Default Fuses - Slow Acting or Fast Acting ??

I'm wondering if I should have fast-acting or slow-acting fuses.

Thoughts or links to relevent information much appreciated.

Boat is 22'. Fuses are the glass type like on older autos. (AGC type??)

Like this one: http://www.electronix.com/catalog/images/agc.jpg

Fused electronics a

** Starter Solenoid
** Navagation lights
** Instruments & Depth Finder
** Cockpit / Courtesy Lights
** Manual Bilge Pump Switch
** 12-Volt Outlet
** Cabin Light
** From Generator / Regulator into the Electrical System
** Voltage Meter

Note: Bilge Pumps have a float. Two batteries on boat and two pumps. Each
pump has an always-on (not switched) line from one of the batteries. These
have in-line fuses, not in the fuse panel.

Thanks,
Gary

** Starter Solenoid
** Manual Bilge Pump Switch
** From Generator / Regulator into the Electrical System

slow

** Navagation lights
** Instruments & Depth Finder
** Cockpit / Courtesy Lights
** 12-Volt Outlet
** Cabin Light
** Voltage Meter

fast

That's just my opinion...

anything that carries a heavy load temporarily shouldbe a slow burn fuse;
anything you want to "save" from damage should be fast (electronics, etc)

if in doubt, use fast for everything and if it burns out quickly try slow; never
go to higher amperage unless you're sure that the load warrants it.

-j

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:35:35 -0400, "Gary"
wrote:

I'm wondering if I should have fast-acting or slow-acting fuses.

Thoughts or links to relevent information much appreciated.

Boat is 22'. Fuses are the glass type like on older autos. (AGC type??)

Like this one: http://www.electronix.com/catalog/images/agc.jpg

Fused electronics a

** Starter Solenoid
** Navagation lights
** Instruments & Depth Finder
** Cockpit / Courtesy Lights
** Manual Bilge Pump Switch
** 12-Volt Outlet
** Cabin Light
** From Generator / Regulator into the Electrical System
** Voltage Meter

Note: Bilge Pumps have a float. Two batteries on boat and two pumps. Each
pump has an always-on (not switched) line from one of the batteries. These
have in-line fuses, not in the fuse panel.

First you have to understand the difference.

Fast fuses do not have a "lag" time and are designed to protect
circuits that can not stand overload for any length of time.

Slow fuses do have a lag time and allow a small amount of overload to
pass through until the current stabilizes.

Now, to your question:

** Starter Solenoid

Slow

** Navagation lights

Slow

** Instruments & Depth Finder

Fast

** Cockpit / Courtesy Lights

Slow
** Manual Bilge Pump Switch

Slow
** 12-Volt Outlet

Slow
** Cabin Light

Slow
** From Generator / Regulator into the Electrical System

Slow

** Voltage Meter

Fast

It's ok to replace a slow fuse with a fast fuse, but not vice versa.

With glass fuses, it helps diagnose a problem. For example if the
glass is discolored after it blows, then the overload was large and
you have a problem in the circuit. If the glass is clear with broken
elements, it's a slow gradual overload.

In either case, it needs to be investigated.

On Jul 27, 3:35 pm, "Gary" wrote:
I'm wondering if I should have fast-acting or slow-acting fuses.

OT: Years ago went into the local shop for fuses ... the sweetie
behind the counter asked if I wanted a slow blow ... or fast. The
males working there were rolling on the floor behind her laughing
their guts out while I did my best to maintain a straight face
replying ... slow, please.