Default 5 sturgeon hooked in three days on Sacramento River!

This week's three day sturgeon safari was unusually productive! I had
five hooked over the three days, and three of them to the boat. I
released two at opposite ends of the slot - one about 46" and maybe 25
pounds, another around 66" and 65+ pounds, I'd guess. I couldn't get a
good measure of him in the water, so released him to pursue his
pleasure upriver at the spawn. I kept one at 49" and 30 pounds.

Every one of them took the same old lamprey eel I've been carving on
for six months - actually longer than that, I think. I've frozen and
thawed it several times, and it still works great! Figuring the time
one eel lasts, at $40 per, they're still the cheapest sturgeon bait
around!

Wow! I'm still buzzed. It was an exciting three days of brawling with
the mighty sturgeon.

Photos and complete story at my homepage www.FishWisher.com

Dale

(So... Ok, who's gonna turn this into another off-topic political
thread... ??)

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:17:57 -0700 (PDT), FishWisher
wrote:

[...]

Woo Hoo! You always have a good fishing story, Dale.
Even when you get skunked. But I don't recall that happening.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

Great story and pictures!

Thanks, Dale.

"FishWisher" wrote in message
[...]

Wow... not that far from me... how do you cook them?

--
Nom=de=Plume

jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

Oh man. Among my favorite fish dishes is pan fried Sturgeon piccata.

Melt in the mouth. My mouth is watering.

Thanks for the kind comments, all. I'll not forget this trip!

As for cooking... I'm don't cook 'em but the most raves are about
smoking them. I guess that's one of the preferred methods.

Dale
www.FishWisher.com

On Oct 23, 7:17*pm, FishWisher wrote:
[...]

Sounds great, but in Ontario, you CANNOT keep them. They MUST be
released, or you'll lose your boat, car, house, etc, etc. Game Wardens
up here have MORE power than the Police. They CAN enter your house
withOUT a warrant, if they have reasonable doubt you are a Poacher.
An 11 foot Sturgeon was caught off Goderich, Ontario a couple years
back. Just think HOW old that fish is !!! It was released, and did
swim away.

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 09:01:24 -0700 (PDT), FishWisher
wrote:

Thanks for the kind comments, all. I'll not forget this trip!

As for cooking... I'm don't cook 'em but the most raves are about
smoking them. I guess that's one of the preferred methods.

Dale
www.FishWisher.com

Let's try this. You get a couple big filets (say both sides of one)
flash frozen, packed in dry ice, and one-day UPS'd to me.

I'll smoke 'em and let you know how they taste.

Good idea, huh?