Default Consumer marine, Bluecharts, Garmin 76map

I bought my Garmin 76smap from Consumer Marine for $214 and after
seeing a chartplotter working decided that having a chart display on
the GPS was a good idea for my Tolman bought the Bluechart CD for
$199. The blurb in the catalogue said it (the CD) contained charts
for "The Americas". OK, it has arrived and what you REALLY get is the
right to a chart of a very small portion of the Americas. In my case,
all I really get is a chart that covers the NW central Gulf of Mexico,
roughly from Steinhatchee west to Texas, not exactly "The Americas".
If I want charts for the lower SW portion of Fl and the Keys I have to
pay a lot more, RIP OFF. I have not opened the Bluchart package yet
and may return it, opinions?

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 07:25:21 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

I have not opened the Bluchart package yet
and may return it, opinions?

Your perception is exactly correct. Garmin makes a lot of money with
their Bluchart ripoff. If you get a Garmin 192 or 192S all of
Florida is on one memory chip. If you get a plotter that takes CMAP
chips, all of Florida plus the Bahamas are on one chip.

HK HK is offline

Frogwatch wrote:
I bought my Garmin 76smap from Consumer Marine for $214 and after
seeing a chartplotter working decided that having a chart display on
the GPS was a good idea for my Tolman bought the Bluechart CD for
$199. The blurb in the catalogue said it (the CD) contained charts
for "The Americas". OK, it has arrived and what you REALLY get is the
right to a chart of a very small portion of the Americas. In my case,
all I really get is a chart that covers the NW central Gulf of Mexico,
roughly from Steinhatchee west to Texas, not exactly "The Americas".
If I want charts for the lower SW portion of Fl and the Keys I have to
pay a lot more, RIP OFF. I have not opened the Bluchart package yet
and may return it, opinions?

Rip off? I thought you were a Republican fan of corporatism?

When I bought my Garmin 4208, I read the info on the Garmin site and
knew I'd also have to order some software that would unlock the areas on
the Bluechart CD that I wanted. The info is there for the reading, and
it isn't hidden. Apparently you didn't take the time to check out what
you were doing before you did it.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
I bought my Garmin 76smap from Consumer Marine for $214 and after
seeing a chartplotter working decided that having a chart display on
the GPS was a good idea for my Tolman bought the Bluechart CD for
$199. The blurb in the catalogue said it (the CD) contained charts
for "The Americas". OK, it has arrived and what you REALLY get is the
right to a chart of a very small portion of the Americas. In my case,
all I really get is a chart that covers the NW central Gulf of Mexico,
roughly from Steinhatchee west to Texas, not exactly "The Americas".
If I want charts for the lower SW portion of Fl and the Keys I have to
pay a lot more, RIP OFF. I have not opened the Bluchart package yet
and may return it, opinions?

$199.00 seems a lot for one bluechart. Price must have gone up.
I would have to buy two to cover all of Nova Scotia.
see...
http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/b...40&cd=Americas

I have the CA005R

HK HK is offline

Don White wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

The Bluechart regions are about $100 each.

Do the portable Garmins work properly on airplanes, or are they still
"disabled" for really high speeds so you buy the airplane model?

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Don White wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds about right...I paid $139.00 up here.
Correction...I would need a third chart to cover the northern shore.
As for he airplane business...I haven't heard that. I'd ask permission
before I pulled one out and started to fiddle with it.
I'm wondering if it would receive a signal under all that aluminum.

"Don White" wrote in message

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Don White wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

Yes they do work, and the flight attendent will tell you to put it away, as
use is not allowed on commercial airliners. People in the seats across the
aisle and not me got the notice.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

Yes they do work, and the flight attendent will tell you to put it away,
as use is not allowed on commercial airliners. People in the seats across
the aisle and not me got the notice.

Why? If it is receive only, it can't interfere with the airplane navigation
system.

Eisboch

DK DK is offline

Calif Bill wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
"HK" wrote in message
m...
Don White wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

I brought my Garmin on a few flights and had no problem with the flight
attendants.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

Yes they do work, and the flight attendent will tell you to put it away,
as use is not allowed on commercial airliners. People in the seats
across the aisle and not me got the notice.

Why? If it is receive only, it can't interfere with the airplane
navigation system.

Eisboch

I would assume more a terrorism item. You want to blow up the bomb in the
luggage in a certain area. Would be nice to know where you were located.