Tim Tim is offline

Default Childhood TV Memories...

On Mar 4, 10:11*am, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:57:07 -0500, Harry
wrote:

On 3/4/10 10:48 AM, Tim wrote:
On Mar 4, 9:40 am, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:08:32 -0500,
wrote:

As rec.boats is no longer a newgroup devoted to discussions about boats,
boating and related subjects, I thought it might be fun to intro
a new topic that hopefully will not become "bait" for the usual
collection of thread destroyers here.

So...

When you were a little kid (say, five to 10 years old), what were your
favorite TV shows, or, at least, shows that were shown on TV? (That
would allow inclusion of that "B" movies that were serialized for the
small screen.)

For a little while, I liked Howdy Doody, but I never had the patience
for the slow movement of the show.

I loved Kukla, Fran and Ollie; the Lone Ranger; Hopalong Cassidy; Tom
Corbett, Space Cadet; Mr. Wizard, and a few others. When I was a bit
older, I watched the Mickey Mouse Club. I thought the show was inane,
but I had the pre-teen hots for Annette, the first girl I "saw"
regularly who had tits.

Also listened at night to my little radio to tune into The Lone Ranger.
Now *that* was a great radio show.

What were your favorites?

"Supercar."- Hide quoted text -

On Tuesday and Wendsday night. Batman, and always Soupy Sales, and
sometimes we could get "Cowboy Bob" in Indianapolis on Channel 4.

Soupy Sales was *the* big hero in Huntington, West Virginia. He lived
there for a while. Don't ask me how I know that.

Cowboy Bob is another show with which I have no familiarity.

Are you familiar with the radio personality, Ed Walker? He has a
syndicated public radio show called the Big Broadcast, on which he plays
radio comedy and drama shows from the 30's, 40's and 50's. It's fun to
visualize in your mind's eye what only your ears are picking up.

William Conrad was another ubiquitous radio personality. *I think his
most notable radio role was as Matt Dillon on "Gunsmoke."

Also the nararator for Rocky and Bullwinkle!

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If we are reaching back that far, I remember Crusader Rabbit. The
original, not the re-intro... Yikes!
jps jps is offline

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:17:50 -0600, Arbiter wrote:

In article d76599d7-4c99-4781-8a45-30cf560f0a35@
15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com, says...

On Mar 4, 11:26*am, Arbiter wrote:
In article , naled24511
@mypacks.net says...

On 3/4/10 12:00 PM, Tim wrote:
Also the nararator for Rocky and Bullwinkle!

If we are reaching back that far, I remember Crusader Rabbit. The
original, not the re-intro... Yikes!

Question raised evocatively by Tim and H. Krause, titled,
"Rocky and Bullwinkle, Crusader Rabbit - their value."
Arbiter includes Clutch Cargo in this group of "cartoon shows."
The finding is that most single Bugs Bunny Looneytune cartoons contained
more art and wit than than the sum of all episodes of the above, and
that the introduction of the above presaged a coarsening of American
culture.
The finding is binding.
Recess.

The Arbiter

But you left out "Space Ghost' Which was inovative because they
actually paired the cartoons characters with the movement of human
lips.

And don't forget Captain Kangaroo with "Fred who lived on channel1"

Fred was like amoving etch-a-sketch drawing on a television.

The Arbiters recollection is that Clutch Cargo pioneered the utterly
horrible "technique" of putting moving human lips behind crude drawings
with a hole cut in the mouth, the lips mouthing unsychronized peurile
dialogue. As I said, a coarsening of the culture.
Sold a lot of Sugar Corn Pops though.
This is not a binding finding.

The Arbiter

The only thing I find binding about your analysis has to do with your
writing style.

Do you have some binding agent that's preventing you from taking a
crap or do you always write in the manner of a 50's tin robot with a
tight lower sphincter?

Do you need to dislodge a stick, branch or root of some kind? Can
John Herring lend you a hand? Maybe Jim the arsehole from lower
Alabama?
jps jps is offline

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:31:36 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

Well, those who developed Rocky and Bullwinkle, were probably the only
people at the time to be contacted by the CIA to eliminate characters
from their program. Mr. Big, Boris Baddenoff and Natasha, not counting
other assorted spies ( BTW, did you ever notice that the jet that Mr.
Big flew in looked stragly a kin to a Mig fighter?) were seen as a
threat to peace negotiations with the Russians during the "cold war"
and though ficticious, the CIA thought those characters might be
making fun of the Rooskie's and wanted them removed from the show so
the Rd's wouldn't get hacked off.

That was probably a valid concern on behalf of the CIA. Look at
Putin's behavior a week ago when their star skater wasn't awarded the
gold.

Russians don't take loses or ribbing easily.

In article ,
says...

Well, those who developed Rocky and Bullwinkle, were probably the only
people at the time to be contacted by the CIA to eliminate characters
from their program. Mr. Big, Boris Baddenoff and Natasha, not counting
other assorted spies ( BTW, did you ever notice that the jet that Mr.
Big flew in looked stragly a kin to a Mig fighter?) were seen as a
threat to peace negotiations with the Russians during the "cold war"
and though ficticious, the CIA thought those characters might be
making fun of the Rooskie's and wanted them removed from the show so
the Rd's wouldn't get hacked off.

Then here comes some of the shows that had a mysterious hat clled the
"Kerwood Derby" which was a play on Gary Moore's side kick named
"Derwood Kirby" . Kirby didn't like it and had his lawyers contact
the creators of Rocky and gave them a cease letter threatening a
lawsuit over the mis-use of the name. They wrote back and said, "Go
ahead and sue us, we need the publicity!" which incidently would have
made Kirby look like an idiot for suing a well-liked cartoon for
defamation.

BTW, in the short-cuts between the feature cartoons, Rocky would walk
out on stage and Bullwinkle would be sitting there in some wizard hat
and gazing into a crystal ball. Then Bullwinkle would say; "Eenie
Meenie, Chilli Beanie. The spirits are about to speak!"

Did you ever figure out that line? Yes, it does have a meaning....

Well, fill us in then man...

Scotty

--
Can I haz Cheezeburger?

In article ,
says...

On 3/4/10 12:00 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

The Arbiter *- Hide quoted text -

I'll say I don't really remember that much about Clutch Cargo except
the show had some wierd, yet soft bongo drums playing in the
background, and he spoke barely above a wisper.

Hah, I remember the one where the invisible monster was eating everything it
touched and they flew over with paint balloons and bombed it so they could see
it.

Scotty

--
Can I haz Cheezeburger?

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:08:32 -0500, Harry
wrote:

[...]

We didn't have a TV when I was 10.

I did like an old show called "Life with Elizabeth" with Betty White
that was around about that time but I saw it at a neighbor's.
Of course there was Disney with Davy Crockett. I never watched any of
the kid zoo shows like Kookla, Capt Kangaroo or Buffalo Bob.

That explains a lot Greg

Scotty and I have only two words for this thread... Alyssa Milano, still
looking great after all these years too

Scotty

--
Can I haz Cheezeburger?

wrote:

[...]

Anyone remember "The Beany and Cecil Show"?
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 4, 12:51*pm, I am Tosk
wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Can I haz Cheezeburger?- Hide quoted text -

OK, the key to the phrase is "Chilli - Beanie"

Then comes "The Sprits are about to speak!"

In other words?

"Pull my finger"

?;^ )

RBP memories Wilko General 1 November 28th 09 07:22 PM
For some of us.....We've lost another childhood icon..... D-unit General 0 June 13th 07 10:43 PM
Ah...memories! Capt. Rob ASA 0 July 11th 06 03:13 PM
Ah, memories.... Capt. Rob ASA 17 January 30th 06 04:09 PM
Memories [email protected] General 1 March 13th 05 02:55 PM