Default Latest project: A slide in camper for the Nissan

Looked at slide in campers this past weekend and found there is really
nothing available for my Nissan (at least for what I will pay). I
have been looking over the Glen-L site (homebuilt boat and camper
plans and such) and have decided to build the "Importer" because it is
less weight than my payload capacity.
Since well before getting married (since Fall of 1976) have been
camping with my wife in tents. We have gone through three different
tents and I am simply tired of setting it up every time we want to
stay overnight somewhere. I also want a hard sided shelter for areas
with bears, cougars etc. In my younger days, I had run-ins with both
while camping and have the still torn up pack to show for it. Trying
to lie deathly still (sleeping without a tent) while a bear keeps
walking right beside me and then proceeds to tear up a stump by my
head really ruined my sleep one night.
A camper may be like sleeping on our sailboat, yes, its primitive but
is luxurious by comparison to sleeping on the ground in the tent.
Am going to go for simple and basic, not even any cooking stuff aboard
or even running water or toilet (thats what god made trees for). Hope
to finish in just 4 months but am prob wrong. Hopefully, my boat
building experience will be helpful.
Of course this conflicts with many other projects. Cant start till
the dog fence is done. Still working on the Tolman enclosure. Trying
to put Lazy Jacks on the sailboat. Want to sail to the Bahamas. Work
has to fit in there somewhere.

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:54:45 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

Can't you get a cap for the bed? That's what I put on my '66 Ford
F-100, and we camped in the bed. Only two babies then, and plenty of
room. After wasting time looking at used stuff, I drove down to the
cap company in Indiana and they laid some caulk down and screw-gunned
the cap right down. Can't remember the company name. It was an
aluminum cap, side jalousie windows, flush with the cab top.
Maybe you're too old to walk bent over in there.
Couple hundred bucks and it never leaked or had a hardware issue for
the 6-7 years I had it.
Was in a campground in Iowa or Nebraska on the way to Yellowstone
one night when a Porsche with a young couple pulled in to the spot
next to us. We were face to a stiff wind and had the back open, as we
normally had it. Just relaxing before sleep time.
Watched them put up a small tent and go inside. Fast.
I was a bit jealous. Hot car and a hot lady. Traveling light.
About 5 minutes later the wind roared and the skies opened.
Tent went flat. They untangled themselves and got soaked putting it
back up. Went down again a few minutes later, and they repeated.
About half hour later it was dark and the Porsche doors shutting woke
me up.
Tent was flat and they were in that little car, where they slept
sitting up until about dawn. Sad sight. They picked up the tent just
before dawn and pulled out, hopefully to a motel to get some decent
sleep and sex.
Most that weather did to the F-100 was rock it a bit.
Later when I had more kids we used a 9' 12' two-room tent when
camping. Always took close to half an hour to put the thing up, but
it never failed. Did break a lot of stakes getting it tied to hard
ground though.

--Vic

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

4 Wheel Popup campers are great. I think they make them for your truck,
they make for the Tacoma. Aluminum frame and the top pops up quickly. My
Son in law has one and likes it. Likes my Palominorv Bronco B-800 better,
but is a little bigger and better laid out.
They are selling them outside the state of Calif now. Sacramento Bee used
to have ads for used ones. Probably Craigslist better now.
http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/

You could probably make one if handy with a mig welder and spool gun.

On Jan 21, 11:17 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

Will prob get the cap very soon. I had one for my old Nissan and used
it to haul all my boat junk around. I'd hate to sleep in it though.
Tents have been very good to me and since 1976 have not gotten wet in
one. My wife and I estimate we used our Eureka Timberline tent
roughly 400 times once for 90 days straight. When kids came along we
went to a 4 person Eureka and now to an 8 person Eureka. With only
one child left camping with us we wil go back to either a small tent
or a camper.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

or a camper.- Hide quoted text -

I like camping in a tent. With the air mattresses they have now, it's
great!

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

Its funny but my 12 yr old daughter ndoes not want running water in
the camper cuz that wouldnt b e her idea of roughing it. I justb dont
want the bother of it.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

You could probably make one if handy with a mig welder and spool gun.- Hide quoted text -

Bill, how hard is it getting those things on and off the truck?

Super Dinghy Project, latest progress DSK General 2 November 28th 06 05:13 PM
OT, Happy Camper ed General 9 October 17th 05 05:14 PM
Old Town "Camper" bearsbuddy General 6 March 14th 05 09:17 PM
Barge with camper? fraggy Boat Building 17 July 21st 03 04:04 AM