Default Wishin for Wyoming

Frogwatch wrote:
On Jul 17, 2:39 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:17:05 -0400, NotNow wrote:

Ha! Reminds me of our annual fishing trip to where ever we decide.
Everyone has a nickname, no exceptions. One of the guys from Ohio, who
is actually a Puerto Rican was mistaken somewhere for a native American.
He was instantly nicknamed Two Dog ****ing!!!
Oh, and everyone can guess what B.J.'s nickname was!

Two Dogs ****ing (or Two ****ing Dogs) is my favorite told joke.
You know it?

--Vic

Yes, I do know it.
Found out just last week one of my neighbors is half Creek, or at
least the N. FL version thereof. I thought they were italian
ancestory. Now I can see it though, especially in his wife.

My wife is some percentage of Cherokee. All her ancestors on her
mother's side are from the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, and her
grandmother lived very close to Cherokee lands in western North
Carolina. But she's very pale-complexioned, problem from the
Irish-Nordic-German ancestors on her dad's side.

I'm just a plain old mutt, of American-Russian-German-Polish stock.
Nothing as exotic as native American.

H the K wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Problem? Er, probably.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
With my wife recovering, we probably will not get to WY this year
although I might convince her to go before she starts radiation a
month from now.
When we started living there in 1981, we did not like it but needed
jobs after living our honeymoon in a tent for 60 days and my wife
getting hurt in a rock climbing accident. After being there for 6
months we loved it.

You do not get any idea of the place by driving thru it because the
roads all go thru flat areas and all you see is immense open plains.
However, it has mountain ranges that are huge by eastern standards
that do not even show up on most maps of the USA. Even the Bighorns,
a major range is almost unknown to easterners. Try to find the
Seminoe Range with 10,000' peaks or the Rattlesnake Range with 9500'
peaks or the Shirley Range or the Laramie range with 10,500' peaks.

Whenever I am there, the immensity strikes me so hard I have to get
out of the truck and look off into the distance at mountain ranges so
far away that I feel concious of the curvature of the earth. Because
you can get up high easily and see so far, the immensity is so much
more striking than when I am on the ocean. Every morning, I stand on
the porch of the cabin and look toward Muddy Mt with the Laramie Range
in the distance to the south knowing that the nearest human
civilization to the south is 100 miles away at Medicine Bow and my
mouth gapes in awe. The green I see on Muddy MT 10 miles away is not
some grass or Lichen, it is 100' Tall Lodgepole pines, real forests so
far away as to resemble mere moss on rocks from this distance.

HK would not like WY culture as natives are serious about self
reliance and independence and although I can understand his view, I
also admire the self reliance of the natives. The largest city in WY,
Casper with roughly 75,000 people has few cultural amenities although
it does have a Starbucks with no wifi.

WY is a serious blue collar place where most people work for oil, gas,
coal or ranching and consequently, they mostly drive trucks from
necessity. This is not the pseudo-blue collar redneck wannabe culture
of southern urban areas but the real thing. These guys USE their
trucks

Winters are long and the wind is fierce. When you think of WY, you
ought to think it is an abbreviation for WindY with sustained winds so
strong they would be classified as storms here in FL but they come
from a clear deep blue sky. Gusts are so strong that "high profile
vehicles" are often blown off roads. My wife was once lifted off her
feet and carried about 10' by one.
It snows there but the snow does not stay long on the plains, it
simply blows away. Snow does stay in the mountains with depths of dry
powder normally reaching 6-8' at the location of my cabin. Snow in
early June is not very uncommon.
It gets cold and I have worked in temps as low as 35 below but it
does not seem nearly as cold as a Chicago winter because it is so
dry. Even at zero degrees, you want to go outside and go skiing
because ti does not seem so bad.
I would not want to live there full time again for more than a year
because I am so attached to FL but I sure do like to visit.

WY. Nice place to visit when the weather is bearable. My mother grew up
near Henry, Nebraska. She tells about -46 degrees F one winter. I still
thank her for moving to Calif before I was born. The family farm was 1.5
miles from the WY border. I lived in the snow twice. Dayton, OH and a
winter in Denver. Snow sucks to live in it. I want snow, I drive to the
mountains and enjoy if for a weekend or week and then come home. Enjoyed
the snow Wednesday at Saddlebag Lake near the Yosemite East entrance.
10,000' elevation. Nice patches near the lake. 70 degree day, and in
shorts and scandals.