Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Sheriff says concealed carry law is helping

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - It is a story bound to re-ignite debate about
concealed weapons permits in the Palmetto State. On Saturday night,
police say a man was shot and killed when he tried to rob people at an
Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

For the second time in two months, law enforcement says the response
is appropriate.

"We've got a violent society. Times have changed. It's not the 60s and
the 70s, when you didn't have people with guns. You have bad guys now
and they all have guns. They're committing more serious crimes against
people. So I think the fact that we've got law enforcement being
assisted by citizens who are properly trained and armed, are helping
us out," said Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott.

Saturday's fatal shooting of an 18-year-old armed robbery suspect in
Five Points follows last month's retaliation by an Irmo pizza
deliveryman.

In that incident, investigators say the victim had been physically
assaulted before he pulled out a gun and killed his attacker.

In both cases, the men who fired back had valid concealed weapons
permits.

State Law Enforcement Division figures show steady increases in the
number of South Carolinians applying for and receiving those permits.

That's a law enforcement expert saying that guns in the hands of law-
abiding citizens is a good thing. But, he's not a hand-wringing
pantywaist.