Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Foggy sturgeon fishing on Calif Delta

With light winds and fair to middlin' tides predicted, I headed to
Delta Marina (in Rio Vista, Ca on the Sacramento River) again for some
sturgeon fishing.

Around 1130 Tuesday, I anchored under bright sun and perfect
conditions off Decker Island and tossed some eel steaks out over the
transom. It was like spring fishing! I was down to just Bermuda
shorts, soaking in the warmth. It has been a long winter (and it ain't
over yet!).

About 1400, just after the incoming tide was well under way, something
picked up my eel and strolled upriver - and I set the hook! A few
minutes later a 57" sturgeon lay along side the boat, exhausted and
belly up. After posing for a photo or two, I released him to continue
his trek upriver. And that was it for Day 1.

I hoped to head to Suisun Bay (about 25 miles downriver) for the
second day, but settled for waiting out the fog at Decker Island (near
Rio Vista). The fog didn't burn off 'til 1130, and I figured it was
too late to make the trip. I fished Decker for over nine hours on Day
2, and never got a sturgeon bite.

Day 3 was even foggier, so I decided to give it up and head for home.
The good folks at Delta Marina credited that third day to use on my
next visit. Try that at some state or fed park and they'll laugh at
you!

Photos and more at my home page http://fishwisher.spaces.live.com, AKA
FishWisher.com

Dale