Tim Tim is offline

Default Hey Bill. You still fish for sturgeon?

http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=10567

Looks like Calif sturgeon is doing pretty good in drought.
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 5, 5:12*pm, "Bill McKee" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=10567

Looks like Calif sturgeon is doing pretty good in drought.

Yup, took a friend out last week. *He hooked and landed 2 babies. *Each
about 20" long. *They have to be 44" to keep. *Was cold and foggy. *Water
was 49 degrees and the air was about 45. *Cold for here. *Ended up fishing
next to the Battleship Iowa. *As too foggy to run furthur up river. *Pretty
cool to fish next to a ship with 16" guns.

Is there a check station you must utilize to see if you have the
right length fish?

"Tim" wrote in message

http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=10567

Looks like Calif sturgeon is doing pretty good in drought.

Yup, took a friend out last week. He hooked and landed 2 babies. Each
about 20" long. They have to be 44" to keep. Was cold and foggy. Water
was 49 degrees and the air was about 45. Cold for here. Ended up fishing
next to the Battleship Iowa. As too foggy to run furthur up river. Pretty
cool to fish next to a ship with 16" guns.

Is there a check station you must utilize to see if you have the
right length fish?

Nope, just measure the fish, and decide if you are going to keep it.
Allowed 3 per year, 44-56" slot length.

Tim Tim is offline

"Tim" wrote in message

http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=10567

Looks like Calif sturgeon is doing pretty good in drought.

Yup, took a friend out last week. He hooked and landed 2 babies. Each
about 20" long. They have to be 44" to keep. Was cold and foggy. Water
was 49 degrees and the air was about 45. Cold for here. Ended up fishing
next to the Battleship Iowa. As too foggy to run furthur up river. Pretty
cool to fish next to a ship with 16" guns.

Is there a check station *you must utilize to see if you have the
right length fish?

Nope, just measure the fish, and decide if you are going to keep it.
Allowed 3 per year, 44-56" slot length.

That's what i mean. i can understand that if caught with one too
small, they can fine the heck out of you. But, how do the regulators
know how many you catch a year ?

Tim Tim is offline

"Tim" wrote in message

http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=10567

Looks like Calif sturgeon is doing pretty good in drought.

Yup, took a friend out last week. He hooked and landed 2 babies. Each
about 20" long. They have to be 44" to keep. Was cold and foggy. Water
was 49 degrees and the air was about 45. Cold for here. Ended up fishing
next to the Battleship Iowa. As too foggy to run furthur up river.
Pretty
cool to fish next to a ship with 16" guns.

Is there a check station you must utilize to see if you have the
right length fish?

Nope, just measure the fish, and decide if you are going to keep it.
Allowed 3 per year, 44-56" slot length.

That's what i mean. *i can understand that if caught with one too
small, they can fine the heck out of you. But, *how do the regulators
know how many you catch a year ?

You get a sturgeon report card. *When you decide to keep one, you take one
of the tags from the card and attach it to the sturgy. *Run out of tags, do
not get to keep anymore. *I like to fish more than I like to eat fish. *So I
rarely keep one.- Hide quoted text -

So, It's pretty well on the "honor system" I take it? But what
happens if you get caught with an undersized fish or too many on a
haul out?

Bill,

Don't know where you're getting your sturgeon slot, but it's 46" to
66". By the way, I can see the Iowa (and a lot of other mothballed
ships) from my honey-hole on Suisun Bay, and that's quite a sight!

Tim, in reality, everything to do with Kalifornistan's wildlife is on
the honor system. We have less than 175 sworn DFG agents in the entire
state, all of which are paid less than other law enforcement officers.
They leave for better paying jobs regularly. Figure 1/3 on duty at any
one time and that's maybe 60 to cover hundreds of miles of coast and
thousands of lakes, streams, rivers and ponds. Poachers have a field
day here, knowing that the odds are waaaay in their favor. Sturgeon
poaching is a real problem as the meat is very highly regarded and you
can imagine the demand for eggs from which caviar is made. It's a
hopeless situation as is most of the way this state is run.

Cal DFG regs he http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/ See Freshwater
handbook, begin bottom of page 21 for white sturgeon. (Greens cannot
be taken.)

Dale
www.FishWisher.com
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 6, 9:11*am, FishWisher wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah. I can see the problem.

Suisun Bay Sturgeon! FishWisher[_2_] General 5 October 10th 09 07:40 PM
Sturgeon as art... FishWisher General 4 February 20th 09 03:58 AM
Sturgeon as art? FishWisher General 0 February 16th 09 07:11 PM
Sturgeon! FishWisher General 4 November 24th 05 02:18 PM
Sturgeon! FishWisher General 25 February 15th 05 05:04 PM