Default Obama signs legislation that limits GOP/Conservative fun

Obama signs hate-crimes law rooted in crimes of 1998

The year 1998 was dominated by the saga of Bill Clinton and Monica
Lewinsky, but it also saw two horrific killings that led to a new
federal law signed by President Obama.

On June 7, in Texas, three white men chained an African American named
James Byrd to a pickup truck and dragged him to his death; in the early
hours of Oct. 7, two men in Wyoming beat up gay teenager Matthew Shepard
and left him to die while tied to a fence.

These killings intensified pressure for tougher federal hate-crimes
legislation. Today, Obama signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr.
Hate Crimes Prevention Act.

"After more than a decade of opposition and delay, we've passed
inclusive hate crimes legislation to help protect our citizens from
violence based on what they look like, who they love, how they pray or
who they are," Obama said in signing the defense budget bill that
includes the new hate-crimes law.

The new law basically expands existing hate-crime protections to outlaw
attacks based on sexual orientation or gender, in addition to race,
color, religion or national origin.

In a later ceremony devoted to the new law, Obama told supporters, "No
one in America should ever be afraid to walk down the street holding the
hand of the person they love." He cited statistics that in these past 10
years, there have been more than 12,000 hate crimes based on sexual
orientation.

"We will never know how many incidents were never reported at all,"
Obama said.

Opponents called the hate-crimes bill unnecessary, noting that Shepard's
and Byrd's attackers were convicted in state criminal courts. Some
critics objected to the inclusion of hate-crimes legislation in a
defense budget bill.

"The president has used his position as commander in chief to advance a
radical social agenda, when he should have used it to advance
legislation that would unequivocally support our troops," said U.S. Rep.
Mike Pence, R-Ind., chairman of the House Republican Conference.

Pence also argued that the law could be used to curb free speech rights,
such as with religions that consider homosexuality a sin.

Gay rights groups hailed the law.

"President Obama and Congress have sent a message that violence against
lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people is wrong and that our
community should not be excluded from the protections of our nation's
laws," said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance
Against Defamation.

In signing the bill, Obama paid tribute to one of its sponsors, the late
Sen. Edward Kennedy. He also singled out another longtime advocate: Judy
Shepard, Matthew's mother, who personally lobbied the president earlier
this year.

"I promised Judy Shepard, when she saw me in the Oval Office, that this
day would come, and I'm glad that she and her husband, Dennis, could
join us for this event," Obama said.

In a statement, Mrs. Shepard -- who was at the White House again -- said
she never dreamed it would take 10 years for the new law to become a
reality.

"We are incredibly grateful to Congress and the president for taking
this step forward on behalf of hate crime victims and their families,
especially given the continuing attacks on people simply for living
their lives openly and honestly," Shepard said.

H the K wrote:
[...]

The writer is obviously trying to fool everybody. He knows that this
Legislation sets a nasty portent of things to come. It is toehold
legislation to silence dissent to the prostelizing of the perverted
lifestyle, to our young and to force their way into decent society.
How long before we forced to endure San Francisco style sickening show
of perversion down our main streets?

On Oct 28, 8:22*pm, elder wrote:

The writer is obviously trying to fool everybody. He knows that this
Legislation sets a nasty portent of things to come. It is toehold
legislation to silence dissent to the prostelizing of the perverted
lifestyle, to our young and to force their way into decent society.
How long before we forced to endure San Francisco style sickening show
of perversion down our main streets?- Hide quoted text -

i agree; christianity is a perverted lifestyle. the legislation is
modeled on current federal law which makes hate crimes based on
religion illegal...

couldn't have said it better. hopefully those goddamn christians will
keep to themselves...

On 10/28/09 8:22 PM, elder wrote:
H the K wrote:
[...]

Actually, it is the right wing that promotes a perverted lifestyle.

jps jps is offline

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:22:52 -0400, elder wrote:

H the K wrote:
[...]

Long after you're dead?

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:44:41 -0400, H the K
wrote:

On June 7, in Texas, three white men chained an African American named
James Byrd to a pickup truck and dragged him to his death;

Actually there were two, and one got the death penalty. I don't think
they have killed him yet.

Casady

"wf3h" wrote in message
On Oct 28, 8:22 pm, elder wrote:

The writer is obviously trying to fool everybody. He knows that this
Legislation sets a nasty portent of things to come. It is toehold
legislation to silence dissent to the prostelizing of the perverted
lifestyle, to our young and to force their way into decent society.
How long before we forced to endure San Francisco style sickening show
of perversion down our main streets?- Hide quoted text -

i agree; christianity is a perverted lifestyle. the legislation is
modeled on current federal law which makes hate crimes based on
religion illegal...

Sorry, but most Christians are about forgiveness and empathy.

couldn't have said it better. hopefully those goddamn christians will
keep to themselves...

Those christians (little "c") should.

--
Nom=de=Plume