Default Raining like crazy here.....

On Mar 25, 10:20*am, "Don White" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 25, 1:03 am, "Mike" wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message

.. .

"Tim" wrote in message
huge front rolling in. It may rain for a couple days... *ugh* just
when it was starting to feel nice, too. Looks like "April showers" are
coming a bit soon.

Oh well.....

We just had a good sized snow storm.......... and I discovered a flat
tire
on my Ranger PU, one week before I unload it..d'oh!

How long did you drive around before you realized it was flat?

--Mike

As soon as Harry told him.

You're a born commedian.
A couple of hours after returning the dog from his run, I went outside and
discovered my flat *in the driveway*.
All fixed... Ford Roadside Assistance sent the CAA service truck to help. He
used a compressed tank of air to blow the tire back up & followed me to a
well established tire shop about three city blocks from my house.
They removed the tire, patched it from the inside and sent me on my way for
$25.00 CDN....about $20 yankee dollahs.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, can't believe anything you say anymore, your crediblity is
shot. But, it was a simply amazing story.......

On Mar 25, 6:28*am, HK wrote:
Don White wrote:
wrote in message
On Mar 25, 1:03 am, "Mike" wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

. ..

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Roofing nail? Whenever I get a flat, the shop usually finds the culprit
to be a roofing nail.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, that's the only thing in the world that will cause a flat
tire......

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Don White wrote:
wrote in message
On Mar 25, 1:03 am, "Mike" wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

The tire guy just said it was a nail....didn't mention what kind. I learned
to stay away from new construction.
I've been lucky around 2 brother-in-laws houses. They're both in the
drywall business and the screws they use are darn sharp.

Default Tire plugs (was rain)

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:23:45 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

Drywall screws are the usual suspect here. They just seem to be
attracted to tires. I was never sure how they got flipped up and driven
in but when you pull them out they are always perpendicular to the
tread. The fix is usually just shooting in a plug. I know they have a
bad reputation but I have never seen one fail and construction people
get lots of flats. With all the nail guns, there is always "air" on the
job and someone has a tire plug handle in their tool box.

Rear tire? Most of my flats tend to be the rear tires. I figure the
front tire bounces the point up for the rear tire to catch. Probably
not, but still most of my flats tend to be the rear tire. I also use
plugs without any problems.

On Mar 25, 2:23*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 06:28:54 -0400, HK wrote:
Roofing nail? Whenever I get a flat, the shop usually finds the culprit
to be a roofing nail.

Drywall screws are the usual suspect here. They just seem to be
attracted to tires. I was never sure how they got flipped up and
driven in but when you pull them out they are always perpendicular to
the tread. The fix is usually just shooting in a plug. I know they
have a bad reputation but I have never seen one fail and construction
people get lots of flats. With all the nail guns, there is always
"air" on the job and someone has a tire plug handle in their tool box.

I've been plugging my own tires (yes, steel belt radials) since I can
remember. I've NEVER had one fail. And that myth about not using them
in sidewalls? I had a puncture in the sidewall of my Jeep tire,
plugged it, ran it for 25,000 miles. It never failed, the tire tread
wore out.

wrote in message

I've been plugging my own tires (yes, steel belt radials) since I can
remember. I've NEVER had one fail. And that myth about not using them
in sidewalls? I had a puncture in the sidewall of my Jeep tire,
plugged it, ran it for 25,000 miles. It never failed, the tire tread
wore out.

-----------------------------------

I'd say you were lucky.

Using a plug in the tread section of a tire is not a big deal because the
failure mode, (if it fails) is typically a slow leak that is noticeable.

The problem with using them in the sidewall isn't associated with the plug.
It's the risk that the damage to the sidewall of the tire itself (from the
original cut or hole) compromises the sidewall strength of the tire. The
failure mode is likely to be a sudden and catastrophic blowout and immediate
deflation. Not something you want to happen tooling down the highway at 65
mph. Tends to send vehicles end over end.

Reputable garages will refuse to even attempt to fix a tire with sidewall
damage.

Eisboch

On Mar 25, 2:53*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I understand what is normally said about sidewall punctures, but
that wasn't the first time I've done it. Besides, with steel belted
radials, the belts are actually a structural component of the sidewall
and help hold it together. That being said, if I ran a shop where I
had liability I wouldn't plug or even patch ANY tire.
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Just about every legit site on auto repair and tire repair tells readers
NOT to plug sidewalls.

I'd nominate Loogy for a Darwin Award, but he'd probably put it on his
mantel and point to it with pride.

"Don White" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I didn't post what I posted as an insult. It was meant to be informative.
However, some people will take any and every opportunity, I guess.

Eisboch

crazy tourists Don White General 0 September 29th 08 02:09 PM
Its raining ,, snowing ,, so: know any good anchorage spots along the Maine coast? NE Sailboat Cruising 4 April 16th 07 06:23 AM
Still raining .... RCE General 2 May 15th 06 05:46 AM
It's raining snow..... Short Wave Sportfishing General 2 November 12th 04 07:45 PM
Okay, it can stop raining now!!!!!!! Butch Ammon General 4 August 10th 03 03:39 PM