Default Loran C

I heard a rumour the US Military want to end the use of Loran on
waterways. They want us all to revert to GPS based systems. They say
they're easier to jam.......
I can see a real stink coming from the Commercial Fishermen, and
anyone else who uses it.
Anyone else hear this?

On May 8, 10:25*pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2009 22:23:44 -0400, Tom Francis - SWSports

wrote:
On Fri, 8 May 2009 18:45:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I heard a rumour the US Military want to end the use of Loran on
waterways. They want us all to revert to GPS based systems. They say
they're easier to jam.......
I can see a real stink coming from the Commercial Fishermen, and
anyone else who uses it.
Anyone else hear this?

Yesterday's news. Obambi is killing the LORAN program because it's
"wasteful".

We had a discussion on it yesterday.

Search for "The End of Loran" by Eisboch.

Ooooops. I scanned back several pages, and it didn't show up. I did
find it, though.

"Wizard of Woodstock" wrote

Learn something new every day. I know a lot of the charter guys have
translated their loran data to GPS, but apparently not the commecial
draggers and seiners.

Just wondering. What does a good LORAN unit cost vs. GPS?

wrote:
On Fri, 8 May 2009 18:45:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I heard a rumour the US Military want to end the use of Loran on
waterways. They want us all to revert to GPS based systems. They say
they're easier to jam.......
I can see a real stink coming from the Commercial Fishermen, and
anyone else who uses it.
Anyone else hear this?

Yesterday's news. Obambi is killing the LORAN program because it's
"wasteful".

We had a discussion on it yesterday.

Search for "The End of Loran" by Eisboch.

Ooooops. I scanned back several pages, and it didn't show up. I did
find it, though.

You and eisboch were dead on right. *I just downloaded the messages
from an email list I'm on for New England Fisheries Management Council
and the commercial guys are ****ed off and not in a nice way either -
salty language galore. :)

Surprized the hell out of me - apparently a lot of the commerical guys
still use LORAN-C to find their honey holes.

Learn something new every day. I know a lot of the charter guys have
translated their loran data to GPS, but apparently not the commecial
draggers and seiners.

The Commercial Fishermen I referred to, are the Great Lakes Fishermen.
No dragging, and seine nets up here.

wrote:
[...]

Commercial fishermen are commercial fishermen.

On Fri, 8 May 2009 22:02:47 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Wizard of Woodstock" wrote

Learn something new every day. I know a lot of the charter guys have
translated their loran data to GPS, but apparently not the commecial
draggers and seiners.

Just wondering. What does a good LORAN unit cost vs. GPS?

Good question. You probably won't find a new one as I don't believe
they are made anymore.

I could be wrong on that though. I have a couple of newer Raytheon
units that still work and I'm hanging on to them.

The end of LORAN Eisboch[_4_] General 37 May 8th 09 05:39 PM
Loran C Id rather be sailing General 1 June 20th 05 07:16 PM
loran R Whellum Cruising 1 March 17th 05 01:54 PM
Loran vs GPS mark s Electronics 11 November 4th 03 05:00 AM
Loran vs GPS mark s General 5 November 4th 03 01:01 AM