posted to alt.great-lakes,soc.culture.usa,soc.culture.canada,rec.boats

Default Prevent Asian Carp from entering Lake Michigan by closing the ChicagoSanitary/Shipping Canal Petition

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...-michigan.html
posted to alt.great-lakes,soc.culture.usa,soc.culture.canada,rec.boats

In article , lil abner
wrote:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ring-lake-mich
igan.html

Time to learn how to cook carp!
posted to alt.great-lakes,soc.culture.usa,soc.culture.canada,rec.boats
mgg mgg is offline

"Dave Moorman" wrote in message
In article , lil abner
wrote:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ring-lake-mich
igan.html

Time to learn how to cook carp!

Got a recipe? So far, every recipe seems to taste like sh*&t from what I'm
reading.

--Mike

posted to alt.great-lakes,soc.culture.usa,soc.culture.canada,rec.boats

Dave Moorman wrote:
In article , lil abner
wrote:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ring-lake-mich
igan.html

Time to learn how to cook carp!

NPR had a piece last week that featured a famous new orleans chef
presenting several recipes for carp.
posted to alt.great-lakes,soc.culture.usa,soc.culture.canada,rec.boats

wrote:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ntering-lake-m
ich
igan.html

Time to learn how to cook carp!

Got a recipe? So far, every recipe seems to taste like sh*&t from what I'm
reading.

--Mike

They had a feature about cooking carp on the WGN news. Apparently it
has a bit more flavor and is not quite as flaky as some fish. I'm not
much of a fish eater, but it seems like most of the flavor comes from
the sauce, anyway.

Could be good resource for the cat food industry, plus it would not
have to be shipped from China.

posted to alt.great-lakes,soc.culture.usa,soc.culture.canada,rec.boats

On 1/22/2010 4:41 PM, Dave Moorman wrote:
In ,
wrote:

"Dave wrote in message

In , lil
wrote:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ntering-lake-m
ich
igan.html

Time to learn how to cook carp!

Got a recipe? So far, every recipe seems to taste like sh*&t from what I'm
reading.

--Mike

They had a feature about cooking carp on the WGN news. Apparently it
has a bit more flavor and is not quite as flaky as some fish. I'm not
much of a fish eater, but it seems like most of the flavor comes from
the sauce, anyway.

Could be good resource for the cat food industry, plus it would not
have to be shipped from China.

Well, maybe. But what if it wipes out the sport and commercial fishery
in the Great Lakes?

Bolt Upright wrote:
On 1/22/2010 4:41 PM, Dave Moorman wrote:
In ,
wrote:

"Dave wrote in message

In , lil
wrote:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ntering-lake-m

ich
igan.html

Time to learn how to cook carp!

Got a recipe? So far, every recipe seems to taste like sh*&t from
what I'm
reading.

--Mike

They had a feature about cooking carp on the WGN news. Apparently it
has a bit more flavor and is not quite as flaky as some fish. I'm not
much of a fish eater, but it seems like most of the flavor comes from
the sauce, anyway.

Could be good resource for the cat food industry, plus it would not
have to be shipped from China.

Well, maybe. But what if it wipes out the sport and commercial fishery
in the Great Lakes?

I don't think they were eating the Asian Carp. you can't catch them on a
hook and line either.
This was a PR thing by and for the hand full of shippers and Illinois
Politicians. They don't give a damn if the US turns into another third
world country in all degrees as long as their pockets are filled.

On 1/22/2010 9:10 PM, lil abner wrote:
Bolt Upright wrote:
On 1/22/2010 4:41 PM, Dave Moorman wrote:
In ,
wrote:

"Dave wrote in message
In , lil
wrote:

[...]

That's what I thought too, and what I was afraid of. They are far more
concerned with keeping the canal open than they are about the ecological
risk.

Bolt Upright wrote:

Could be good resource for the cat food industry, plus it would not
have to be shipped from China.
Well, maybe. But what if it wipes out the sport and commercial
fishery in the Great Lakes?

I don't think they were eating the Asian Carp. you can't catch them on
a hook and line either.
This was a PR thing by and for the hand full of shippers and Illinois
Politicians. They don't give a damn if the US turns into another third
world country in all degrees as long as their pockets are filled.

That's what I thought too, and what I was afraid of. They are far more
concerned with keeping the canal open than they are about the ecological
risk.

The carp are going to get into the Great Lakes no matter what we do -
maybe one year from now, maybe 5. It's going to happen.

The canal is a major transportation asset, also, and I can understand
why people want to keep it open.

It would be smart to do some planning and adapting.

Last night on WGN they had an interview with a guy from Rockford who has
worked out a way to make fish meal, which has may uses, from the Asian
carp. His point is that if we harvest them *now* in great numbers from
the canal and make cat food out of them, that will slow down their
advance and make some money for the local economy. What's not to like?

Can they be caught by net?
posted to alt.great-lakes,soc.culture.canada,rec.boats

Dave Moorman wrote:

The canal is a major transportation asset, also, and I can
understand why people want to keep it open.

Why can't they create a lock setup for the canal?

A set of doors and locks that prevents water flowing from the canal into
Lake Michigan but still allows ships to pass through. A set of pumps
and filters or screens to prevent the fish from moving through the locks
when water is moved between them.