Tim Tim is offline

Default More electric power for the Johnson Sea Horse 85....

I'm doing some thinking. I'm not a slave to fashion, but I am to
function. There's enough shaft space on the top of my v4's flywheel to
mount another pulley, and I'm considering mounting about a 50-75 amp
12volt alternator on an external bracket and running a belt though the
cowling. The reason why is because the meager 10 amp stator on the
engine itself jsut isn't going to cut it. I can modify the brackets so
the external alternator is independant of being under the hood with
the gas fumes. I know the 85 will suck gas anyhow, so what's a bit
extra drag?

And I know the contraption will look like a tumr hanging off the side
or rear of the engine, but I can do some specific cowling work to
modify it so it isnt' so 'tacky' . Even Rube Goldberg had good
ideas... sometimes.

But also like what Gfretwell pointed out, once can make a charging
system off a small gasoline lawnmower engine contraption. I've done
this too. But there are some really neat, small and highly efficient
alternators ont he market noow that have less drag of horspower to
produce the same amount of wattage as apposed to even the automotive
units made 20 years ago.

In other words, I can make a simple 30 amp, self regulated unit run
off a 40cc chain-saw engine.and the exhaust can be quieted down so you
don't hear all the buzzing racket, and this can be an advantage
because both engines would share the same fuel mixture.

OR, I might ust go by an 1800w gasoline inverter power pack.

Even though they may not go very far, the wheels are turning
hk hk is offline

On 4/30/10 8:57 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/2ejjkbb

About a grand, Honda, quiet, works...no experimentation needed. Unlikely
to get you pulled over by Homeland Security types who think that device
you built and plopped on your boat is a detonator for a nuclear device.

--
The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.

On Apr 30, 9:07*am, hk wrote:
On 4/30/10 8:57 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.- Hide quoted text -

Built and plopped on? Just because you have absolutely no mechanical
skills doesn't mean that someone else doesn't.
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 30, 8:07*am, hk wrote:
On 4/30/10 8:57 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, Harry. but I'd just as soon make something.
I mean, I have the parts and it is in my line of work, and I'm an auto-
electric mechanic so.....

It just seems I should be able to come up with something I know about
instead of paying a wad for somebody's stuff. And I believe I can do
it for a 10th of what that Honda would run....if not less. Like I
mentioned. I'm not a slave to fashion, and we're going places where
fish poop, and not a gala outing at the Yacht Club.

Besides, if it goes overboard, there's no real loss, but the Honda?
I'd probably have to go diving for that one.
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 30, 8:56*am, Loogypicker wrote:
On Apr 30, 9:07*am, hk wrote:

On 4/30/10 8:57 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

skills doesn't mean that someone else doesn't.- Hide quoted text -

I think this sums it up, Loog.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even
though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits
who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray
twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. "
Theodore Roosevelt

On Apr 30, 9:07*am, hk wrote:

On 4/30/10 8:57 AM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Theodore Roosevelt- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, brother!
Jim Jim is offline

Tim wrote:

I think this sums it up, Loog.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even
though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits
who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray
twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. "
Theodore Roosevelt

Just figure out how many fingers that's worth before doing anything.

Jim - Always count my fingers before getting brave.
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 30, 11:19*am, Jim wrote:
Tim wrote:

I think this sums it up, Loog.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even
though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits
who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray
twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. "
Theodore Roosevelt

Just figure out how many fingers that's worth before doing anything.

Jim - Always count my fingers before getting brave.

And make sure not to take a leak over the back of the boat?

?8^ 0

On Apr 30, 12:23*pm, Tim wrote:
On Apr 30, 11:19*am, Jim wrote:

Tim wrote:

I think this sums it up, Loog.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even
though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits
who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray
twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. "
Theodore Roosevelt

Just figure out how many fingers that's worth before doing anything.

Jim - Always count my fingers before getting brave.

And make sure not to take a leak over the back of the boat?

?8^ 0

Back before college, one of the shops I worked in had a condensor
charger for checking Briggs condensors. You charge it up and watch
leak down then discharge because if you didn't you get a hell of a
shock. Boss's kid always came in after school and thought he could
mess with anything he wanted, take your tools, etc. So I charged a
condensor up just before I knew he'd be there, and sat it on my steel
bench. Kid comes in, and of COURSE leans over the bench and grabs said
condensor, well, tried to. When a spark hit his hand when it was about
half an inch away, he let out a scream and hauled ass!

In article ef0a7504-84c1-4250-a554-
,
says...

On Apr 30, 12:23*pm, Tim wrote:
On Apr 30, 11:19*am, Jim wrote:

Tim wrote:

[...]

We had a Dr. Science type when I grew up. He made a condenser from
cardboard, wax paper, and copper if I remember correctly. He would
charge it with the transformer from his Lionel train set and bring it to
school. He could touch your leg with the thing and you would jump clean
out of your chair.

One day at a smoke out in his basement I saw him sitting across the
room. He pulled up this three foot plastic cannon and fired it right at
me. The carefully rolled garbage bag he had as a projectile came flying
out and opened like a parachute about half way across the room, right in
front of me, and lightly settled to the floor.. Frekin, blew me away...
Distilled his own petroleum and did the human blow torch thing, he could
spit a flame about 15 feet up...

Oh well, we are well into the racing season and The Mouse is just
amazing on the 250. Came in fifth over all last weekend in her first
supercross race, she loves supercross, doing it again tomorrow. Two pros
came up to us yesterday during practice and told us her improvement is
amazing, she has already dropped 20+ seconds off the long track time in
just three weeks of being back at it... I am in awe really, as are most
others. The competition stands there and watches her practice like deer
in headlights, something is clicking this season and of course the
Suspension, and engine builder have helped a bit too Not to mention
all that time in the gym over the off season... Whooo hoo, I am looking
pretty good out there too from what I am told for a noob, can't wait
till the fall season so I can race a bit too

Two stroke baby! BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Racing for Raegen this weekend, come back soon 007!
!