Bchbound

Default New Boat Owner

In article ,
says...
Yesterday was one of the best days of my boating life. We consummated
the deal for "Just Crusin'", to be renamed by next season.

She's a 1977 Sea Ray 240 SRV, which is an enclosed cockpit with a cuddy-
type berth. In the catalog they call it a "sedan" boat (catalogs are
available from Sea Ray back for quite some time). She has a new bilge
pump, steering cables, the baffles are very recent and only 321 hours on
her. Her 255 Mercruiser passed a compression test.

Things we found:
1. Sharp changes in RPM cause her to veer sharply.
2. I didn't notice a distinct "plane" point, as I have on smaller ski
boats. I don't know if that's a semi-displacement hull talking, or the
size of her or just the way she is. The transition between displacement
and plane isn't clear -- that it, the transition is so smooth as to be
indistinct.
3. "Cruise" speed: there wasn't any obvious way to figure out where to
maximize mileage (knotage?). She got up to 3800 RPM and 27kts
(according to fish finder) at WOT, and I've read that cruising speed is
about 65% of RPMs, but she seems to need 3000 RPM to plane, and then
we're only going 17-18 knots.
4. When replacing the steering cable it looks like the trim tab sensors
were disconnected. While they have been reconnect to power, I have to
see if they can be reconnected to the trim tabs. The water pump isn't
working, and I don't know where
5. I still need to inventory the boat and see what kind of things I
need. The old owners also owned a Marine supply store and were kind
enough to give me new flares, boat hook and fire extinguisher. We need
to get some extra life jackets (we bought enough for three of us, but we
expect we'll have more people on board eventually.
6. We're docking it at a local marina, and we are clearly the crappiest
boat there. The docks are so high that getting down to our boat is a
real challenge. Not just for us, but for our Lab, too. We're looking
at ladder and plank ideas that include something a Lab can do.

Search online for pet step 2. It is a ramp for pets. We use it for our
lab to get from the dock to our boat. It fold to about 3'. Works for us.
I dont remember where we ordered it from but there were many places on
the intenet.
Dionysus Feldman

Bob Dimond--
In my humble opinion, for any boat, especially older boats, in addition to
the USCG equipment list make sure you have 3-4 additional items on board:

1. GPS
2. VHF (if you already have a fixed station, get a portable backup)
3. Cell phone
4. Boat US or other towing insurance

df--

I have a cell phone -- Sprint, which is selected and paid for by my
company, but doesn't have much coverage here in West Michigan. And
SWMBO has Nextel which is good coverage.

VHF came with the boat. Here we use Channel 9 for hailing, Channel 16
for emergency.

My coverage is on my home-owner's policy, so I guess I should get
Vehicle Assist or BoatUS.

GPS -- I think I'll start another thread.
Dionysus Feldman

df--

3. "Cruise" speed: there wasn't any obvious way to figure out where to
maximize mileage (knotage?). She got up to 3800 RPM and 27kts
(according to fish finder) at WOT, and I've read that cruising speed is
about 65% of RPMs, but she seems to need 3000 RPM to plane, and then
we're only going 17-18 knots.

WayneB--
That engine should turn in the mid 4,000 range if everything is set up
properly and running right. Normal cruising RPMs are 3,200 to 3,400
RPM (about 70%).

df--

Along with the boat came all the paperwork dating back to 1977,
including shop manuals for the engine. The specs state 3800 to 4200 at
WOT. I'm sure they've managed to find a lot more RPM out of the 350
engine in the last 26 years.
Larry Kier

"Dionysus Feldman" wrote in message
She's a 1977 Sea Ray 240 SRV, which is an enclosed cockpit with a cuddy-
type berth. In the catalog they call it a "sedan" boat (catalogs are
available from Sea Ray back for quite some time). She has a new bilge
pump, steering cables, the baffles are very recent and only 321 hours on
her. Her 255 Mercruiser passed a compression test.

I owned an 1974 SRV 240 Weekender with the 351 merc for 7 years.

Things we found:
1. Sharp changes in RPM cause her to veer sharply.

Check the leg for looseness.

2. I didn't notice a distinct "plane" point, as I have on smaller ski
boats. I don't know if that's a semi-displacement hull talking, or the
size of her or just the way she is. The transition between displacement
and plane isn't clear -- that it, the transition is so smooth as to be
indistinct.

That was the case with my boat also, she just gently came up. It is a heavy
hull, that may have something to do with it.

3. "Cruise" speed: there wasn't any obvious way to figure out where to
maximize mileage (knotage?). She got up to 3800 RPM and 27kts
(according to fish finder) at WOT, and I've read that cruising speed is
about 65% of RPMs, but she seems to need 3000 RPM to plane, and then
we're only going 17-18 knots.

Same as mine. I used the tabs to force a 2800 RPM cruise at 16-17 knots.
Max recommended RPM for this model was 4200 RPM but 3900 was all I could
get. you could try a lower pitch prop, but I don't know how much it would
help. I spend a lot of time at 1500 RPM and 7 knots - quiet, pleasant, and
economical.

Enjoy your boat

Larry

Calif Bill

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:25:31 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:
People actually sell their boat? I just seem to keep aquiring, without
disposing. I am trying to sell my 14/ alum boat and trailer.

====================

No problem. I will take your 14 footer and $77,000 in trade on my
Bertram 33. Delivery of 14 footer not required. :-)

I guess you missed where I was trying to reduce my fleet, not rearrange the
makeup. Besides the Bertie will not trailer well, and I want (next boat?) a
26-29' trailer cruiser for both taking to BC and the San Juans and San Diego
and SoCal from my San Francisco area base.
Bill

Bill

Dionysus Feldman

Larry--

"Dionysus Feldman" wrote in message
She's a 1977 Sea Ray 240 SRV, which is an enclosed cockpit with a cuddy-
type berth. In the catalog they call it a "sedan" boat (catalogs are
available from Sea Ray back for quite some time). She has a new bilge
pump, steering cables, the baffles are very recent and only 321 hours on
her. Her 255 Mercruiser passed a compression test.

I owned an 1974 SRV 240 Weekender with the 351 merc for 7 years.

Things we found:
1. Sharp changes in RPM cause her to veer sharply.

Check the leg for looseness.

df--

Um... what's a leg? and which leg?