HK HK is offline

Default 359# Warsaw Grouper!

Gene wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 20:46:02 -0400, HK wrote:

Gene wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 17:37:35 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jun 28, 7:03 pm, D K wrote:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=169757

Nice fish!
Good Lord!! how did they get that thing in the boat?
A better question, given the degree of over fishing for that species,
is *why* did they get that thing in the boat?

What's the point of that sort of fishing? The same sort of macho
nonsense as hunting for non-dangerous game.

"Look, honey...I shot a deer."

How brave.

If I understand your question correctly, since one can't determine the
type of fish on the hook until the fish is close to the boat, that is
the first opportunity for one to throw back those fish that should not
be harvested.

You don't really suggest that hunting should be undertaken only when
the odds are even between the hunter and hunted, do you? Knife fight
with a grizzly? Nunchucks with an elk? Maybe large caliber slingshot
with a bull elephant?

I'm thinking deer at 200 yards with a Win. .270.... that's fair....

If you are bottom fishing in Florida, there is no telling what you are
going to catch. There is no reason to "boat" a giant grouper, except
maybe to demonstrate the fish has evolved more than the guy who caught it.

I have no objection to subsistence hunting. My objection is to the
connecting of hunting with a rifle with terms like "macho," and in many
cases, "sporting." Dropping an animal with a round from a rifle is
neither macho nor sporting in most cases. Hunting with a longbow or a
knife probably is more macho and more sporting, because there are some
animals capable of fighting back.