Tom Francis - SWSports Tom Francis - SWSports is offline

Default The end of LORAN

On Thu, 7 May 2009 10:57:09 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Oh well. It was nice having a backup system to GPS, but it looks like it's
dead.
I think it was Clinton who tried to dump it before but it was retained due
to an overwhelming protest by the military, commercial transportation
operations and the general boating/aviation public.

GPS can be jammed. LORAN is much more difficult to jam. I've used both
and although GPS is very good, I always liked the reliability of LORAN.

I agree. It's a mistake.

In my opinion, instead of the minor "savings" by eliminating it, they
should upgrade it and promote it as a backup system to the extremely
vunerable GPS system.

And after watching "The One" in his "cost savings announcement", I'd
just like to say that it's much like telling your wife that your going
out to buy a $100,000 Mercedes and coming home with a $20,000 Toyota.
You "saved" $80,000. :)

This administration is brain dead.