Doug Meredith

Default New to Mercruiser / Lower unit maint HELP.

"--== Dave ==--" wrote in message
Okay, bought a mid 70's Starflite runabout with a Merc 140 I/O. Had

it out
for the first time yesterday and all is okay except for the darned

trim/tilt
wouldn't go down. Fixed it with 2 used pistons. Anywho, decided to

drain
the outdrive grease to check for water and metal etc.. Anyways, what

is the
proper procedure for replacing the grease/oil? What type do I use?

How
many ounces? I ordered the manual for the engine/outdrive but I must

wait 8
more days. Help! We want to hit the water tomorrow. Heh.

Not familar with that drive, but if its like the other Merc outdrives,
there should be 2 plugs, 1 on the bullett, and one up near the top. Put
the drive all the way down, and remove both plugs. let the fluid drain.
Then fill it back up, from the BOTTOM hole, till it comes out the top
hole. Replace the top plug, then the bottom. You are good to go. Use
Merc high performance outdrive oil. BTY, Merc sells a special pump that
fits the quart bottle. It screws into the lower hole. You need this to
pump the oil in.