Default Sailing Haiti

I recently returned from a pretty exciting cruise to Haiti (and Cuba).
I plan to go back to Haiti next year, and hope to get in touch with
other sailors who have an interest in that fascinatng country. Some
pictures and stories from our cruise are online:

http://web.mac.com/geertvanderkolk/i...ba_photos.html

Looking forward to some feedback!

Geert van der Kolk

Many years ago, I was forced to make an unscheduled stop in a small town off the

Windward Passage in Haiti. Many of the people were friendly, but I did not feel

comfortable there. I don't know about now, but then there were stories of
people
stealing boats, trying to join your crew illegally, etc. Someone did approach
me with
a request to hitch a ride to the USA. Thank goodness I turned him down.

It's a rough world out there,

Sherwin D.

wrote:

I recently returned from a pretty exciting cruise to Haiti (and Cuba).
I plan to go back to Haiti next year, and hope to get in touch with
other sailors who have an interest in that fascinatng country. Some
pictures and stories from our cruise are online:

http://web.mac.com/geertvanderkolk/i...ba_photos.html

Looking forward to some feedback!

Geert van der Kolk

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:51:57 -0500, sherwindu
wrote:

Thank goodness I turned him down.

It's a rough world out there,

Yes, that's my impression also. We were in La Badie, Hati on a cruise
ship stop several years ago and it seemed pretty peaceful until I
realized the whole place was a bit of a potemkin village surrounded by
barbed wire and armed guards. The scenery off the coast is beautiful
however and it is fascinating to watch the native fishermen sail off
in their small hand built sloops with no power and makeshift sails.

http://web.mac.com/geertvanderkolk/i...and_cuba_photo...

Looking forward to some feedback!

Geert van der Kolk

We were in Port-au-Prince many years ago when the political situation
was un-nerving. We were enroute to the Dominican Republic but had to
stop in for repairs. It was not a country I would want to cruise.

Sailing to Cuba (and Haiti) [email protected] Cruising 1 June 6th 07 04:31 AM
Sailing to Cuba (and Haiti) [email protected] ASA 0 June 5th 07 11:53 PM
Sailing soon! Capt. JG ASA 0 March 19th 07 06:50 PM
Sailing soon! Wilbur Hubbard ASA 0 March 19th 07 05:23 PM
Sailing World and US Sailing Bart Senior ASA 8 March 24th 06 11:47 PM