Default Merc acting up

Took out my 40 Merc ELPTO for its trial run today. It ran okay. Ran it up
to full throttle, then about 300 yards later, it had symptoms of gas
starvation. It has an in line filter, which I am changing tomorrow, then
take it for a spin after that. It also is cranky at low rpms, needing the
fast idle to start and run. Been sitting up for a while. Gas was emptied,
and fresh gas put in this morning. Plenty of run time to burn out what was
left in carbs. Checked connectors, and they are the Merc snap type. They
LOOKED to be on there and snapped. New spark plugs.

I imagine I'll take it to the shop and have it tuned, but any ideas what
makes it lose power on high rpms? Will see if a new filter makes a
difference. This one LOOKS clean, I mean, no dark color on the filter paper
inside the see through filter.

Steve

MMC MMC is offline

"SteveB" wrote in message
Took out my 40 Merc ELPTO for its trial run today. It ran okay. Ran it
up to full throttle, then about 300 yards later, it had symptoms of gas
starvation. It has an in line filter, which I am changing tomorrow, then
take it for a spin after that. It also is cranky at low rpms, needing the
fast idle to start and run. Been sitting up for a while. Gas was
emptied, and fresh gas put in this morning. Plenty of run time to burn
out what was left in carbs. Checked connectors, and they are the Merc
snap type. They LOOKED to be on there and snapped. New spark plugs.

I imagine I'll take it to the shop and have it tuned, but any ideas what
makes it lose power on high rpms? Will see if a new filter makes a
difference. This one LOOKS clean, I mean, no dark color on the filter
paper inside the see through filter.

Steve

Could be the vent on the tank or the fuel pump isn't drawing right and you
made it that far by priming the bulb on the line or could be the line
itself.

SteveB wrote:
Took out my 40 Merc ELPTO for its trial run today. It ran okay. Ran it up
to full throttle, then about 300 yards later, it had symptoms of gas
starvation. It has an in line filter, which I am changing tomorrow, then
take it for a spin after that. It also is cranky at low rpms, needing the
fast idle to start and run. Been sitting up for a while. Gas was emptied,
and fresh gas put in this morning. Plenty of run time to burn out what was
left in carbs. Checked connectors, and they are the Merc snap type. They
LOOKED to be on there and snapped. New spark plugs.

I imagine I'll take it to the shop and have it tuned, but any ideas what
makes it lose power on high rpms? Will see if a new filter makes a
difference. This one LOOKS clean, I mean, no dark color on the filter paper
inside the see through filter.

Steve

I used to have that same motor, a '99, and has the same problem. The
carb needed a thorough cleaning.

A bad stator could also affect the higher RPM's but save that for last -
they are big bucks.

-dk