No Name

Default Getting paint off aluminum hull

A tough job indeed. Can you determine what paint was used? e.g. Latex?
Enamel? Lacquer? Epoxy? One never knows what someone will use to paint with.
Usually, it's with whatevers laying around. I would do the following:
carefully mask off the affected area with masking tape and a 6" safe border
around the area with masking paper. Wear protective gloves and clothing you
can discard. Apply a liberal coat of "Zip Strip", "Strip Ease", "Strips It"
to the paint with a brush you can discard. Let set about 30 min.wipe away
with a putty knife, scuff pad, rags, depending on location. These products
are Volatile extremely effective, and will cause burns on the skin. Be
careful. Natural oxidation will take care of the New look over time. Note:
Any remaining residual that touches any vulnerable surface WILL effect it.
Good Luck.
"SteveB" wrote in message
Someone painted the console of my Lund. Then didn't mask it off, and some
of the spray got on the inside side of the boat. In several places.
Ronnie Milsap coulda did a better job.

I'm going to pull the console and the bench and everything else that will
come out for recarpeting. While it's out, I'll paint it right. But I
need to take off the paint from the aluminum. Suggestions? A vibrating
sander? Acetone? Paint remover? Scouring pads? What will look decent
without buffing it up? And if I do buff it up, how would I age it quickly
to dull it down before I put the parts back in there?

Help appreciated.

Steve

Default Getting paint off aluminum hull/redux

I just went out and tried an SOS pad. The paint came off easily. It shines
the metal a little, but that's liveable, as it will oxydize soon. The
places where it is oversprayed are thin misty kinds of spray patterns. This
will be much easier than I thought. I did discover that I will have to
drill out some of the through the hull rivets to totally remove benches and
console, but I can put back gasketed bolts and nylocks. With the benches
and console completely removed, I can get a nice coat of paint on them, and
make them acceptable looking again. Don't want to go into restoration, but
I do like to have things looking nice.

But I'll probably take it fishing a few times first just like it is.
Probably stop catching fish out of it when I doll it up, tho. Seems that's
the way it goes. Maybe I'll just leave it like it is...... get a couple
cans of rattlepaint ..... some brown and green and paint it camo. Sneak up
on those fish.........

Steve

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

DO NOT USE SOS pad or steel wool! Get 3M pad. The steel wool breaks off
little bits of iron and sticks in the aluminum causing nasty rust stains.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Damn, I know that from welding. Duh!

"Gene" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:34:43 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

AND even WORSE dissimilar metal corrosion....
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1171

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net...at/my_boat.htm

Does not seem to be a big problem with steel wool. But a piece of copper
wire will make a hole through the boat.

No Name

I completely dismantled a 16' Mirrocraft center seat and console from the
boat. I drilled out the factory rivets and replaced them during assembly
with an aluminum rubber gasketed washer that fit the 3\16 replacement rivet
snugly. These fasteners are available at your large industrial fastener
supply company and work well providing you with a very neat and professional
appearing finished job. They are NOT found at your local True Value or at
Sears. Rivets, washers, drill bit (Buy 2), Rivet gun, about $50.00.