HK HK is offline

Default Analyze the accident

Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
a 21' boat and were flipped by 14' to 16' waves.

What were they thinking? That they were invulernable.

They either were too macho or unaware of how quickly weather can change
on the Gulf or both *or* they were so ignorant of the dangers of small
boating, they thought their craft could handle anything they encountered.

I doubt there is a way for guys in the water to flip right-side-up a
boat like that. Might be able to turn back over an open boat, though.

Would the motor start? Doubtful.

I'm not sure the way the boat was anchored was relevant, since it
apparently was rolled over. Had it been anchored from the bow, it
probably would have been swamped and then it would have flipped.

Back in my Jax days, I would go out 20 miles to some manmade reefs, but
only after checking the weather and listening to the weather channel and
only with a pack of other boats. 18-footer. No ePIRB back then.

On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

Waves that size in the Gulf are unusual although with the 33 kt wind
from the NW there is a lot of room for them to build.
My question about anchoring is because I have read several accounts of
boats anchored by the stern, a wave comes over the cut-away transom
and thats the end.
HK HK is offline

Frogwatch wrote:
On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

Oh...you were trolling. Sorry. My mistake.

Frogwatch wrote:
On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

I have been out in 35+ winds in the Gulf, around 8 miles off shore,
while the waves looked 12', I think they were probably closer to 6'.

I can't imagine 14'-16' in the gulf. Who projected the wave height?

"nameless" wrote in message
Frogwatch wrote:
On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

I have been out in the Gulf of Mexico. Google West Cameron 587 location,
and that is as far as I was out there. Or Eugene Island 312. We were
trying to get to a platform in a large crewboat during a hurricane when the
captain had the brainstorm that once we got there, there would be no way to
unload us. So, we went back to Freeport, TX, and spent three days in a
flooded motel.

I spent six years in the Gulf of Mexico. You can believe whatever you like.
I believe what I saw. Those men were simply inexperienced seamen who set
out on a small craft and ran into bad weather. It's quite simple. There
were several mistakes that any seasoned seaman would not have made. First
is going out. Second, not taking an EPIRB. They probably add on after
that, compounding one another.

I've spent time on large boats where there were straps to tie one's self
into your bunk so you didn't roll out. Dangerous stuff in a big boat.
Sometimes even deadly on one of those. Smaller craft are worse.

My sympathies to the families. It is sad to lose someone to poor judgement.

Steve

On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

Next, finding yourself in such a situation, what to do? Should you
simply let anchor #1 go knowing you have #2? Obviously start the
motor before trying to haul in the anchor. I assume strong wind here
was also a major factor in how the boat behaved (data buoy here said
sustained 36 kt with gusts to 42).
Is the boat better off under power in those conditions or with a
drogue deployed from bow? I assume under power.

On Mar 3, 12:19 pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:

Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

No life jackets until they flipped? Under those conditions? Were
they trying to be candidates for the Darwin Award? Really now,
inflatable jackets are comfy, you should always wear them (ok, most of
the time).

On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:

Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

I would have to agree, Darwin suicide award is their best excuse. Not just
for not wearing them, but going out that far in such a small boat. Really
stupid.

On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:

Frogwatch wrote:
This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?
- - -
What went wrong?
From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

I was very surprised at the size of the waves, and here is a graph and
weather report on Saturdays weather 50 miles off of Tampa. The waves
built up VERY fast. According to the survivor found, everyone was
wearing a life vest.
http://www.accuweather.com/regional-...34&partner=rss

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 12:00 pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:

This accident with the NFL players off Clearwater where the boat
overturned is tragic. What went wrong? The weather forecast was poor
when they left shore, so what were they thinking? Was it simply a
matter of being too macho to exercise common sense?
Next, once a boat turns upside down, is there any way to right them?
Once righted, would a motor start (assume a 2 cycle).
I'd like to know how the boat was anchored, was it from the stern,
classical mistake resulting in this.
Going offshore with no EPIRB used to be acceptable but today?

- - -

What went wrong?

From the reports I heard yesterday, the guys went 50 miles offshore in
[...]

Probably too many went to the same corner of the boat to pull anchor.
Acquaintance in a 13 BW was pulling a crab pot when the 3rd person, large
guy walked to the back to help. Boat flipped. They were lucky as all
climbed on the bottom, but the portable VHF went to the bottom of the sea.
Lucky in the fact that a commercial crabber saw them just at dusk and saved
their butts. They should have started back as soon as the wind picked up.
Some of us survive ignorance, others don't. Years ago, I was off Pillar
Point in a 14' boat. Salmon fishing. Looked up and realized that there was
only 2 of us out there. At about 10:30 am in the summer, the wind always
comes up and white caps appear. I had about 5 miles to go to shelter, and
my asshole was puckered the whole trip. Too small a boat for the conditions
I was in. Ignorance of the local conditions. Great Guardian Angel!

Analyze the accident Frogwatch[_2_] General 13 March 5th 09 02:55 PM
CT boating accident Scotty ASA 21 July 30th 07 01:04 AM
More on sailing accident Gordon Cruising 1 March 6th 06 01:07 AM
An accident [email protected] ASA 0 February 28th 06 04:37 AM
Raystown Accident Jim Irvine General 1 July 9th 05 06:11 PM