Tim Tim is offline

Default Flat tire on the boat trailer...RATS!

I wen't to my warehouse to see if I could scrounge up some antique
starter parts and I noticed the Chris Craft was sitting at an angle. I
looked and yep, flat tire. Good looking tires on it too, but...

I haven't investigated why it went flat, but I'll probably get a new
tire anyhow.

But I just did some thinking that when I pull the tire it's a good
time to check wheel berings. I haven't done that in a couple years
because I only went out on the boat a couple times. But I figure that
being dunked twice, no... three times and sitting the rest, there
still could have been some water get in the seals and something might
be starting to rust.

Sounds like a good saturday project.
Jim Jim is offline

Tim wrote:
I wen't to my warehouse to see if I could scrounge up some antique
starter parts and I noticed the Chris Craft was sitting at an angle. I
looked and yep, flat tire. Good looking tires on it too, but...

I haven't investigated why it went flat, but I'll probably get a new
tire anyhow.

But I just did some thinking that when I pull the tire it's a good
time to check wheel berings. I haven't done that in a couple years
because I only went out on the boat a couple times. But I figure that
being dunked twice, no... three times and sitting the rest, there
still could have been some water get in the seals and something might
be starting to rust.

Sounds like a good saturday project.

Good idea. If the bead didn't break you may be able to pump up the
tire. Think you said you had good air.
Be careful jacking it if you leave it flat.
Lots can go wrong. But you know that.

Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 4, 1:34*pm, Jim wrote:
Tim wrote:
I wen't to my warehouse to see if I could scrounge up some antique
starter parts and I noticed the Chris Craft was sitting at an angle. I
looked and yep, flat tire. Good looking tires on it too, but...

I haven't investigated why it went flat, but I'll probably get a new
tire anyhow.

But I just did some thinking that when I pull the tire it's a good
time to check wheel berings. I haven't done that in a couple years
because I only went out on the boat a couple times. *But I figure that
being dunked twice, no... three times and sitting the rest, there
still could have been some water get in the seals and something might
be starting to rust.

Sounds like a good saturday project.

Good idea. *If the bead didn't break you may be able to pump up the
tire. *Think you said you had good air.
Be careful jacking it if you leave it flat.
Lots can go wrong. *But you know that.- Hide quoted text -

I've got a 6 ton floor jack that locks onto the frame really well and
I also use jack stands. it's been flat a while and it's probably still
on the bead, but I was thinking about the weight of the rim on the
bare rubber causing strain on the sidewalls and sitting for a while.

i parked the boat in late october, and the tire could probably be
repaired, but a new tire is about 60 bucks mounted and balanced, and
I'll probably go that route. It seems that a tire sitting flat for a
while will damage the inner belt, and I'd hate to have it fixed, then
be hauling to the lake only to have a belt seperate and or possible
blow out. And changing a tire on a road with just the car's spare
tire "scissor" jack on the road does'nt sound to me like a lot of fun,
nor a good idea, especially when you can only get the jack on the
round tube axle. plenty of chance to slip. But yes, I'll air the tire
first before I pull it.

Thanks!

On Feb 4, 12:05*pm, Tim wrote:
I wen't to my warehouse to see if I could scrounge up some antique
starter parts and I noticed the Chris Craft was sitting at an angle. I
looked and yep, flat tire. Good looking tires on it too, but...

I haven't investigated why it went flat, but I'll probably get a new
tire anyhow.

But I just did some thinking that when I pull the tire it's a good
time to check wheel berings. I haven't done that in a couple years
because I only went out on the boat a couple times. *But I figure that
being dunked twice, no... three times and sitting the rest, there
still could have been some water get in the seals and something might
be starting to rust.

Sounds like a good saturday project.

Lucky you only have 2 tires ( guessing)....there's four on mine.
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 4, 2:45*pm, "*e#c" wrote:
On Feb 4, 12:05*pm, Tim wrote:

I wen't to my warehouse to see if I could scrounge up some antique
starter parts and I noticed the Chris Craft was sitting at an angle. I
looked and yep, flat tire. Good looking tires on it too, but...

I haven't investigated why it went flat, but I'll probably get a new
tire anyhow.

But I just did some thinking that when I pull the tire it's a good
time to check wheel berings. I haven't done that in a couple years
because I only went out on the boat a couple times. *But I figure that
being dunked twice, no... three times and sitting the rest, there
still could have been some water get in the seals and something might
be starting to rust.

Sounds like a good saturday project.

Lucky you only have 2 tires ( guessing)....there's four on mine.

Just two on that one, I've got four on the 23 ft'r though, and though
6 ply, they are weather cracked. . I'll deffinately need to change
them and check the wheel bearings and surge brakes on that one before
it gets taken out to the lake.

On Feb 4, 3:45*pm, "*e#c" wrote:
On Feb 4, 12:05*pm, Tim wrote:

I wen't to my warehouse to see if I could scrounge up some antique
starter parts and I noticed the Chris Craft was sitting at an angle. I
looked and yep, flat tire. Good looking tires on it too, but...

I haven't investigated why it went flat, but I'll probably get a new
tire anyhow.

But I just did some thinking that when I pull the tire it's a good
time to check wheel berings. I haven't done that in a couple years
because I only went out on the boat a couple times. *But I figure that
being dunked twice, no... three times and sitting the rest, there
still could have been some water get in the seals and something might
be starting to rust.

Sounds like a good saturday project.

Lucky you only have 2 tires ( guessing)....there's four on mine.

Funny, when I bought this Boat four years ago, it STILL had the
ORIGINAL 1970's tires on it. They were cracked from rot, but I decided
that since the Boat only travelled between the house, and the Ramp,
I'd chance it awhile. Those tires STILL had three years left on them.
I finally blew 2 last season. the other two are scheduled for
replacement.
Cover them with a sack, or something to keep the sun off them. Also
park the trailer when storing , on small pcs. of plywood, to keep them
off the grass, or pavement. They'll last a lot longer.
Tim Tim is offline

On Feb 5, 6:10*pm, "*e#c" wrote:
On Feb 4, 3:45*pm, "*e#c" wrote:

On Feb 4, 12:05*pm, Tim wrote:

[...]

I *usually* jack the frame up and block it when I store the boat to
take weight off the tires and shackle springs (give a good chance to
oil them, too!) But this year for some reason I didn't.

Trailer Tire Air Doug Kanter General 0 December 29th 05 05:37 PM
Trailer Tire Air Eisboch General 4 December 29th 05 05:35 PM
Trailer Tire Air JimH General 7 December 29th 05 02:47 PM
Trailer Tire Air Don White General 9 December 28th 05 10:05 PM