Default The end of LORAN

Oh well. It was nice having a backup system to GPS, but it looks like it's
dead.
I think it was Clinton who tried to dump it before but it was retained due
to an overwhelming protest by the military, commercial transportation
operations and the general boating/aviation public.

GPS can be jammed. LORAN is much more difficult to jam. I've used both
and although GPS is very good, I always liked the reliability of LORAN.

Eisboch

jps jps is offline

On Thu, 7 May 2009 10:57:09 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Oh well. It was nice having a backup system to GPS, but it looks like it's
dead.
I think it was Clinton who tried to dump it before but it was retained due
to an overwhelming protest by the military, commercial transportation
operations and the general boating/aviation public.

GPS can be jammed. LORAN is much more difficult to jam. I've used both
and although GPS is very good, I always liked the reliability of LORAN.

Eisboch

Again you find yourself in the minority. What's a renaissance man to
do?

wrote:

Oh well. It was nice having a backup system to GPS, but it looks like
it's
dead.
I think it was Clinton who tried to dump it before but it was retained due
to an overwhelming protest by the military, commercial transportation
operations and the general boating/aviation public.

GPS can be jammed. LORAN is much more difficult to jam. I've used both
and although GPS is very good, I always liked the reliability of LORAN.

Eisboch

Again you find yourself in the minority. What's a renaissance man to
do?

Buy new tubes for my tires?

Eisboch

On Thu, 7 May 09, "Eisboch" wrote:
GPS is very good, I always liked the reliability of LORAN.

Me too.
I haven't checked my Loran lately though, to see if it's dead. Thanks
for the heads up. I knew it was slated to be canceled at some point
but I haven't seen any final shut down announcement. Maybe I've
mentally tuned them out along with all the shut down of analog TV
announcements? Anyhow, I hate to see it go.

Rick

wrote:

Oh well. * It was nice having a backup system to GPS, but it looks like
it's
dead.
I think it was Clinton who tried to dump it before but it was retained due
to an overwhelming protest by the military, commercial transportation
operations and the general boating/aviation public.

GPS can be jammed. *LORAN is much more difficult to jam. * I've used both
and although GPS is very good, I always liked the reliability of LORAN.

Eisboch

Again you find yourself in the minority. *What's a renaissance man to
do?

Buy new tubes for my tires?

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

Or new tubes for your black and white tv!

wrote in message
On Thu, 7 May 09, "Eisboch" wrote:
GPS is very good, I always liked the reliability of LORAN.

Me too.
I haven't checked my Loran lately though, to see if it's dead. Thanks
for the heads up. I knew it was slated to be canceled at some point
but I haven't seen any final shut down announcement. Maybe I've
mentally tuned them out along with all the shut down of analog TV
announcements? Anyhow, I hate to see it go.

Rick

Obama just announced it today, so it may take a while to phase out.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
On Thu, 7 May 2009 15:49:00 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
Oh, by the way - the 17 billion? It's not a "cost savings" at all as
it turns out. Just on CNBC - it's being "re-directed" to more Obama
friendly proposals. So it's not a "cost savings" but a redirection of
the funds to other projects.

Like I said - you go out to buy $100,000 Mercedes and come back with a
$20,000 Toyota - you "saved" $80,000.

Oh. I get it. Then you give the $80K to Toyota to keep them in business.

Exactly.

Very slippery people these Obamaminions. I never thought I'd live long
enough to see a President out slick Clinton, but this guy is a classic
slippery character.

It's all smoke and mirrors - OH LOOK OVER THERE and never mind what
I'm doing over here.

I *love* the right-wingnut consternation... :)

wrote:

Oh well. It was nice having a backup system to GPS, but it looks like it's
dead.
I think it was Clinton who tried to dump it before but it was retained due
to an overwhelming protest by the military, commercial transportation
operations and the general boating/aviation public.

GPS can be jammed. LORAN is much more difficult to jam. I've used both
and although GPS is very good, I always liked the reliability of LORAN.

I agree. It's a mistake.

In my opinion, instead of the minor "savings" by eliminating it, they
should upgrade it and promote it as a backup system to the extremely
vunerable GPS system.

And after watching "The One" in his "cost savings announcement", I'd
just like to say that it's much like telling your wife that your going
out to buy a $100,000 Mercedes and coming home with a $20,000 Toyota.
You "saved" $80,000. :)

This administration is brain dead.
HK HK is offline

Awwwwwwww. The grapes of wrath are exceedingly sour, hey, Tom?

wrote:

[...]

And so are it's apologists.
Who would have thought there were so many Dilberts in this country?

old ray jefferson L-400 loran; need help with RB Electronics 1 March 28th 06 07:08 PM
Loran C Id rather be sailing General 1 June 20th 05 07:16 PM
loran R Whellum Cruising 1 March 17th 05 01:54 PM
Loran vs GPS mark s Electronics 11 November 4th 03 05:00 AM
Loran vs GPS mark s General 5 November 4th 03 01:01 AM