Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
HK HK is offline

Default A qualified electronics repairman...

This is a bit off topic, but not far-fetched.

The power supply circuit on my tube HD TV went teats up. I knew what it
was because the manufacturer included a routine that flashed LED codes,
depending upon the problem.

So, I called several repair facilities, and all of them told me about
the same thing...that a repair would run about $350 for a new power
supply circuit board, and $150 for the service call. The set weighs 225
pounds and I wasn't about to muscle it into a shop.

I called another shop, and a fellow with a heavy accent answered. He
asked about the code, then asked me for the model and serial number.
About an hour later, I got a call from him, saying he could fix the set
for about $60 in parts and $125 for the service call. He said he knew
precisely what was wrong and how to fix it.

What the hell. Less than $200 versus $500?

So, he came out the other day and wrestled the set around so he could
free it from its covers. Then he disassembled some large chunks of
electronic and got to a circuit board about the size of the motherboard
in a desktop computer. He brought a soldering table, a magnifying light
and a commercial grade soldering gun with him. In about 20 minutes, he
removed and replace two chips, re-assembled the set and voila!

I was chatting with the guy while he was doing his repairs. He was from
Cameroon, had been here a few years, and learned how to fix TVs in his
native land. "We fix stuff in the Cameroons," he said. "No one has
enough money to buy new."

That's why he fixed the circuit board and didn't suggest we replace it.
He had diagnosed my set properly from afar and knew which chips to bring
because he had done two similar repairs in the past.

*This* is the kind of guy this country needs. Speaks English well, also
speaks several African languages and perfect French.

Anyway, we all have electronics on our boats. This would be the guy
you'd want to find in a boat electronics service facility, eh?

--
Appearing via Thunderbird on an iMac 3.06
or a Macbook Pro 2.4, running Mac OS 10.56,