BoatBanter.com

-   -   ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/116600-ah-yes-latest-my-company-401k.html)

bpuharic July 20th 10 10:47 PM

ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 05:03:58 -0400, "Charles C."
wrote:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:09:37 -0400, "Charles C."
wrote:

The paper value of those investments right now is about four to five times
the initial investment, despite the meltdown of 2008. I suppose I could
complain that without the meltdown the stock values would be much higher,
but I don't regard that as loses. Loses would mean the value of the
investments today are less than the original deposit into the account.

what they represent is a loss of time. if you're 20 you have no
problem. in the next 40 years you'll be OK

if, however, you're a baby boomer, well that's a different story

CC

So, in other words, I should be screaming and bitching about the "loss" of
money that I never earned or had. I see. Starting to understand how the
left thinks.

go ahead and try to get a loan using your 401K as collateral

see what happens

CC

Larry[_25_] July 20th 10 11:59 PM

ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K

bpuharic wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:37:27 -0400, wrote:

Certain income funds are just as productive as money market funds. The
NAV will vary - even drop for a while, but you are adding shares through
reinvested dividends.

IOW buy low

sell high

who cudda guessed.

Evidently you didn't.

Larry[_25_] July 21st 10 12:00 AM

ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K

bpuharic wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:21:25 -0400, wrote:

bpuharic wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:24:45 -0600,
wrote:

uh huh. if that's the case what happened to the 14 trillion wall
street lost in equity over the last 3 years?

You are obviously suffering financially yet you still think the Dems are
on your side?

yeah.

when's the last time the GOP proposed a capital gains tax INCREASE?

oh. never.

QED

Why do you have to worry about that? Are you at retirement age?

Larry[_25_] July 21st 10 12:04 AM

ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K

John H wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:10:30 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:46:34 -0400, "Harold"
wrote:

http://screen.yahoo.com/funds.html

and here is where you're confused. 401K's are managed by fund
managers...the funds they manage CAN do pretty well on an individual
basis. yet, unless you're a full time manager yourself, you have NO
idea which ones these are going to be.

Move your $40 to a money market fund and STFU.

You'd think all the Limo Liberals here would get up a collection for poor
bpuharic

notice how the right ignores the situation facing the middle class?

the rich are doing fine...so that's all that matters

Seriously, Bob, do you really think all the conservatives here, or anywhere, are
rich? Do you not think a bunch of us might be middle class? Yet you are the one
doing all the whining because you paid little attention to your investment.

I asked if your 401K had a money market fund. By putting your money in same, you
could have prevented the losses you took.

Don't they all? If he has/had a company match - it would be free money,
too!

Larry[_25_] July 21st 10 12:06 AM

[...]

When would any lender accept a 401K account as collateral?

Canuck57[_9_] July 21st 10 12:31 AM

ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K

On 18/07/2010 9:00 PM, bpuharic wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:51:17 -0600,
wrote:

On 18/07/2010 12:16 PM, bpuharic wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:49:21 -0400, wrote:

fine. when you become 100M middle class americans, you be sure and let
me know, OK?

again...the question:

which 401K funds manager...magellan, shearson, chase, etc...is doing
better today than in 2006?

go ahead. take your time

I guess you don't have the right mondset.

Money is attracted to those who know how to manage it.

if that's true

why has the US economy collapsed. you mean to tell me there's NO ONE
in the US who knows how to mamage money??

you sure are stupid

Simple, US government and peoples hit the tipping point where they no
longer attract money.

There is only so much corruption, bailout and entitlement a system can
stand before the tipping point is reached.

--

Government has liberals, idealists and lawyers, but where is the common
sense?

Canuck57[_9_] July 21st 10 12:37 AM

On 18/07/2010 11:23 PM, bpuharic wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:02:54 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:00:52 -0400, wrote:

if that's true

why has the US economy collapsed. you mean to tell me there's NO ONE
in the US who knows how to mamage money??

There are lots of people who have made lots of money in the last 2
years by managing money. It is just not 401k and mutual fund managers.

yah. they're called wall street hedge fund managers. they're doing
fine.

middle class america? still getting screwed

I have done quite well with my middle class income and the markets,
quite good actually as the democrats created a create buying oppotunity
by trashing the US federal economics. For if they hadn't, I wouldn't
have the average of 25%++ year over year return for the last three years
on my US accounts.

Just because you invest in dogs does not mean everyone did.

Canuck57[_9_] July 21st 10 12:42 AM

On 20/07/2010 4:59 PM, Larry wrote:
bpuharic wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:37:27 -0400, wrote:

Certain income funds are just as productive as money market funds. The
NAV will vary - even drop for a while, but you are adding shares through
reinvested dividends.

IOW buy low

sell high

who cudda guessed.

Evidently you didn't.

Stupid too, one of my faves was buying Ford for under $2.25 and selling
at over $6.75, I know, could have held out for $11 but never got burned
taking profit.

bpuharic probably just wet his pants when the market was giving hot deals.

Canuck57[_9_] July 21st 10 12:44 AM

ah, yes, the latest on my company 401K

On 20/07/2010 4:47 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:08:45 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:39:08 -0400, wrote:

wrote in message
On Mo

Go to the link below and plug in "Up more than 0%" for the 3 year return
option of the screener. The other entries remain in the default setting.

http://screen.yahoo.com/funds.html

and here is where you're confused. 401K's are managed by fund
managers...the funds they manage CAN do pretty well on an individual
basis. yet, unless you're a full time manager yourself, you have NO
idea which ones these are going to be.

I'm not confused. When I was working the 401K I had options to invest in.
There was a group of mutual funds, some government obligations and a
GUARANTEED interest option. If you, THE MANAGER, selected the guaranteed
interest option you would not have lost a penny in the last three years. Or
"I" could select a single mutual fund for my money.

ahem. let's see....the number of economists predicting this collapse
was about

5.

That may be right but "economists" are largely idiots from what I have
seen. Thee were plenty of hedge fund managers who saw this coming.
Ever hear of the Goldman Sachs thing?
I know for a fact Andy Hannigan at Centex Homes knew this was coming
as early as 2q07. They were pulling back by then.

Smart money manager then, nothing wrong with dumping an investment that
you can see going south in 6 months. He was on the ball.

Lots of GM and GMAC investers sure wish they did.

Canuck57[_9_] July 21st 10 12:47 AM

On 20/07/2010 3:07 PM, bpuharic wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 06:47:48 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:08:45 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 07:39:08 -0400, wrote:

ahem. let's see....the number of economists predicting this collapse
was about

5.

That may be right but "economists" are largely idiots from what I have
seen.

now THAT is true...

Thee were plenty of hedge fund managers who saw this coming.
Ever hear of the Goldman Sachs thing?
I know for a fact Andy Hannigan at Centex Homes knew this was coming
as early as 2q07. They were pulling back by then.

and there as many HF managers who saw this coming as economists

The earliest predictor I know of was Ron Paul, circa 2002 to 2004. I
listened and I watched. Huge reason that by 2004 I was well in the
swing of moving out of US equity and USDs. Going from 90% in US at 2002
to 12% in 2007. Saved me a lot of losses.