Default My new business

Sales of expensive x-ray instruments is not going well in this economy
so I am starting a new business, Mobile Marine Plating, Inc. will
specialize in re-plating small marine parts with anti-corrosive and
decorative metal plating while the parts are in place via "brush
plating". This means we will go to a boat and coat corroded parts
with electroplated nickel or bronze or even gold. Larger numbers of
parts can be brought back to the lab for polishing en masse and re-
coating.
My specialty is nickel plating but one of the most interesting ones is
an electroless nickel coating that has hexagonal boron nitride in it
to give ti lubricating properties along with the anti-corrosion
properties. Think about steel or Aluminum parts that are subject to
wear and corrosion where a coating about .00020" thick would be
helpful.
I am getting tired of hanging out with scientists anyway and want to
hang out in marinas. Will probably start off coating local parts but
will branch out into offshore oil stuff.
HK HK is offline

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Well...all but one piece of "hardware" I've had on every boat I've owned
for the past 20 years has been stainless steel, and it always cleaned up
nicely.

I presume you wirebrush off existing corrosion on hardware you want to
spiff up...what do you do about pits?

BTW, there are lots of quality gold-toned fishing reels from Shimano and
others where the plating has worn off.

They look like this:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...itcasting.html

The reels are still perfectly serviceable, but could use dressing up.
There must be a ka-zillion quality reels that could benefit from a
recoating.

Doubt you could do it on site, though.

HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

What do you mean by "on site", and why would anyone want to?
jps jps is offline

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:37:13 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

That's cool. Best of luck to you in your new venture.

wrote:
[...]

I try not to use a wire brush because that introduces metal from the
brush into the part. Pitting can be "fixed" by brush plating into the
pit and then finely lapping it to the surface contour.
I would expect to see many fixtures from older boats that need re-
coating. I would expect to see places where SS fasteners contact
aluminum because no matter how much of the stuff you put on the
fastener to prevent it, the junction always corrodes.
Fishing reels would be good to do here at the lab.
On-site means the part may not have to be removed from an engine or
other location to be plated. Brush plating is literally plating with
a tiny paint brush like thing so you can plate tiny areas. You dip
the brush into the plating solution and then rub it against the metal
part where you want the plating done.
Larger areas can be done by forming a dam around the area with silicon
putty.

wrote:
[...]

That coating on the Shimano reels looks like Titanium nitride Harry.
I can get that done by electron beam evaporation.

wrote:
[...]

Am amazed I didn't think of doing this several years ago. No more
employees, YES. No more workers comp, no more company pension to to
spend MY money contributing to. No more product reps in F*&k*&g India
calling me at weird times. No more incompetents in Abu Dhabi asking
me to go fix their spectrometer (like F*&k*&ing Hell). No more
supporting sales people. No more IRS hassling me about why this guy
is an independent contractor or employee. FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST,
Thank God ALMIGHTY, I'll be Free At last" without employees.

wrote:
[...]

My major worries are that:

!. I am terrible dealing with people and this will involve some of
that nastiness.
2. I have no idea how to set price.
3 Will I get bored?
HK HK is offline

wrote:
[...]

Setting the price? Call others who do it, and find out what they charge.
My Shimano "gold reels" are small - the 200 series - and only one needs
to be refinished at the moment. I don't recall what I paid for it when
new, maybe $150? It works fine, has a small dent in the case, but isn't
as "purty" as it used to be. I'd pay at least $25 plus shipping if the
coating were durable.

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:22:04 -0400, HK wrote:

Setting the price? Call others who do it, and find out what they charge.
My Shimano "gold reels" are small - the 200 series - and only one needs
to be refinished at the moment. I don't recall what I paid for it when
new, maybe $150? It works fine, has a small dent in the case, but isn't
as "purty" as it used to be. I'd pay at least $25 plus shipping if the
coating were durable.

Always thought battle scars give gear some character.
As long as operation isn't affected.

--Vic