Default Great morning...

Took a trip down to Norwich and the Thames River Basin this morning to
see what's up. Stripers were in the basin - huge school. I had taken
my new 7' medium action Ugly Stick/Penn 460L combo with me just in
case. Fortunately, I left my tagging supplies in the truck from my
last expedition down the Thames.

51 stipers total on a 1/2 ounce yellow bucktail loaded with a 6" Senko
watermelon worm hooked wacky style. Nice fish - most in the 18/21"
range with the occasional 15" schoolie mixed in. All tagged and
released. No sea lice and the fish looked very healthy - a little
thin through the body but great color and definition on the stripes.

The Thames River striper school is massive - I've heard some reports
on the over Winter fishery - 200 untagged schoolies a day is not
uncommon. Gives some credence to the theory that the Thames River
striper school is a seperate breeding group from the Hudson and
Chesapeake.

Had a lot of fun - can't wait to Spring. Better yet, can't wait for
Feb vacation and some Lake Murray fishing.

Speaking of which, here's my boy with a striper we caught over
Christmas vacation - caught 15 or so of these in the rip between two
islands off Jakes Point. Temp was about 40, but the wind was ripping
at 20+.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeaFran#p/a/u/0/yqZfGuyCCIM

On Jan 22, 10:48*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
[...]

Heh... when the wind starts blowing, that open part of the lake can
really get rough, huh?

I think you must have caught those off of Spence's Point, where all
the condos are. Jakes Landing has that point where their sign is, but
there's no islands around Jakes.

I take a look at the Ranger everytime I'm at the marina. It's still
there.

wrote:
[...]

Yeah it does. With all that shoal water through that area, there were
three/four footer rollers coming off the long stretch of water in the
middle - place was a wind tunnel. The water piles up fast in that
area. I would have shot the gap, but my two companions got a little
nervous, so I just trolled along in there.

I think you must have caught those off of Spence's Point, where all
the condos are. Jakes Landing has that point where their sign is, but
there's no islands around Jakes.

Yeah - that's it. I didn't have my lake chart handy when I wrote
that.

I take a look at the Ranger everytime I'm at the marina. It's still
there.

It had better be or there are going to be two young highway patrol
officers in a world of hurt. :)

They did manage to get down to Charleston and took the Grady for a
ride before the baby arrived. We'll have to get together over Feb
break and head down there - mess around a little in the harbor.

wrote:

Heh... when the wind starts blowing, that open part of the lake can
really get rough, huh?

Yeah it does. *With all that shoal water through that area, there were
three/four footer rollers coming off the long stretch of water in the
middle - place was a wind tunnel. *The water piles up fast in that
area. *I would have shot the gap, but my two companions got a little
nervous, so I just trolled along in there.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I had planned to go to dinner one
evening up at the Rusty Anchor at the Dockside Marina. It was a nice,
warm, but windy late spring evening. We got in the boat at Jakes and
headed out. About halfway there, I looked around and realized that we
were the only boat in sight. The lake was whitecapping with 3+
footers. In the Bennington tritoon we had then, the ride was pretty
smooth and dry as long as you kept it up on plane. Most any "normal"
lake boat would be pounding along. The new Premier tritoon handles
*much* better, but doesn't ride quite as good.

I take a look at the Ranger everytime I'm at the marina. *It's still
there.

It had better be or there are going to be two young highway patrol
officers in a world of hurt. *:)

They did manage to get down to Charleston and took the Grady for a
ride before the baby arrived. *We'll have to get together over Feb
break and head down there - mess around a little in the harbor.

Sounds good to me. I'm learning my way around the harbor, and have
been up both the Cooper and Ashley rivers and through the Wappoo Creek
and Elliot Cut over to the Stono River. Lots to explore down there,
just let me know.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 22, 9:48*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
[...]

"A reelin' and a rockin'...."

Sounds like you had a blast!

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:48:33 -0500, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

[...]

Love it!
--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking.

Fun morning Eisboch[_4_] General 93 June 27th 09 04:11 AM
The Great Society = The Great Failure Bob Crantz ASA 8 April 21st 07 12:28 AM
Great Canal and Great Lake trip site Roger Long Cruising 3 June 7th 05 03:21 PM
Beautiful weather, great morning on the water... Short Wave Sportfishing General 0 September 23rd 04 05:13 PM
New Morning Paul General 1 October 29th 03 10:05 PM