Default ...five sturgeon in three days: Priceless! (California Delta fishing)

I headed to Brannan Island State Park (near Rio Vista, California on
the Sacramento River) this week to spend three days of sturgeon
fishing off Decker Island. I rented an RV space with electricity for
three nights, a berth at the docks for two nights plus boat launch. It
was a real pleasure not to have to launch the boat every day.

Daytime currents were mostly strong incoming this week, so that's
mostly what I fished. Too bad the outgoings were mostly after dark.
The only bait I used was some old eel that has been in wifey's freezer
for seven months! Even the leader and hooks - with old eel still
attached - were in the container with the old eel. I simply took out
the leader and attached it and tossed it into the river.

Within a half hour on the first day of fishing I had my first keeper
sturgeon on! I gave the skinny 62" 35# critter to a friend who was
only too happy to jump in his car and drive from Stockton to claim it.

On day two I caught and released another keeper at 48" - and released
him. Two sturgeon in two days!

On day three my friend Doug joined me. Still using nuthin' but the
nasty old lamprey, he reeled in a 47" keeper that he released. That
was his first sturgeon. Also on day three, just to keep Doug humble, I
reeled in a 49" keeper and a 69" that was too large to keep - both
were released. Then an 11½ Lb striper took the nasty lamprey for some
reason, and she went into the fish box. I ended my day with a little
18" or so sturgy baby who was released to grow up.

It was the most productive sturgeon trip I've ever experienced. Who
says the sturgeon are in decline? Those DFG biologists ought to go
fishing more often!

The weather was perfect, the water almost always flat with little or
no wind the whole time.

Brannan for three days: $97. Gas to and from Brannan $35. Five
sturgeon in three days: Priceless!

More info and lots of photos on my homepage www.fishwisher.com

Dale

On Nov 15, 9:23*am, FishWisher wrote:
[...]

Never had the chance to sturgeon fish when I was there, sure want to
try it!

On Nov 15, 11:53*am, wrote:
[...]

If you're ever out in the delta area, there are several good guides
who fish sturgeon. Now is a very good time of year for them. Check out
www.californiadelta.org for guide information.

Dale