Default 100K+ dead in Haiti?

nom=de=plume wrote:

You're probably right... I was thinking about the people on sailboats who
helped after the tsunami... probably took lots of risks.

Apples and oranges.

Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:

You're probably right... I was thinking about the people on sailboats who
helped after the tsunami... probably took lots of risks.

Apples and oranges.

Bruce

Not sure I see the difference, but in any case it would be a drop in the
bucket.

--
Nom=de=Plume

On Jan 13, 2:06*pm, "Don White" wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

"nom=de=plume" wrote in message
How horrible... perhaps those of you on the east coast/south can organize
some sort of flotilla and help these poor people?

--
Nom=de=Plume

That could be dangerous. *Better to support govt or Red Cross agencies who
have the knowhow & contacts to do what's needed.

*Here's an example...................http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9014787.html

Yes, Don. The humanitarian aid is flowing, and that is good. I wonder
how DART will be used, that is, if called upon?

nom=de=plume wrote:
How horrible... perhaps those of you on the east coast/south can organize
some sort of flotilla and help these poor people?

They need more help than a few yachts pulling into their harbor.

This would help, if there is one in the area...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_ship

Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message
nom=de=plume wrote:
How horrible... perhaps those of you on the east coast/south can organize
some sort of flotilla and help these poor people?

They need more help than a few yachts pulling into their harbor.

This would help, if there is one in the area...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_ship

Bruce

I believe one of the US ships is going to leave for Haiti shortly.

--
Nom=de=Plume

wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:55:39 -0800, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

I believe one of the US ships is going to leave for Haiti shortly.

We are sending a hospital ship and the carrier Carl Vincent with a
bunch of helicopters.
I think they also should send a cruise ship or two to evacuate all the
foreigners. The airport is still basically down although they are
still taking some flights.

I was thinking that they should send a cruise ship also, but not for
evacuation necessarily nor at first. I believe cruise ships volunteered
during Katrina... if I'm remembering that right.

Ground transportation is also a problem. Today they were saying the
airport was full of stuff coming off planes but they had no way to get
it into town.

They are sending a bunch of military people there to try to maintain
some similance of order. I hope that doesn't get ugly. That always
scares me. This could degrade to another Baghdad real fast

It's got a history of getting ugly there... perhaps a breeding ground for
terrorists, so all the help we can give them would surely pay off.

--
Nom=de=Plume

On Jan 13, 10:56*pm, "nom=de=plume" wrote:

I was thinking that they should send a cruise ship also, but not for
evacuation necessarily nor at first. I believe cruise ships volunteered
during Katrina... if I'm remembering that right.

--
Nom=de=Plume

Yes, D'Plume, They did 'volunteer' at the rate of $236 M. (USD)

On Jan 14, 2:10*am, wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:56:46 -0800, "nom=de=plume"

wrote:
.. .
wrote:

I believe one of the US ships is going to leave for Haiti shortly.

We are sending a hospital ship and the carrier Carl Vincent with a
bunch of helicopters.
I think they also should send a cruise ship or two to evacuate all the
foreigners. The airport is still basically down although they are
still taking some flights.

I was thinking that they should send a cruise ship also, but not for
evacuation necessarily nor at first. I believe cruise ships volunteered
during Katrina... if I'm remembering that right.

Actually these Haitians are more resourceful than the people in NOLA.

And they are getting aid quicker to Haiti than they did in NOLA

On Jan 14, 11:04*am, Loogypicker wrote:
On Jan 14, 2:10*am, wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:56:46 -0800, "nom=de=plume"

wrote:
.. .
wrote:

I believe one of the US ships is going to leave for Haiti shortly.

We are sending a hospital ship and the carrier Carl Vincent with a
bunch of helicopters.
I think they also should send a cruise ship or two to evacuate all the
foreigners. The airport is still basically down although they are
still taking some flights.

I was thinking that they should send a cruise ship also, but not for
evacuation necessarily nor at first. I believe cruise ships volunteered
during Katrina... if I'm remembering that right.

Actually these Haitians are more resourceful than the people in NOLA.

And they are getting aid quicker to Haiti than they did in NOLA

The leaders of Haiti are smarter than the leaders of NOLA were. Plus
there's no pesky federal law concerning state's rights to be obeyed by
the feds in this case.

wrote:

I believe one of the US ships is going to leave for Haiti shortly.

We are sending a hospital ship and the carrier Carl Vincent with a
bunch of helicopters.
I think they also should send a cruise ship or two to evacuate all the
foreigners. The airport is still basically down although they are
still taking some flights.

Ground transportation is also a problem. Today they were saying the
airport was full of stuff coming off planes but they had no way to get
it into town.

They are sending a bunch of military people there to try to maintain
some similance of order. I hope that doesn't get ugly. That always
scares me. This could degrade to another Baghdad real fast

The looting may be a problem, but Haiti is not a Muslim country, so it
shouldn't turn into another Baghdad.

I would like to have seen a bunch of C-17s with bucket loaders and
dump trucks aboard. It looks like that's what's needed right now,
along with water and food of course.

More Brian Williams and Anderson Coopers are not the solution, that's
for damn sure. I'm sure Geraldo Rivera and Amanpour are right behind.
Wonder when Olberman will show up.
--

America needs Obamacare like Nancy Pelosi needs a Halloween mask
or slammer's hemorrhoids..

John H