No Spam

Default Bearing Buddy (With Photos)

How do I install it? do I hammer out the silver cap from the wheel (see
photos link below)? that sounds scary to me.. i aint a mechanic. so... also,
the guy told me bearing buddy comes in different size to fit my hub.. do I
bring that silver thing to the marina to buy the right size? thanks...

http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...heel/wheel.jpg

N.S.

"No Spam" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.

They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?

is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Doug Kanter

At home, are you famous for fixing things quickly and correctly, or do you
try and fix a faucet and end up flooding the basement? :-)

And, did you check out the web site? www.bearingbuddy.com

If you're really not sure about it, just pay the dealer and be done with it.

ble.rogers.com...

"No Spam" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.

They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?

is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Rick

Default Bearing Buddy Question

No Spam wrote:
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer. They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install? is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Get them they are worth their weight in gold as far as keeping you
bearings greased and water out.

Rick

Doug Kanter wrote:

"GF" wrote in message
. ca...

I agree they are a must have,BUT they do not replace a good spring
repack.It's easy takes about 20 min per wheel and then let the buddies

take

care of the season.

Do you have your hubs & bearings totally degreased when you repack, or just
wipe out what you can see?

Totally clean if possible

Steve Alexanderson

Don't forget to replace the seal when you repack. Do not use an automotive
seal, make sure it is a marine seal. To be sure of keeping the grease in,
use the Bearing Buddy Spindle Seals. Check their web site.

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Do you have your hubs & bearings totally degreased when you repack, or

just
wipe out what you can see?

It is best to do a complete clean/repack job when you install the buddies.

One
problem is lithium and sodium greases are not compatible. If you are not

sure
what you have you might be mixing them. It is best to pick one brand/type

of
grease and stick with it. Other than being a little messy this repacking

job is
really pretty easy for a novice. Just keep everything clean and be sure

you
work the grease into the bearings before you put it all back together. I
usually use 2 big pieces of cardboard, one when I am taking it apart and
cleaning, toss that, wash up and start with a clean piece for reassembly.
Inspect everything and look for bad spots in your bearings or races. A

few
small chunks of crud in the bearings and you wasted your time. New

bearings are
really not that expensive if you don't like what you see.
Be sure the whole hub is full of grease if you are using buddies since

they
depend on a slight positive pressure throughout to keep the water out.

When you
are greasing them up, watch the plate on the front where the zerk fitting

is.
Just pump it up until the spring plate is near the front stop. If you pump

it
out all the way grease will shoot out the overfill port and go everywhere.
Worst case is you will pump it in faster than it can escape out the

overfill
port and you will blow out the rear seal. Go slow!
It may take a few trips and a few fillings to get the hubs properly

filled.
Once they are it doesn't take much to keep the system pressurized.
The only down side is your wheels get dirty.

Rick

Gfretwell wrote:

[...]

if your wheels get greasy then your seal must be leaking. The grease
point on the bearing buddy should rock back and forth if it does not you
have too much grease in the hub and you will blow out the grease seal.

Ackermann

"No Spam" wrote
How do I install it? do I hammer out the silver cap from the wheel (see
photos link below)? that sounds scary to me.. i aint a mechanic. so... also,
the guy told me bearing buddy comes in different size to fit my hub.. do I
bring that silver thing to the marina to buy the right size? thanks...

http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...heel/wheel.jpg

N.S.

The dust cap comes off rather easily as others have already said. One
thing I would like to mentiuon is also purchasing a pair of Bearing Buddy
Bras. They are rubber "caps" that fit over the Buddies and keep grease
from spreading over your rims and tires. I keep mine in place (cuz I used to
lose a few) by securing them with 11" plastic tie straps pulled very tightly.
The when I need to re-grease I snip the tie strap and remove the bra,
grease it, and put on a new tie strap.

Ron.
Don White

Default More Bearing info

Here is some additional bearing info...
http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/bearing1.html

No Spam wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.

They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?

is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Steve Barker

Take it to your local NAPA or CARQUEST, you'll spend half the money. And
yes, take the silver grease cap with you. Yank it off with a large pair of
channel lock pliers.

--
Steve
=======================
ble.rogers.com...

"No Spam" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I went to a local marina, and I asked about maintenance on the trailer.

They
suggested to me that my trailer needs a product called "Bearing buddy"
which can easily pump grease into the hub with a grease gun. I haven't
installed it yet coz wanna get some comments from you guys.

Any comments on this "Bearing Buddy" product? Is it worthy to install?

is
it easy to do it myself or should I let the Marina guy to do it for me?
Thanks for any advice..

N.S.

Buck Frobisher

"Ackermann" wrote in message

"No Spam" wrote
One
thing I would like to mentiuon is also purchasing a pair of Bearing Buddy
Bras. They are rubber "caps" that fit over the Buddies and keep grease
from spreading over your rims and tires. I keep mine in place (cuz I used

lose a few) by securing them with 11" plastic tie straps pulled very

tightly.
The when I need to re-grease I snip the tie strap and remove the bra,
grease it, and put on a new tie strap.

Ron.

That's someting I'll second. Before I picked up a pair of those at the
Barrie Boat Show a few years ago, I had filthy wheels all the time, and went
through a lot of grease. You won't get a thousand miles between adding
grease without the bras. The BB throws out a lot! The bras keep everything
nice and neat, just like the original caps do.

I'll have a look at their site to see how the cleaning thing goes. In 7
years with this trailer, I've not once cleaned them out and repacked, just
careful attention to making sure they have grease.

Actually, I pump the grease through it till it flows out, and often flush a
lot of crappy looking stuff out. What is it that would "blow" from
pressure? The retainer cap (held by the spring) looks like metal to me...

--
"Stay strong. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

Regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario