Default More on the 'christian' kidnappers...

February 2, 2010
Detained Americans Questioned by Haitian Judge
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:15 p.m. ET

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) -- A Haitian judge on Tuesday was questioning
a group of U.S. Baptist missionaries arrested trying to leave Haiti with
a busload of children they gathered from the disaster zone.

The investigating magistrate queried the five women for several hours
and will follow up with the five men on Wednesday, according to the
Haiti's communications minister. No lawyers were present, and the
Americans have yet to be charged.

Minister Marie-Laurence Jocelyn Lassegue says the evidence will be
presented to a Haitian district attorney to decide whether to file charges.

The Baptists from Idaho say they were only trying to help orphans
survive the earthquake. *But legal experts say taking children across a
border without documents or government permission can be considered
child trafficking.*

At the SOS Children's Village orphanage where authorities are protecting
the 33 children, regional director Patricia Vargas said none who are old
enough and willing to talk had said they were orphans: ''Up until now we
have not encountered any who say they are an orphan.''

Vargas said most of the children are between 3 and 6 years old, and
unable to provide phone numbers or any other details about their origins.

*The Americans apparently enlisted a clergyman who went knocking on
doors asking people if they wanted to give away their children, the
director of Haiti's social welfare agency, Jeanne Bernard Pierre, told
The Associated Press.*

*''One child said to me, 'When they came knocking on our door asking for
children, my mom decided to give me away because we are six children and
by giving me away she would have only five kids to care for,''' Bernard
Pierre said.*

About 10 parents have come forward saying their children were taken, but
it wasn't clear if any are related the case involving the Americans,
Bernard Pierre said.

Prime Minister Max Bellerive has suggested the Americans could be
prosecuted in the United States because Haiti's shattered court system
may not be able to cope with a trial.

''It is clear now that they were trying to cross the border without
papers. It is clear now that some of the children have live parents. And
it is clear now that they knew what they were doing was wrong,''
Bellerive told the AP.

The White House has said the case remains in Haitian hands for now.

Central Valley Baptist Church Assistant Pastor Drew Ham in Idaho called
Tuesday for their immediate release, saying questioning them without
lawyers violates the Haitian Constitution.

The U.S. government could claim jurisdiction to try them in the United
States, but one expert on international abductions doubts it will
happen, since prosecutors are likely to take into account the mitigating
circumstances.

''They have obviously made a huge mistake by unilaterally going into
Haiti and taking children without the permission and knowledge of the
Haitian government. It's a crime in Haiti and anywhere in the world to
take or abduct children even if the underlying intentions were
humanitarian or good in nature,'' said Christopher Schmidt, an attorney
with Bryan Cave LLP in St. Louis.

''Whether or not a prosecutor would choose to prosecute these
individuals in this case is an open question. Frankly I have doubts
whether a prosecutor would want to go down that path,'' he said.

------

If you see baptists prowling in your neighborhood, bring the kids inside
and bolt lock the doors.

On 02/02/2010 5:46 PM, Harry wrote:

Vargas said most of the children are between 3 and 6 years old, and
unable to provide phone numbers or any other details about their origins.

What a freaking joke. Most of them don't have enough money for a phone.
Vargas have a screw loose or what?

*The Americans apparently enlisted a clergyman who went knocking on
doors asking people if they wanted to give away their children, the
director of Haiti's social welfare agency, Jeanne Bernard Pierre, told
The Associated Press.*

Asking should not be a crime.

*''One child said to me, 'When they came knocking on our door asking for
children, my mom decided to give me away because we are six children and
by giving me away she would have only five kids to care for,''' Bernard
Pierre said.*

Sad truth, that is all they know how to do is make babies. Mother
probably would like one of her children to have a good life.

About 10 parents have come forward saying their children were taken, but
it wasn't clear if any are related the case involving the Americans,
Bernard Pierre said.

Guess daddy found out and didn't get his extortion money.

Hell, if you judged how they raised children with US child welfare, they
would take them all for gross neglect.

Prime Minister Max Bellerive has suggested the Americans could be
prosecuted in the United States because Haiti's shattered court system
may not be able to cope with a trial.

Hm, couldn't enforce the law in their own country, big talk froma
cocaine puppet.

''It is clear now that they were trying to cross the border without
papers. It is clear now that some of the children have live parents. And
it is clear now that they knew what they were doing was wrong,''
Bellerive told the AP.

In a country where more than 50% are illiterate, paper is quickly used
for wiping the ass, they want paper all right. US greenbacks will do.

Central Valley Baptist Church Assistant Pastor Drew Ham in Idaho called
Tuesday for their immediate release, saying questioning them without
lawyers violates the Haitian Constitution.

Yes, and in 1805 the Haiti consitution said it was against the law for
whites to own any property. Police in Haiti don't worry about catching
the criminals, they worry about stay'in alive.

The U.S. government could claim jurisdiction to try them in the United
States, but one expert on international abductions doubts it will
happen, since prosecutors are likely to take into account the mitigating
circumstances.

I would agree, but who them are I differ.

Try their government for overlooking and partaking in drug trade.

Charge the parents with gross child neglect.

Charge the gang members with racketeering, extortion, rape, murder and
theft.

''They have obviously made a huge mistake by unilaterally going into
Haiti and taking children without the permission and knowledge of the
Haitian government. It's a crime in Haiti and anywhere in the world to
take or abduct children even if the underlying intentions were
humanitarian or good in nature,'' said Christopher Schmidt, an attorney
with Bryan Cave LLP in St. Louis.

''Whether or not a prosecutor would choose to prosecute these
individuals in this case is an open question. Frankly I have doubts
whether a prosecutor would want to go down that path,'' he said.

Be hard to find a jury that would rather see the child live illiterate,
drugs, gangs, sqalor, disease, starvation....

On 2/2/10 9:51 PM, Canuck57 wrote:
[...]

You're an outstanding example of the conservative disdain for the rule
of law.

You're a racist ****e.

--
Nom=de=Plume

On Feb 2, 10:15*pm, "nom=de=plume" wrote:
"Canuck57" wrote in message

[...]

"****e?"

You are a mindless twit with no origional thought, D'Plume. But it is
good, if not refreshing to see your attempt with Englyshe.

Thus embellishing a minor proof that concerning the grades of the most
base, you are attempting to reach a pinnacle of average.

But not quite.

[...]

Pointing out facts does not make one a racist. And plume-la-ditz is
going to have to work hard to pull herself up to average. Really hard.

"Canuck57" wrote in message

[...]

Fortunately, you don't need to try, as you have no hope of doing that.

--
Nom=de=Plume

Cheap Christian Bernard Watches Armeline Watches - Christian BernardWatches Armeline Watch Cheapest [email protected] General 0 April 28th 08 03:59 AM
Cheap Christian Dior Watches La D De Dior Watches - Christian DiorWatches La D De Dior Watch Cheapest [email protected] General 0 April 28th 08 03:23 AM
Christian Radich RtW Tall Ship Photos 10 January 30th 08 11:20 PM
Christian Loans Doug Kanter General 9 January 26th 06 02:58 PM
OT Christian Conservatives [email protected] General 15 October 21st 05 05:43 PM