RoyB

Default PC Viewer for Garmin Bluecharts

I've got the mapsource viewer for Garmin charts but I'm looking for
something more.

Are there PC programs that offer more functionality than the Garmin
product that can read Mapsource / Bluechart data?

Oldbie

RoyB wrote:

I've got the mapsource viewer for Garmin charts but I'm looking for
something more.

Are there PC programs that offer more functionality than the Garmin
product that can read Mapsource / Bluechart data?

Post your question on sci.geo.satellite-nav - all the gps & map nerds
hang out there.

Michael Holz

Hi!
I've got the mapsource viewer for Garmin charts but I'm looking for
something more.
Are there PC programs that offer more functionality than the Garmin
product that can read Mapsource / Bluechart data?

Short answer: NO

cu Michael

Chuck Tribolet

What functionality do you want? I'm not sure there's much more that
could be done with available data.

And have you upgraded Mapsource off Garmin's website?

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"RoyB" wrote in message ...
I've got the mapsource viewer for Garmin charts but I'm looking for
something more.

Are there PC programs that offer more functionality than the Garmin
product that can read Mapsource / Bluechart data?

RoyB

One feature that comes to mind that I'd like is;

I'd like to be able to insert an object sort of like a waypoint,
except that we might call it an "Information point". The idea being
that I could attach a lengthy note to the point containing some useful
info relating to a location.. or perhaps this same "Info point" could
have a URL instead of or in addition to a comment and clicking the url
could take me to a web page or document,

Obviously this would only be useful when viewing on a PC and couldn't
be downloaded to my GPS, but I intend to take a laptop along on trips
in dah boat anyway.

That sort of thing is one idea.

I'm going to be awfully embarassed if someone now tells me that what I
want to do is already there.

Roy

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:47:56 -0700, "Chuck Tribolet"
wrote:

What functionality do you want? I'm not sure there's much more that
could be done with available data.

And have you upgraded Mapsource off Garmin's website?

MDJ

Don't think that's possible with the Garmin stuff, but if you are
interested, check out this software.

http://www.rcds.co.uk

In the current version of the software, it only uses ARCS british admiralty
raster charts but you can add notes to a waypoint and attach images etc.

Hope this helps

MarkDJ
http://www.princessownersclub.com

wrote:

What functionality do you want? I'm not sure there's much more that
could be done with available data.

And have you upgraded Mapsource off Garmin's website?

RaBi

Color me naive but 400 bloody pounds for the SW then more for the charts
seems a bit expensive when one can buy equivalent land navigation SW for
$39(US) that includes maps.

The difference is:
They sell hundret thousands of copies of land navigation software to
individual users, additionally the digital maps are used by millions of
internet users on dozens of sites.
Just compare the number car-owners, motorbike-owners or even shoe-owners
(they are all potential buyers of land based navigation) to the number of
boat-owners and you get the picture.

Besides: A street map won't get you anywhere with your boat except when
trailering ;o)

Vito

RaBi wrote:

Color me naive but 400 bloody pounds for the SW then more for the charts
seems a bit expensive when one can buy equivalent land navigation SW for
$39(US) that includes maps.

The difference is:
They sell hundret thousands of copies of land navigation software ...

True, but they'd prolly sell alot more marine nav SW were it affordable.

Reminds me of some idiots I worked for. They bought a mainframe to sell
time on. How much? Everybody else was getting cost + 10%. Sounded good
except to their first customer who was asked to pay the whole load + 10%
until others signed up. Need I say they never got that first customer?
Never did figure why ....
RaBi

True, but they'd prolly sell alot more marine nav SW were it affordable.

the problem is that boating guys still make up a _very_ limited market
compared to land navigation.