Default 359# Warsaw Grouper!

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=169757

Nice fish!
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 28, 7:03*pm, D K wrote:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=169757

Nice fish!

Good Lord!! how did they get that thing in the boat?
HK HK is offline

Gene wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:37:35 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jun 28, 7:03 pm, D K wrote:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=169757

Nice fish!

Good Lord!! how did they get that thing in the boat?

A better question, given the degree of over fishing for that species,
is *why* did they get that thing in the boat?

What's the point of that sort of fishing? The same sort of macho
nonsense as hunting for non-dangerous game.

"Look, honey...I shot a deer."

How brave.
Tim Tim is offline

--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1171

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." * - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

I didn't know that species was being plundered? hasn't there been any
restrictions put on that type or weight of fish?
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On Jun 28, 7:03 pm, D K wrote:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=169757

Nice fish!
Good Lord!! *how did they get that thing in the boat?

A better question, given the degree of over fishing for that species,
is *why* did they get that thing in the boat?

What's the point of that sort of fishing? The same sort of macho
nonsense as hunting for non-dangerous game.

"Look, honey...I shot a deer."

How brave.

If I understand your question correctly, since one can't determine the
type of fish on the hook until the fish is close to the boat, that is
the first opportunity for one to throw back those fish that should not
be harvested.

You don't really suggest that hunting should be undertaken only when
the odds are even between the hunter and hunted, do you? Knife fight
with a grizzly? Nunchucks with an elk? Maybe large caliber slingshot
with a bull elephant?

I'm thinking deer at 200 yards with a Win. .270.... that's fair....
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1171

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." * - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

I was thinking about the same distance with a .303 Brit.

HK HK is offline

wrote:

On Jun 28, 7:03 pm, D K wrote:
[...]

If you are bottom fishing in Florida, there is no telling what you are
going to catch. There is no reason to "boat" a giant grouper, except
maybe to demonstrate the fish has evolved more than the guy who caught it.

I have no objection to subsistence hunting. My objection is to the
connecting of hunting with a rifle with terms like "macho," and in many
cases, "sporting." Dropping an animal with a round from a rifle is
neither macho nor sporting in most cases. Hunting with a longbow or a
knife probably is more macho and more sporting, because there are some
animals capable of fighting back.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:26:46 -0400, HK wrote:

If you are bottom fishing in Florida, there is no telling what you are
going to catch. There is no reason to "boat" a giant grouper, except
maybe to demonstrate the fish has evolved more than the guy who caught it.

Those big Warsaw Grouper are found very deep. Talking +200.
Think the subject grouper was taken at +400.
According to something I read they often die from pressure change
even if released.
Think you have to go looking for them, but they boated a number of
other nice fish at that depth, so maybe they weren't after the big
one.
Never fished more than about 60-70' feet in the gulf myself, and have
taken some nice grouper, including a 60-70 pound Jewfish - before
taking a Jewfish became illegal.
Reason Jewfish became endangered was spear fishermen, or so I read.
In any case, big old fish aren't as good eating as the smaller,
younger versions, or so I've heard. Never ate a big, old fish.
Don't know if the subject grouper was good eating.
One guy in the thread said it was probably a hundred years old.
Don't know what age they quit spawning, which is as important as
anything.
It's best not to abuse the wealth of the sea.
I don't know if the subject grouper qualifies for that or not.

--Vic

wrote:

On Jun 28, 7:03 pm, D K wrote:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=169757

Nice fish!
Good Lord!! how did they get that thing in the boat?

A better question, given the degree of over fishing for that species,
is *why* did they get that thing in the boat?

What's the point of that sort of fishing? The same sort of macho
nonsense as hunting for non-dangerous game.

"Look, honey...I shot a deer."

How brave.

Can you imagine someone posting photos of a poor stump that he shot?

--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

This Newsgroup post is a natural product. The slight variations in
spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in
no way are to be considered flaws or defects

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:19:06 -0700, Tim wrote:

I didn't know that species was being plundered? hasn't there been any
restrictions put on that type or weight of fish?

By type, not weight. One Warsaw grouper per vessel, per trip, and it may
not be sold, or traded.

http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/F...per/tabid/337/
Default.aspx

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:51:16 -0500, thunder
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:19:06 -0700, Tim wrote:

I didn't know that species was being plundered? hasn't there been any
restrictions put on that type or weight of fish?

By type, not weight. One Warsaw grouper per vessel, per trip, and it may
not be sold, or traded.

http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/F...per/tabid/337/
Default.aspx

Look ma! I ate the whole thing all by myself.
--
John H

"A government policy to rob Peter to pay Paul can be assured of the support of Paul."
-- George Bernard Shaw