Default I thought it was reasonable

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:14:45 -0500, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article 13390fdf-5058-4bcc-867b-7b991638bb96@
34g2000yqp.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 15, 8:05*am, HK wrote:
Richard Casady wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:47:15 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Daughter: *So dad, what do you do about coffee on your sailign trips.
Me: *I make a big thermos.
Daughter: *What about when it gets cold.
Me: *It's still coffee.
Daughter: *Yuk, cold coffee, why not make some hot coffee.
Me: *I took out the stove cuz I think stoves aboard small sailboats
are dangerous, so we run out, then I have coffee beans.
Daughter: *What? *You crush them to make cold coffee?
Me: *No, I eat em, they taste good.
Daughter: *Thats disgusting, forget it.

My point? *Are you really going to put off sailing because you cannot
get a hot meal every time you want it? *Are you really going to put it
off because you might be a bit cold and you have to wear a parka?
I think sailing food consists of Pop Tarts for breakfast because you
can hold one while steering.
Lunch should be bread with peanut butter
Dinner, more bread and peanut butter.
Gatoraide
Coffee beans.
apples
What else do you need? *No complications with an icebox, no need for a
stove, very simple.

They now make a cooler with wheels and a handle that extends. They
make vacuum bottles that will provide coffee that is too hot to drink
after 24 hours. No need to suffer, even in the smallest boat.

Casady

Ahh, but *that* would require Froggy to spend a few dollars.

Do you happen to have a brand name or URL on those "keep it hot for 24
hours" vacuum bottles?- Hide quoted text -

Thermos, dip****.

Yeah, which one keep coffee "too hot to drink" after 24 hours? Our
"Thermos" brand only keeps it that hot for 3-5 or so if we are lucky..

Thanks in advance...

Scotty

I don't believe there is such a thing, unless it's got electric power.
A Mr. Coffee will keep it hot for 24 hours, if you leave it plugged
in. Acually, it's a lot better after about 12 hours, 24 might be a
little long.
--

America needs Obamacare like Nancy Pelosi needs a Halloween mask
or slammer's hemorrhoids..

John H

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

These work really well:

http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/c...l?SSAID=147018

wrote:

[...]

What difference does it make? You like instant coffee, which has no
resemblence to real coffe what so ever. Let's see, instant coffee,
cheap Mexican swill beer, boil in the bag turkey.....yep, you're quite
the gourmand, and so refined and cultured....

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:49:48 -0800 (PST), Loogypicker
wrote:

What difference does it make? You like instant coffee, which has no
resemblence to real coffe what so ever. Let's see, instant coffee,
cheap Mexican swill beer, boil in the bag turkey.....yep, you're quite
the gourmand, and so refined and cultured....

It is all a matter of taste. I have four cats and two dogs and I
couldn't interest a one of them in a live baby mouse. The snapping
turtle, boltcutter, doesn't hesitate.

Coffee? I grind the cheap beans from the supermarket, Eight bucks a
pound. Semi-gourmet. Turkey? My wife has a method that is an immense
ammount of work.

Casady

wrote:
[...]

Crank up the diesel and heat stuff up on the manifold (old trucker
trick)

Aren't there MREs that heat themselves? I may break down and buy a
magma grill/stove that hangs on the stern rail.

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:08:05 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Aren't there MREs that heat themselves? I may break down and buy a
magma grill/stove that hangs on the stern rail.

Difficult to use underway except in the calmest conditions. Take a
look at one of these:

http://www.forespar.com/onlineCatalog/2009/Sailboat/sailing_miniGalley2009.shtml

There are a number of mounting options, including a rail mount.

More info he

http://www.practical-sailor.com/marine/Compact-Galley-Stoves.html

wrote:

Aren't there MREs that heat themselves? I may break down and buy a
magma grill/stove that hangs on the stern rail.

Difficult to use underway except in the calmest conditions. Take a
look at one of these:

http://www.forespar.com/onlineCatalog/2009/Sailboat/sailing_miniGalley2009.shtml

There are a number of mounting options, including a rail mount.

More info he

http://www.practical-sailor.com/marine/Compact-Galley-Stoves.html

If froggy used any of those sorts of devices, he'd either set his boat,
his sails or himself on fire, and then the railing would break off,
taking the heating unit to the bottom.

All the cheap skates aren't on hockey players.

wrote:

Crank up the diesel and heat stuff up on the manifold (old trucker
trick)

Yes heat stuff on the outside of the water cooled manifold. If you
have raw water cooling, with a 140 F thermostat you will barely be
able to keep coffee hot. Truck engines work hard and have hot air
cooled manifolds. [At full power the headers on my race car glow
yellow hot]. You could cook with that. You would need plumbing and a
custom stove, but you could cook with 220 F glycol.

Casady

wrote:

I may break down and buy a
magma grill/stove that hangs on the stern rail.

You have a stern rail? Don't even hesitate.

Casady

wrote:

[...]

More and more reasons not to go out on a boat with Captain Frogwatch Bligh.