HK HK is offline

Default A qualified electronics repairman...

This is a bit off topic, but not far-fetched.

The power supply circuit on my tube HD TV went teats up. I knew what it
was because the manufacturer included a routine that flashed LED codes,
depending upon the problem.

So, I called several repair facilities, and all of them told me about
the same thing...that a repair would run about $350 for a new power
supply circuit board, and $150 for the service call. The set weighs 225
pounds and I wasn't about to muscle it into a shop.

I called another shop, and a fellow with a heavy accent answered. He
asked about the code, then asked me for the model and serial number.
About an hour later, I got a call from him, saying he could fix the set
for about $60 in parts and $125 for the service call. He said he knew
precisely what was wrong and how to fix it.

What the hell. Less than $200 versus $500?

So, he came out the other day and wrestled the set around so he could
free it from its covers. Then he disassembled some large chunks of
electronic and got to a circuit board about the size of the motherboard
in a desktop computer. He brought a soldering table, a magnifying light
and a commercial grade soldering gun with him. In about 20 minutes, he
removed and replace two chips, re-assembled the set and voila!

I was chatting with the guy while he was doing his repairs. He was from
Cameroon, had been here a few years, and learned how to fix TVs in his
native land. "We fix stuff in the Cameroons," he said. "No one has
enough money to buy new."

That's why he fixed the circuit board and didn't suggest we replace it.
He had diagnosed my set properly from afar and knew which chips to bring
because he had done two similar repairs in the past.

*This* is the kind of guy this country needs. Speaks English well, also
speaks several African languages and perfect French.

Anyway, we all have electronics on our boats. This would be the guy
you'd want to find in a boat electronics service facility, eh?

--
Appearing via Thunderbird on an iMac 3.06
or a Macbook Pro 2.4, running Mac OS 10.56,

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:04:52 -0400, HK wrote:

So, I called several repair facilities, and all of them told me about
the same thing...that a repair would run about $350 for a new power
supply circuit board, and $150 for the service call. The set weighs 225
pounds and I wasn't about to muscle it into a shop.

Hell, I'm a little surprised you could find a repair shop. A couple of
times, if the gizmo is small enough, I've sent things to the manufacturer
and had them fixed, sometimes without charge.

I read recently that shoe repair shops are making a comeback. When I was
a kid, getting half-soles or heels was relatively common. These days, I
wouldn't even know where to look.
HK HK is offline

thunder wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:04:52 -0400, HK wrote:

So, I called several repair facilities, and all of them told me about
the same thing...that a repair would run about $350 for a new power
supply circuit board, and $150 for the service call. The set weighs 225
pounds and I wasn't about to muscle it into a shop.

Hell, I'm a little surprised you could find a repair shop. A couple of
times, if the gizmo is small enough, I've sent things to the manufacturer
and had them fixed, sometimes without charge.

I read recently that shoe repair shops are making a comeback. When I was
a kid, getting half-soles or heels was relatively common. These days, I
wouldn't even know where to look.

Some of the big malls have small shops that repair shoes and other
leather goods. I'm tough on shoe heels, and recently had a pair of good
shoes re-soled and re-heeled for about $45 at the Annapolis Mall. The
"uppers" of the shoes were just fine, and they weren't cheapo shoes, so
I thought repairing them was worthwhile. Guy did a fine job.

One of our local dry cleaners has a woman working there who does simple
tailoring and clothing repairs. Also an immigrant, from Vietnam. And if
you hit our local WaWa or 7-11 at 7 am, you'll find a dozen Latinos
there, waiting for their rides to the job. These are all good future
Americans, so I always smile and converse and wish them well.

I don't check the "status" of these workers, by the way. I figure if
they are here and they are working to make a living, that's good enough
for me. That's what my grandparents did when they got here.

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:26:21 -0400, HK wrote:

That's what my grandparents did when they got here.

Somewhere in the lineage, that's true for most of us.

On Mar 18, 1:33 pm, thunder wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:26:21 -0400, HK wrote:
That's what my grandparents did when they got here.

Somewhere in the lineage, that's true for most of us.

People like that are worth their weight in gold. He will never be
unemployed.

On Mar 18, 1:33 pm, thunder wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:26:21 -0400, HK wrote:
That's what my grandparents did when they got here.

Somewhere in the lineage, that's true for most of us.

My niece married a Mexican-American guy. This guy was born in Mexico
but his parents brought him here illegally when he was 6, of course
his parents are still illegals. So, for the wedding, they rented a
beach house and we had a great N. Florida redneck Mexican Jewish Irish
Catholic party. The Mexicans party better than the rest of us.
However, although these people are seriously hard workers and he has a
real job, suddenly the INS came after him. In spite of legal help,
they have given him 30 days to get back to Mexico with no answer to if
he can come back. This couple has been married a year and he's a
great guy. It aint fair.
Now another niece is about to marry a Chinese guy, families get
complicated these days.

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:56:58 -0700, echoclaw wrote:

However,
although these people are seriously hard workers and he has a real job,
suddenly the INS came after him. In spite of legal help, they have
given him 30 days to get back to Mexico with no answer to if he can come
back. This couple has been married a year and he's a great guy. It
aint fair.

I suggest they talk to a *good* immigration attorney. There are legal
defenses in their situation, that could prevent deportation. Good luck to
them.

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:56:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 18, 1:33 pm, thunder wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:26:21 -0400, HK wrote:
That's what my grandparents did when they got here.

Somewhere in the lineage, that's true for most of us.

My niece married a Mexican-American guy. This guy was born in Mexico
but his parents brought him here illegally when he was 6, of course
his parents are still illegals. So, for the wedding, they rented a
beach house and we had a great N. Florida redneck Mexican Jewish Irish
Catholic party. The Mexicans party better than the rest of us.
However, although these people are seriously hard workers and he has a
real job, suddenly the INS came after him. In spite of legal help,
they have given him 30 days to get back to Mexico with no answer to if
he can come back. This couple has been married a year and he's a
great guy. It aint fair.

Following the law isn't rocket science. Some say we need laws.
I'm married to a Polish immigrant, and have been involved in legally
bringing in family member immigrants.
They got in line. Usually took 2 years. Could have come on a visa
and then stayed as illegals. We always rejected that path.
In fact, it was never considered.
A Polish guy a block away from me was here illegally for about 10
years. He was a hard-working, energetic entrepreneur, building houses
using mostly other Polish illegals as labor. He did a terrific job
building the house a block away from me. It's a McMansion type house.
Looks real good. He lived in it less than a year, then got in a fight
with his wife. She ratted him out to the INS and he was deported.
House has been sitting empty over a year now.
My daughter is dating a legal Polish immigrant (American citizen now)
who is an electrical contractor. He's been in tears a few times
because he doesn't have enough work for illegal Polish buddies, and
they have to pack up their families and return to Poland.
Dreams shattered.
My wife is a cook in a corporate setting and most of the staff is
Mexican illegals. Mostly good people, and hard workers.
When you think about it, most of the illegals come here to work.
The energetic people. Layabouts don't bother.
But there are energetic criminal elements too.
It's really a tough problem.
My feeling is the law should be followed with no exceptions.
Sounds hard-hearted, especially in the instance you mentioned.
Brought here as a 6-year-old!
Actually, I would make an exception of him and deport his parents,
who I assume were adults when they broke the law.
He can do the paperwork to bring them back in a couple years.
Legally.
Just my view.

--Vic

ps Mexican and Polish weddings are best. But Irish is good if you
like to fight.

"thunder" wrote in message
t...
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:04:52 -0400, HK wrote:

So, I called several repair facilities, and all of them told me about
the same thing...that a repair would run about $350 for a new power
supply circuit board, and $150 for the service call. The set weighs 225
pounds and I wasn't about to muscle it into a shop.

Hell, I'm a little surprised you could find a repair shop. A couple of
times, if the gizmo is small enough, I've sent things to the manufacturer
and had them fixed, sometimes without charge.

I read recently that shoe repair shops are making a comeback. When I was
a kid, getting half-soles or heels was relatively common. These days, I
wouldn't even know where to look.

We have a couple in the area. But since they also do saddlery and tack
repair, they have a fairly steady business.