posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Any good fla****er paddling in West Virginia?

My wife and I are basically fla****er paddlers, aside from not having
decent whitewater skills, we like places where we can paddle around
and return to where we started, avoiding the hassle of car shuttles,
etc. We're thinkig of heading out to West Virginia and wonder if
there are any good places to paddle. We're looking at anything north
of I-64 and withing 5-6 hour drive of Baltimore or Washington. There
are a number of lakes, but from the web research they all have
motorboat traffic. Some of them might not have that much traffic that
it matters (we paddle on lakes in Maine that have motorboats that are
easily avoided), but I wonder if anyone has any information about nice
places where you don't have to do a car shuttle and you won't be run
over by motorboats and jet skis..
posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Aug 16, 1:15*pm, Joe wrote:
My wife and I are basically fla****er paddlers, aside from not having
decent whitewater skills, we like places where we can paddle around
and return to where we started, avoiding the hassle of car shuttles,
etc. *We're thinkig of heading out to West Virginia and wonder if
there are any good places to paddle. *We're looking at anything north
of I-64 and withing 5-6 hour drive of Baltimore or Washington. *There
are a number of lakes, but from the web research they all have
motorboat traffic. *Some of them might not have that much traffic that
it matters (we paddle on lakes in Maine that have motorboats that are
easily avoided), but I wonder if anyone has any information about nice
places where you don't have to do a car shuttle and you won't be run
over by motorboats and jet skis..

What part of WV? There's the Greenbriar running south along the
eastern edge of the state, and much of the Potomac between WV and MD
in the north, as well as sections of the South Branch of the Potomac,
the Cheat, and the Monongahela. Also sections of the Gauley, the Elk,
and others in the middle, but I'd suggest you Google up the West
Virginia Whitewater Association (a paddling club based in Charleston)
and ask on their message board.