Default Good Chesapeake Bay news...

Little John wrote:
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:02:31 -0400, NotNow wrote:

Little John wrote:
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:05:48 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:32:59 -0400, Little John
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:39:57 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock
wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/04/sc...yster.html?hpw
That *is* some good news. One little light in a sea of gloom. Now if
they'd stop the menhaden fishing, the sewage dumping up north, and
kill the mute swans, they'd be on the right path.
How is the "oil" and fecal coliform problem going?
I know when I was there people said there was a layer of sludge on the
bottom of the bay from all the people who flush oil down the toilet
and from the street runoff of several major cities that use the bay
for a sewer.
Coilforms are basically just the chicken farms but some also comes
from bad sewer plants and septic tanks. The show PBS ran on the
problems in the bay showed the chicken farmers are still dumping raw
chicken **** in the creeks that feed the bay. It is hard to argue with
aerial photos of it happening.

I still would not eat an oyster from that bay, and certainly not
without cooking it.
This is how bad things were six years ago. They've gotten worse.

http://www.cbf.org/Document.Doc?id=321
--

John H

That's odd. If people listened to Harry, they'd think the bay was the
best place in the world to boat, fish, and live.....

It's still got some nice boating and fishing, but the fishing isn't as
good as it was some years back. The crab, oyster, and fish population
is greatly reduced, but the size of the 'dead zone' hasn't.

I don't recall Harry saying much about how nice the Chesapeake Bay is.
Usually he's just putting down someone else's location, like Lake
Lanier or Puget Sound, neither of which he's boated in.
--

John H

Yeah, there must be some decent areas to fish in there. I've got friends
who grew up on or around the bay. They show me pictures of bushel
baskets full of huge blue crab, etc. and say it certainly isn't like
that now.

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 20:14:18 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That is the DO number. It appears the be worst in the deep parts of
the bay. I bet you have a big number of suspended organics and maybe
some stratification going on. It would be good to know if this is the
morning or evening reading and if this is the surface or deep water
reading. Nutrients and algae are at the roots of our DO problems so I
do a sun up sample. That is when DO is the lowest.

Yes, the dead zone is worst in the middle (deepest part) of the bay.
The water becomes a dark reddish brown and is very visibly different
than the edges where the water is more shallow.
--

John H