scottht

Default Rough weather boating

I will say that this is very good advise.

Paul wrote:

How far would the cruise be for you, about 50 miles? If you're backed off
from plane because of the wave conditions that could take you 6 hours
easily. A nice length for a cruise in nice weather but it might not be a ton
of fun in bigger waves.

Your boat is 26 years old, you might want to rack up more hours close to the
marina first while you figure out what needs work.

Plus, you're new to that boat. Do you feel familiar enough with the systems
to handle problems? If your engine starts acting up will you be able to
diagnose and troubleshoot it? I think in a previous post when someone
mentioned for you to check the leg for looseness you weren't sure what a leg
was.

I assume you've decided on a GPS model and purchased it and have become
familiar with its operation? It was just 4 days ago that you posted a
question asking for input on GPS models.

Since you asked, I would consider it too risky a venture considering the
above. I wouldn't do it yet and I've had my boat about as long as you, it's
newer, heavier and has two engines.

Before setting a course out of sight of land in questionable seas I would
vote for being familiar, competent and capable with all of the systems. I
would also vote for having put enough hours on it to get to know its quirks.
I don't meet those criteria yet.

Take your time this season, have fun, stay close to the marina, figure
things out. There's plenty of time next season for longer cruises.

"Dionysus Feldman" wrote in message
Does anyone have any advice for facing 3+ foot waves in a 24-foot (Sea
Ray 240 SRV -- planing -- ~5000 lb displacement) boat?

How do I know the difference between the jitters and being stupid?

(We want to go across Lake Michigan to Chicago this weekend, and the
weather might be rough.)

To Anyone & Everyone New To Boating Capt. Frank Hopkins General 8 August 23rd 03 12:28 AM
**FINALLY** went boating today! YEAH!!!! frank news General 0 August 14th 03 10:36 PM
Boating Classes NRUSPS General 0 August 8th 03 06:27 PM
Is there boating on the Chester Creek, PA? Ramp? designo General 0 August 5th 03 06:07 PM
Unlike the political posters, I went boating. Calif Bill General 5 August 4th 03 07:07 PM