Default Happy Snip Snip Day...

....to the many good christians he

The Feast of the Circumcision of Our Lord is a Christian celebration of
the Brit milah (ritual circumcision) of Jesus, eight days (according to
the Semitic and southern European calculation of intervals of days)[1]
after his birth, the occasion to on which the child was formally given
his name, Jesus,* a name derived from Hebrew meaning "salvation" or
"saviour".[2][3]

The circumcision of Jesus has traditionally been seen, as explained in
the popular 14th century work the Golden Legend, as the first time the
blood of Christ was shed, and thus the beginning of the process of the
redemption of man, and a demonstration that Christ was fully human, and
of his obedience to Biblical law.

The feast day appears on 1 January in the liturgical calendar of the
Eastern Orthodox Church[4] and of the Eastern Catholic Churches of
Byzantine Rite. It also appears in the pre-1960 General Roman
Calendar,[5] and is celebrated by some churches of the Anglican
Communion and virtually all Lutheran churches.

From wikipedia.

* He was never formally given the name "Jesus."

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 20:29:29 -0500, Harry
wrote:

[...]

From wikipedia.

* He was never formally given the name "Jesus."

And you point is...?

"Jesus lived in Galilee for most of his life and spoke Aramaic and
possibly Hebrew and some Greek.[117] The name "Jesus" comes from an
alternate spelling of the Latin (Iesus) which in turn comes from the
Greek name Iesous (??s???). In the Septuagint ??s??? is used as the
Greek version of the Hebrew name Yehoshua (??????, "God delivers" from
Yeho — Yahweh [is] shua` — deliverance/rescue) in the Biblical book of
the same name, usually Romanized as Joshua. Some scholars believe that
one of these was likely the name that Jesus was known by during his
lifetime by his peers.[118] Thus, the name has been translated into
English as "Joshua".[119]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

wrote:

[...]

From wikipedia.

* He was never formally given the name "Jesus."

And you point is...?

"Jesus lived in Galilee for most of his life and spoke Aramaic and
possibly Hebrew and some Greek.[117] The name "Jesus" comes from an
alternate spelling of the Latin (Iesus) which in turn comes from the
Greek name Iesous (??s???). In the Septuagint ??s??? is used as the
Greek version of the Hebrew name Yehoshua (??????, "God delivers" from
Yeho Yahweh [is] shua` deliverance/rescue) in the Biblical book of
the same name, usually Romanized as Joshua. Some scholars believe that
one of these was likely the name that Jesus was known by during his
lifetime by his peers.[118] Thus, the name has been translated into
English as "Joshua".[119]"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

The Feast of the Unholy Foreskin? I always thought it was a weird
thing to celebrate but OK.
jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

From wikipedia.

* He was never formally given the name "Jesus."

And you point is...?

"Jesus lived in Galilee for most of his life and spoke Aramaic and
possibly Hebrew and some Greek.[117] The name "Jesus" comes from an
alternate spelling of the Latin (Iesus) which in turn comes from the
Greek name Iesous (??s???). In the Septuagint ??s??? is used as the
Greek version of the Hebrew name Yehoshua (??????, "God delivers" from
Yeho Yahweh [is] shua` deliverance/rescue) in the Biblical book of
the same name, usually Romanized as Joshua. Some scholars believe that
one of these was likely the name that Jesus was known by during his
lifetime by his peers.[118] Thus, the name has been translated into
English as "Joshua".[119]"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus

The Feast of the Unholy Foreskin? I always thought it was a weird
thing to celebrate but OK.

Yes, I'm sure that's what J looked up on Google when he found that
entry in Wikipedia.

My 7th grade children aren't allowed to cite Wikipedia in their
studies but I guess it's plenty good enough for our resident Jesus
expert.

wrote:

[...]

From wikipedia.

[...]

I really doubt if you took the time to notice, but Krause was first to
use a passage of Wikipedia , and J. threw Wiki back at him.

But no, to you that doesn't count, does it?

wrote:

[...]

From wikipedia.

[...]

You're right, of course, Top. I followed the link from the name
"Jesus" in the Wikipedia article that HK found to be so illuminating.

John H wrote:
On Jan 1, 8:29 pm, Harry wrote:
[...]

From wikipedia.

* He was never formally given the name "Jesus."

You and jps seem to get your jollies attempting to ridicule the
religious beliefs of others. Why, I don't know. It surely can't be
conducive to good serenity, and I doubt it earns either of you much
respect, except from the other, of course.

Is it ridiculing a religion to point out that your saviour was born,
lived, and died a jew, never preached to pagans, and never thought that
a new religion named after him should be established by a bunch of guys
who never knew him several hundred years after his death?

To paraphrase Gandi, I think jesus was a cool dude. The religions
established in his name, not so much.

One of the reasons I have little respect for organized religions is
because of turds like you. By any measure, you are a poor excuse for a
human being. You're selfish, self-centered, a racist, hateful, and you
certainly do not follow the teachings of your church or your saviour.
And yet you claim to be religious and a Roman Catholic. Well, you may
follow some of the dogma of your church, but you have not internalized
christianity, and for you to claim to be a christian is an absurdity.
You ought to be excommunicated.

As for Obama's religious beliefs, he's entitled to have them and express
them. He acts in a decent, "christian" way. You don't.

Harry wrote:
John H wrote:
On Jan 1, 8:29 pm, Harry wrote:
[...]

From wikipedia.

[...]

I have to remind myself to be less judgmental.

"jps" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:51:50 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch

Something about calling a celebration of Circumcisem a Feast is a little
gross.

Bill McKee wrote:
"jps" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:51:50 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch

Something about calling a celebration of Circumcisem a Feast is a little
gross.

In the jewish religion it is absolutely a celebration and calls for a
little wine and snacks for guests at the ceremony. It is a commandment,
as it were, and it marks, literally, what jews believe is a covenant
between themselves and the creator.

Happy 06/06/06 Day!!! Dan J.S. General 34 June 9th 06 12:23 AM
Happy 06/06/06 Day!!! [email protected] General 0 June 7th 06 02:42 AM
Happy 06/06/06 Day!!! basskisser General 0 June 6th 06 12:35 PM
Happy Whatever JimH General 2 December 20th 05 09:54 PM
Happy Hug Day Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 October 1st 03 02:29 PM