Default Best Boat Accessories

I am looking for "accessories" for my husbands's (and mine too!) new boat.
It is a 24 foot Sundancer. It's really not new, but a few years old,
and came without electronic stuff. He bought the boat very cheap at an
auction.
We will be boating on Chesapeake Bay. Not far from shore, because
we are new to boating. We do want to do some fishing.
Should we start with a good radio or some kind of GPS?
The boat does have a depth sounder.
We are on a pretty tight budget, so I'm curious about whether or not
used electronics is a valid option.
Thank you for any advice.
Jim Jim is offline

Cindy wrote:
I am looking for "accessories" for my husbands's (and mine too!) new boat.
It is a 24 foot Sundancer. It's really not new, but a few years old,
and came without electronic stuff. He bought the boat very cheap at an
auction.
We will be boating on Chesapeake Bay. Not far from shore, because
we are new to boating. We do want to do some fishing.
Should we start with a good radio or some kind of GPS?
The boat does have a depth sounder.
We are on a pretty tight budget, so I'm curious about whether or not
used electronics is a valid option.
Thank you for any advice.

First. Welcome to rec.boats and Welcome to boating.
Get a copy of "Chapman's to start with. Then get some instruction. The
Coast Guard Aux. and U.S.Power Squadron are organizations that offer
courses free or at minimal cost. West Marine is probably the best known
outfitter. You should be able to find a store locally. They also have a
pretty good product and how to knowledge base to draw from.

On 26/01/2010 10:37 PM, Cindy wrote:
I am looking for "accessories" for my husbands's (and mine too!) new boat.
It is a 24 foot Sundancer. It's really not new, but a few years old,
and came without electronic stuff. He bought the boat very cheap at an
auction.
We will be boating on Chesapeake Bay. Not far from shore, because
we are new to boating. We do want to do some fishing.
Should we start with a good radio or some kind of GPS?
The boat does have a depth sounder.
We are on a pretty tight budget, so I'm curious about whether or not
used electronics is a valid option.
Thank you for any advice.

Willing good looking woman in a skimpy bikini.

You asked...
mmc mmc is offline

"Cindy" wrote in message
I am looking for "accessories" for my husbands's (and mine too!) new boat.
It is a 24 foot Sundancer. It's really not new, but a few years old,
and came without electronic stuff. He bought the boat very cheap at an
auction.
We will be boating on Chesapeake Bay. Not far from shore, because
we are new to boating. We do want to do some fishing.
Should we start with a good radio or some kind of GPS?
The boat does have a depth sounder.
We are on a pretty tight budget, so I'm curious about whether or not
used electronics is a valid option.
Thank you for any advice.

Cindy,
Need to make sure you have the minimum required safety equipment
http://www.boatus.com/onlinecourse/d...GULATIonS.html
This may differ where the enforcement is state alone rather than shared with
the USCG but it should be close to the same and state requirements should be
available on the DNR site for your state. I'd also maintain the recommended
equipment.
Failure to maintain the required equipment will result in a fine if/when
inspected and failure to follow the regs on marine sanitation or polluting
will result in BIG fines.
Not saying you fine folks would do either but just wanted to point it out
and provide the link.
I agree 100% that a safety course is a very important first move and if the
whole family is involved from the onset, your boating experience will be
greatly enhanced.
Have fun!

In article m,
says...

"Cindy" wrote in message
[...]

I have to agree. I would suggest that the safety course and safety gear
are the first things that should be taken care of. The OP suggested the
boat was a good deal, but I think we all agree here the course and gear
are not the places to skimp.

To the OP: You are about to embark on a sport with many inherent dangers
and surprises. Treat it as if you just bought your family a rifle. My
point is you should take this just as seriously.

Hummm wonder what the numbers are of folks "accidentally" (not murder)
injured by firearms, and folks injured in boating accidents.. Bet it's
close...

Scotty