--== Dave ==--

Default New to Mercruiser / Lower unit maint HELP.

Okay, bought a mid 70's Starflite runabout with a Merc 140 I/O. Had it out
for the first time yesterday and all is okay except for the darned trim/tilt
wouldn't go down. Fixed it with 2 used pistons. Anywho, decided to drain
the outdrive grease to check for water and metal etc.. Anyways, what is the
proper procedure for replacing the grease/oil? What type do I use? How
many ounces? I ordered the manual for the engine/outdrive but I must wait 8
more days. Help! We want to hit the water tomorrow. Heh.

Thanks!

-Dave

Doug Meredith

"--== Dave ==--" wrote in message
Okay, bought a mid 70's Starflite runabout with a Merc 140 I/O. Had

it out
for the first time yesterday and all is okay except for the darned

trim/tilt
wouldn't go down. Fixed it with 2 used pistons. Anywho, decided to

drain
the outdrive grease to check for water and metal etc.. Anyways, what

is the
proper procedure for replacing the grease/oil? What type do I use?

How
many ounces? I ordered the manual for the engine/outdrive but I must

wait 8
more days. Help! We want to hit the water tomorrow. Heh.

Not familar with that drive, but if its like the other Merc outdrives,
there should be 2 plugs, 1 on the bullett, and one up near the top. Put
the drive all the way down, and remove both plugs. let the fluid drain.
Then fill it back up, from the BOTTOM hole, till it comes out the top
hole. Replace the top plug, then the bottom. You are good to go. Use
Merc high performance outdrive oil. BTY, Merc sells a special pump that
fits the quart bottle. It screws into the lower hole. You need this to
pump the oil in.

Doug Meredith

"Habbi" wrote in message
A friend has a 70's 888 drive which has the bottom drain screw but

does not
have the top one. What is the procedure to fill it?

This is coming from a VERY old Merc service manual, when Merc had about
10 different type and names for their drives. I "believe" it to be
correct, but I'm not 100% sure.

They say there are 2 sections of the drive, top and bottom. To do the
top, they say to remove th etop cap, and suck out the old. Then replace
the cap with new "O" ring. There "should" be a fill and vent plug on
the top housing. (fill on the left, vent on the right, facing the drive
from the rear). Pump lube into the fill hole till it comes out the
vent. Then replace plugs with NEW gaskets. For the lower unit, you
should have 2 holes. the fill hole is on th efront of the bullet, and
the vent hole is on the left side, by the anti cav plate. This one you
remove both plugs, and drain, then fill from the bottom till it comes
out the top, then put the top plug in, then the bottom, with NEW
gaskets.

I know you said that you didn't have a top plug, but the book does show
it, and it makes no mention of a drive without one. My guess is that
you are missing it, because its not up hig, but hidden by the anti cav
plate. The way I am reading this manual, there should be FOUR plugs, 2
on each side of the upper housing, one in the front of the bullet, and
one by the anti cav plate. The book I am reading covers 1964-1992, so
it "should" be correct.