jps jps is offline

Default Dick Cheney simply knows

On Tue, 12 May 2009 20:22:58 -0400, Cliff wrote:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...ify-a-war.html
[
... there are many things that Dick Cheney simply knows - even though the CIA,
the State Department, and much of the professional machinery of government
might disagree. In fact, disagreement by State and CIA actually only tends to
confirm Cheney's view, in his mind, that he is always, always right.

So what were the two things of which Cheney was completely sure after 9/11,
regardless of the objective evidence? He was sure that there was an operational
connection between Saddam and al Qaeda, and sure that Saddam had weapons of mass
destruction.
]
[
.... Cheney had already been responsible for the worst attack on American soil
in US history. By his reading of his oath of office, he had already broken it.
So he finds two potential Qaeda suspects and they are interrogated ... but
although they tell him a lot about al Qaeda, they don't tell him what he wants
to know and believes is true. And what he believes is true could, in his mind,
threaten the US and thousands of American lives. He wasn't alone in this fear. I
was right there along with him, as most of us were. But, from all we now know,
he went one step further in this quest than any American elected official had
ever done in history before.

From much of what we can glean, it was only after the suspects had given up lots
of info, but not the info Cheney wanted, that the torture started, as it usually
does in history. It starts with someone empowered with torture to get from a
victim the words that will confirm what the torturer already believes. This
evidence can then be publicly cited as proof that Cheney is right ... and
justify further torture and even, in this case, partly justify an entire war
that killed tens of thousands and cost trillions of dollars and still has almost
the entire US military locked down with no way out in the middle of the Middle
East. Moreover, the result of torture - it worked! you can almost hear Cheney
exult - proves that other potential torture victims could also be forced to tell
us the same thing.
]
[
And so Ibn al-Sheikh al-Libi was first captured by the US and tortured by CIA
surrogates in an Egyptian cell. Apparently, they beat him and put him in a
coffin for 17 hours as a mock-burial. To end the severe mental and physical
suffering, he confessed that Saddam had trained al Qaeda terrorists in deploying
WMDs. This evidence was then cited by Colin Powell as part of the rationale for
going to war in Iraq. Bingo! And we wonder why torture is such a temptation.
Which politician wouldn't want to be able to manufacture evidence to support
what he wants to do anyway?
]
[
And David Rose subsequently discovered what Bush and Cheney got out of the
torture session, once the professional interrogators had been ushered out:

Rose quotes a Pentagon analyst who read the transcripts from the interrogation:
“Abu Zubaydah was saying Iraq and Al-Qaeda had an operational relationship. It
was everything the administration hoped it would be.” That analyst did not then
know that the evidence was procured through torture. “As soon as I learnt that
the reports had come from torture, once my anger had subsided I understood the
damage it had done,” the analyst says.

We still have memos and a bureaucratic paper trail. But we don't have the tapes
of those torture sessions which were destroyed - yes this is a Hollywood movie -
by the CIA. And as for al-Libi, a man who could also flesh out the details of
his torture and what Cheney forced him to say ... well, for a long time, he
simply went missing:

"I would speculate that he was missing because he was such an embarrassment to
the Bush administration," said Tom Malinowski, the head of the Washington office
of Human Rights Watch. "He was Exhibit A in the narrative that tortured
confessions contributed to the massive intelligence failure that preceded the
Iraq war."

Yesterday, he was found dead in a Libyan jail, an apparent "suicide".
]

Seems pretty dead on to me.