smooth.
I'll see how it feels the next time out.

What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger!

YukonBound wrote:
While out cruisin' around with the Yukon, I had forgotten my tiller
extender and had to sit sideways most of the time to steer.
I found a bit of resistance, that became tiring over the afternoon,
when I pulled the tiller handle back to me in order to steer to port.
This afternoon, I loosened the trim tab and centered it by eye. The
forward part of the tab was noticeably pointing to port.
I may also have to loosen the steering friction adjustment screw to
make the movement nice & smooth.
I'll see how it feels the next time out.

The tab was designed to be off-center to compensate for prop torque so
it should not be parallel to the keel or they wouldn't be adjustable.
You have to find a sweet spot so it runs straight at your desired
speed. Faster, or slower, speeds will produce a pull in one direction
or the other. A small OB like that shouldn't be affected by it much
once you get it dialed in.

Loosening the steering friction will only make it more pronounced if
your tab is off.

First time out in July???

Stuck trim tab [email protected] General 2 June 14th 08 02:53 PM
Leaking trim tab Mike C General 11 September 15th 07 01:42 AM
trim tab removal [email protected] General 30 October 21st 06 02:01 AM
trim tab question RB General 0 August 19th 06 04:01 PM
Trim Tab Joe ASA 12 May 25th 06 06:36 PM