HK HK is offline

Default It's been a long downhill run...

for men's clothes:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/men/mi...C-GM9028969921

Brooks Brothers is selling men's shirts, three for $199. These shirts
surely are manufactured in China (or worse) by workers making a few
pennies a day.

In the good old days, these shirts were manufactured in two factories
(neither owned by Brooks Brothers) in New Haven, Connecticut, my home
town, by members of the ILGWU, who earned union-negotiated wages and
benefits. The workers made a modest living, the shirt manufacturers made
a reasonable profit, and the consumer - guys like me - were able to buy
these men's shirts, three for $27. Once a year, "seconds" were available
for about $6 each.

The economic change is staggering. The shirts are now more than $65
each, instead of $9 each, the workers today make next to nothing, and
the corporationists are making out like bandits.

The last major U.S. shirtmaker, Hathaway, closed its doors years ago.

This is progress?

On Jun 17, 9:57*am, HK wrote:
[...]

Dont worry, Harry.... Loogy, and the rest of the red-neck ****heads
here will still buy their Nascar T-Shirts at Walmart.....Along with
the " Squeezy-Bacon" to enjoy warmed, in the stands. Right outta' the
bottle...Guhiiiillllllllllllllllk !!!!!!!!!

HK wrote:
[...]

If there is no demand, the business folds. Economics 101.
HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:57:42 -0400, HK penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|for men's clothes:
|
|http://www.brooksbrothers.com/men/mi...C-GM9028969921
|

|Brooks Brothers is selling men's shirts, three for $199. These shirts
|surely are manufactured in China (or worse) by workers making a few
|pennies a day.
|
|In the good old days, these shirts were manufactured in two factories
|(neither owned by Brooks Brothers) in New Haven, Connecticut, my home
|town, by members of the ILGWU, who earned union-negotiated wages and
|benefits. The workers made a modest living, the shirt manufacturers made
|a reasonable profit, and the consumer - guys like me - were able to buy
|these men's shirts, three for $27. Once a year, "seconds" were available
|for about $6 each.
|
|The economic change is staggering. The shirts are now more than $65
|each, instead of $9 each, the workers today make next to nothing, and
|the corporationists are making out like bandits.
|
|The last major U.S. shirtmaker, Hathaway, closed its doors years ago.
|
|This is progress?

No, it isn't.... but here is a partial answer:

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/

Hopefully, all of those "post-industrialist" sophomores that posted
here a few years ago assuring me I wasn't bright enough to handle
ECON-101 get it, now. Probably, not.

Thanks, Gene!

--
Republican conservatism is so far out of the mainstream, it is serving
as a drainage ditch somewhere.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:57:42 -0400, HK penned the following well

No, it isn't.... but here is a partial answer:

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/

"This jean is Made in the USA all the way from the materials to the labor
*(non-union)*.
So shop with confidence and pride when purchasing this All American
Classic!"

Nice- non-union.

The long long beard Capt. Rob ASA 13 July 8th 06 07:44 AM
"Downhill Kayaker" On Conan O'Brian Show? (PeteCresswell) General 3 April 1st 06 09:04 PM
long vs. extra long shaft nortyler Cruising 7 August 28th 03 02:36 AM
Touring Kayaks on Rivers - How Long is Too Long Blankibr Touring 3 August 6th 03 04:34 PM
Ahh the downhill slide DSK ASA 0 July 29th 03 06:25 PM