Default Dogs going nuts

A couple minutes ago, the two dogs were going nuts outside barking. I
went outside and hauled them in but they REALLY wanted out so I went
outside to see what it was they were so excited about. It was a baby
possum eating cat food. Those critters are dang ugly but as cute as
can be. It just wanted me to think it was one of the cats.
Sunday on the way back from sailing, south of Tallahasee, we saw a
mama bear and two babies cross the road in front of us so we slowed to
a stop and watched em disappear in thewoods. Mama was clearly annoyed
at the little ones dawdling in the road.

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 20:15:53 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

A couple minutes ago, the two dogs were going nuts outside barking. I
went outside and hauled them in but they REALLY wanted out so I went
outside to see what it was they were so excited about. It was a baby
possum eating cat food. Those critters are dang ugly but as cute as
can be. It just wanted me to think it was one of the cats.
Sunday on the way back from sailing, south of Tallahasee, we saw a
mama bear and two babies cross the road in front of us so we slowed to
a stop and watched em disappear in thewoods. Mama was clearly annoyed
at the little ones dawdling in the road.

Racoons are cute. Opossums are just huge, ugly-assed rats. Even their
tales are ratty. They're horrid creatures. They're not edible, and
their hide is worthless as tits on a boar hog.

Shoot 'em.
--
John H

All decisions, even those made by liberals, are the result of binary thinking.

wrote:

A couple minutes ago, the two dogs were going nuts outside barking. I
went outside and hauled them in but they REALLY wanted out so I went
outside to see what it was they were so excited about. It was a baby
possum eating cat food. Those critters are dang ugly but as cute as
can be. It just wanted me to think it was one of the cats.
Sunday on the way back from sailing, south of Tallahasee, we saw a
mama bear and two babies cross the road in front of us so we slowed to
a stop and watched em disappear in thewoods. Mama was clearly annoyed
at the little ones dawdling in the road.

Racoons are cute. Opossums are just huge, ugly-assed rats. Even their
tales are ratty. They're horrid creatures. They're not edible, and
their hide is worthless as tits on a boar hog.

Never had possum pie?
Never had it myself, but seems I've heard of that.
My granddad used to shoot and eat squirrels. That's just a rat, and
so is a rabbit.
Went hunting with a buddy in WV and I shot a squirrel we cooked over a
fire. Tough as leather. Can't remember the taste. Wasn't much.
My wife's ma raises and eats rabbits in Poland.
Don't seem right.
Saw a possum get clipped by a car on Mannheim Road, then it ran a few
feet and played possum.
Bad place for it. A semi squashed it flat 2 seconds after it went
into its act.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

We have raccoons and opossums running along the edge of the woods here.
They don't bother us, we don't bother them. I still leave some food out
for them in the dead of winter.

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:25:22 -0400, H the K
wrote:

We have raccoons and opossums running along the edge of the woods here.
They don't bother us, we don't bother them. I still leave some food out
for them in the dead of winter.

Think I've heard that about 5 times now.
Get ready for the PETA fans to call you an eco-terrorist.
Isn't that what usually comes next?
My grandma or aunt used to tell stories about raccoon hands, and how
they examine their food before eating.
Real gentlerats, I guess.

--Vic

wrote:

We have raccoons and opossums running along the edge of the woods here.
They don't bother us, we don't bother them. I still leave some food out
for them in the dead of winter.

Think I've heard that about 5 times now.
Get ready for the PETA fans to call you an eco-terrorist.
Isn't that what usually comes next?
My grandma or aunt used to tell stories about raccoon hands, and how
they examine their food before eating.
Real gentlerats, I guess.

--Vic

Raccoons are very attractive critters if they're not causing trouble.
They are quite handsome, with thick, luxurious fur. I wouldn't handfeed
our wild ones, but I have been "close" to pet raccoons, and find them
more likeable, intelligent, and nicer than, say, your average
conservative Republican.

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:39:21 -0400, H the K
wrote:

Raccoons are very attractive critters if they're not causing trouble.
They are quite handsome, with thick, luxurious fur. I wouldn't handfeed
our wild ones, but I have been "close" to pet raccoons, and find them
more likeable, intelligent, and nicer than, say, your average
conservative Republican.

About 15-20 years ago I read of a "pet" raccoon in Mass biting all
the fingers and toes from a 2 or 3 month old baby.
Babysitter was asleep.
I draw the "pet" line with dogs in it, cats astride it, and everything
else just a wild, savage animal suitable for the outback only.
Not saying hamsters or guppies scare me, just saying....

--Vic

wrote:

Raccoons are very attractive critters if they're not causing trouble.
They are quite handsome, with thick, luxurious fur. I wouldn't handfeed
our wild ones, but I have been "close" to pet raccoons, and find them
more likeable, intelligent, and nicer than, say, your average
conservative Republican.

About 15-20 years ago I read of a "pet" raccoon in Mass biting all
the fingers and toes from a 2 or 3 month old baby.
Babysitter was asleep.
I draw the "pet" line with dogs in it, cats astride it, and everything
else just a wild, savage animal suitable for the outback only.
Not saying hamsters or guppies scare me, just saying....

--Vic

So? I've heard or read about many so called domesticated dogs doing the
same thing.

Large bears scare me, though.

wrote:

[...]

As a kid we ate a lot of squirrels and rabbits. Squirrels, unless
young, are tough, especially older boars. Rabbits are very tender, and
much better to eat. When you've not a lot of money, fried squirrel and
rabbit tastes pretty damn good. Squirrel is best breaded, fried, and
then put in the oven with a little water in the pot for an hour or
two. That tenderizes it pretty well. Use lots of garlic. I think
those, navy beans, and catfish w/hushpuppies are what kept us all
alive.
--
John H

All decisions, even those made by liberals, are the result of binary thinking.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Squirrels are pretty good if you clean 'em and cook them in "shake and
bake for chicken"... Takes a few to make a meal, but they are pretty
tastey if you like dark meat.

--
Wafa free since 2009

Was I nuts? Roger Long Cruising 5 May 28th 05 05:01 AM
Nuts! Just after ... JAXAshby ASA 0 August 9th 04 04:08 AM
I must be nuts!! scottht General 16 October 2nd 03 07:18 AM